Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Cardinal 3625RT: Good Fulltiming RV?

Hi all,

We are new to RV'ing, and to this forum, so if this is posted in the wrong place please accept my apologies.

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Cardinal for full time use. We are looking at the 3625RT but haven't decidced completely as yet.

My wife is a travelling nurse,and we will be living in the same areas for approximately 3 months before moving on.

My question is this: Is the cardinal a suitable choice for full time living? I know there must be several people that full time in these units, and I would be very grateful for any advice that you can offer.

We haven't bought the tow vehicle yet, but we are looking at the 2011 F350, 3500 etc with dual rear wheels. Looking at the specs, these vehicles should be adequate to tow a cardinal

Thanks,

JimC
jchatt30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

Not sure about the Cardinal...but...I have a 2011 F350 dually Ford that I pull a Salem 32' pull behind trailer and we LOVE the truck. We bought more truck than what we need now but trying to think ahead a few years in case we want to step up to a 5er.
BOB
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
This question is best answered by yourself. I know many people that dont use water in the rv therefore a small water tank is fine.

I would recommend 10 gal gas/electric water heater, at least two slides. Plenty of storage. The rest depends if you want to ruff it or play it safe. I like to ruff it a bit.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Wife and I in 2007 left vt. to cross country and southern canada, 15,000 mi with a 34 ft bird, triple slide, pulled with a new 2007 gmc durmax with the allenson trans. over the rockies, gone 5 months, mileage was 8 to 15 no problems . still going strong. good luck prr_42
prr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

We have a 2010 3625 XL and tow with a F250 with air bags. The only real difference between a 250 and 350 is an additional leaf on the rear suspension. Same power and drive train with tow package. I do not have dual tires and cannot understand the reason for them. Keep in mind that a 3625 is very light for its size, and other posters may not know this particular FW. We find the unit comfortable and extremely well appointed. We have a king bed and I do not think we would do that again. Takes up too much room in the bedroom.
The thing to keep in mind is this is a very large FW. Many older parks cannot accommodate your size. It is also a bit harder to back up, but not a major issue. You will need to fuel at truck stops. You are to long and high for regular gas stations.

Enjoy, Forest River did a find job with this FW. In our 18 months, no repairs. No, I do not work for them. Oh, join the Cardinal RV Club. They are a great resource and good folks.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #6

Cardinal is basically a 3 season RV Similar to the Cedar Creek. They are a nice product that offers a lot for the dollar. But for the money and if you are going to be living in it you might want to consider something more. There is 2011 Mobile Suites advertised in the latest highways magazine for $76.9. Which is probably pretty close to a new Cardinal price.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

We have a Cardinal and it's been great for us the last 4 years. We have a Carriage on order.

I really would suggest you check in with the Cardinal Forum, there are some members that have the rig you are looking at and some members that are full timing it. They can give you some good advice.

CARDINAL RV CLUB
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

I have a 2010 3625 Cardinal that I purchased one year ago. I do not use it fulltime. It have been an excellent unit so far. I live where it snows and it held up fine in a tough winter environment. I tow it with a GMC duramax diesel (3/4 ton). It handles it very well. The finish work inside is excellent and I find it very comfortable to stay in. It has a Red Bird and LX package with custom paint. I can certainly recommend the fifth wheel.
meagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #9

I bought a 2010 3625 in March of this year as my first RV of any type. I travel extensively for work and have been looking at RV's for years but never could bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The trailer can be a little intimidating to pull for the first time just due to the size, but it handles like a dream. I pull with a 2009 F350 SRW and have absolutely no issues.

I spent 2 months in this trailer in Amarillo and have zero complaints. It stays cool and seals well. There was no rain the entire time I was there and even in the 60 mph winds that were common, I had no dust getting though the seals into the coach. All the fixtures are high quality and work flawlessly.

It's a very comfortable RV for full timing. Mine has the heated underbelly and tank heaters for winter (haven't had to use that yet) and dual AC units. The only change I might have made was a queen bed rather than a king. The bedroom is kind of cramped with a king.

I'm gone 250 - 300 days per year and actually look forward to setting up in new place now.

Good luck in your travels!
tnaac5 is offline   Reply With Quote