Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Cardinal 3950TZ

Would like to hear from the Cardinal 3950TZ owners that have owned them awhile. What are your thoughts now? Likes / Dislikes, etc.

I have a 2012 Cardinal 3675RT and really like it, however, I've been checking out the 3950TZ and I'm beginning to like it as well.

Thanks in Advance for your comments!
2014 Ford F350 CC LB FX4 6.7LPSD 3:55 E-Locker
Bellville, Texas
Austin County "Colonial Capital of Texas"
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #2

Smile

We have a 2017 3950tz estate and love it especially all the storage, I've installed a moryde 3960 slide cargo tray in the front basement and love it. We did change the king bed for a queen bed makes the bedroom larger, it also has the upgrade steps with handrail. Go take a look at them
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

I am looking at a 3950 as well. Looks really nice. I'd like some feedback on the Cardinal line as well...
dhpacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

We are enjoying our rig. Really like the layout and all the storage inside and out. The extra storage under the living room is a real plus. The only negative would be the size of the bathroom. Two sinks would make this unit almost perfect!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
We are enjoying our rig. Really like the layout and all the storage inside and out. The extra storage under the living room is a real plus. The only negative would be the size of the bathroom. Two sinks would make this unit almost perfect!
Yes, two bathroom sinks would be nice. Check out the Riverstone 38RE, same floor plan with two bathroom sinks. More expensive brand, but there is a reason for it.
2014 Ford F350 CC LB FX4 6.7LPSD 3:55 E-Locker
Bellville, Texas
Austin County "Colonial Capital of Texas"
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpacy1 View Post
I am looking at a 3950 as well. Looks really nice. I'd like some feedback on the Cardinal line as well...
I can't speak for the 3950 but since you asked for feedback on the Cardinal line, I can tell you we purchased a 3456RL in May and have had it out at least once a month for at least 10 days a month and we absolutely love it.

We previously had a Columbus and actually were planning to purchase another Columbus but once we saw the Cardinal (ours has dual bathroom sinks, residential fridge, etc.) that sealed the deal for us.

And, the workmanship seems to be excellent. We've spent 58 nights in it and only pulled it about 2,200 miles - but we are very impressed with everything about it. No problems - no complaints - no concerns.

(We did put new Goodyear Endurance tires on it the day after purchasing it, and got rid of the Marathons that came on it.)

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
I can't speak for the 3950 but since you asked for feedback on the Cardinal line, I can tell you we purchased a 3456RL in May and have had it out at least once a month for at least 10 days a month and we absolutely love it.

We previously had a Columbus and actually were planning to purchase another Columbus but once we saw the Cardinal (ours has dual bathroom sinks, residential fridge, etc.) that sealed the deal for us.

And, the workmanship seems to be excellent. We've spent 58 nights in it and only pulled it about 2,200 miles - but we are very impressed with everything about it. No problems - no complaints - no concerns.

(We did put new Goodyear Endurance tires on it the day after purchasing it, and got rid of the Marathons that came on it.)
That's awesome to hear. We love the 3950 layout, but saw a 3875fb that we love too. This time around, we decided that we want full body paint and Cardinal has a descent price point. Another brand we considered was Open Range 3x even though they do not offer full body paint, but I have read about A lot of issues with cable slides and frame flex ( which hopefully they have addressed). Thanks for the reply
Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Yes, two bathroom sinks would be nice. Check out the Riverstone 38RE, same floor plan with two bathroom sinks. More expensive brand, but there is a reason for it.
Funny you should mention the Riverstone...I just looked at one. Very nice unit. I may have to see a price on one...
Old 11-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #9

2017 TZ

We purchased one in July and finally got it in September. It seemed like a no brainer as the dealer took the FB paint job right off the top, gave us the discount you'd expect to get, offered $ for our 22 year old trade and then offered to give more off if we don't show up with it. We upgraded the tires to 614G's and put in on-demand water heater at no charge. Minor hydraulic leak had to be addressed and main tv had issues on 1st trip (21 days). Factory backing Ok so far. Had great time and are still imagining things to buy for it to use the ample storage provided. I looked at many of the others worth consideration and found issues with floor plans, colors offered, general weight, or price point that would be a put off given were not FT RVers. This seemed to fit all the items we were looking for at a reasonable price. Finding one without having to go halfway across the country was also a plus.
RCPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPatt View Post
We purchased one in July and finally got it in September. It seemed like a no brainer as the dealer took the FB paint job right off the top, gave us the discount you'd expect to get, offered $ for our 22 year old trade and then offered to give more off if we don't show up with it. We upgraded the tires to 614G's and put in on-demand water heater at no charge. Minor hydraulic leak had to be addressed and main tv had issues on 1st trip (21 days). Factory backing Ok so far. Had great time and are still imagining things to buy for it to use the ample storage provided. I looked at many of the others worth consideration and found issues with floor plans, colors offered, general weight, or price point that would be a put off given were not FT RVers. This seemed to fit all the items we were looking for at a reasonable price. Finding one without having to go halfway across the country was also a plus.
Great review. Do you feel the overall build quality is Good? Paint holding up well?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #11

I'm shocked they are still shipping these with E rated Marathons.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

3950TZ return response

Build quality is what I expected as in doing a couple of years researching units on-line, at shows, and the forums. Regardless of brand or price your going to have some issues. Finding the right place for service of what you can't fix is key (plus a phone # to FR Cardinal Warranty). As I said we had a hydraulic issue and Local FR product dealers couldn't help immediately or wouldn't service a line they don't sell. Coach-Net came out for $200 up front only to say they couldn't fix it after five minutes. It got fixed by the dealer eventually. Our first trip we had the televator not go up all the way up and found the cheap flakeboard strip used to mount it had totally broken. I replaced it with stronger wood plus built support shelf under the televator to take the weight. TV dropping like that caused issues which warranty will take care of per my dealer. If you buy anything get a very good delivery inspection tour as there is much to learn. Ask questions about it all. Get all the manuals, or model #s of anything you want a manual for in case you need to download them. Paint on mine holding up fine. Covering for winter and wash/wax in spring. Shopping for goodies now while it's hibernating.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpacy1 View Post
Great review. Do you feel the overall build quality is Good? Paint holding up well?
I too am looking for a Cardinal 3920TZLE because it's tongue weight is 2560 LB and the 3950TZLE tongue weight is 2785 LB and my GMC 2500HD Denali can only go to 2700 lb which makes the 3950 85 lb more than it can handle. The 3920tzle is new cause I couldn't find one and RV 1 in Albany would need to order it cause they don't carry the brand on the lot but do get occasional requests. I bought our 2016 ROCKWOOD SIGNATURE LITE at RV 1 and they have been very responsive to the repairs that have been done to it under warranty. Any thoughts?
CharlieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieA View Post
I too am looking for a Cardinal 3920TZLE because it's tongue weight is 2560 LB and the 3950TZLE tongue weight is 2785 LB and my GMC 2500HD Denali can only go to 2700 lb which makes the 3950 85 lb more than it can handle. The 3920tzle is new cause I couldn't find one and RV 1 in Albany would need to order it cause they don't carry the brand on the lot but do get occasional requests. I bought our 2016 ROCKWOOD SIGNATURE LITE at RV 1 and they have been very responsive to the repairs that have been done to it under warranty. Any thoughts?
Charlie, just to clarify.
5th wheels have Pin Weight
Travel Trailers have Tongue Weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #15

Don't know about 3920. Forest River started using the additional letters after their numbers (LE, etc) because as in my case (3950TZ) it was available in their merchandise offerings as a regular and estate version. Only by comparing what the vehicle specs could it be determined which you have. As I said I've only had it for a short time so paint is holding up fine and I intend to keep it washed and waxed regularly with a high quality product such as Rejex or Aerowash. I don't know where your located to know how convenient your dealer is to you, but get a price from them on how you want it equipped. It might be higher than a dealer that carries that line. I got mine from Susquehanna RV in Selinsgrove, PA. It was the closest dealer to me (3 hrs) carrying that line which I wanted. They gave me a great price and have been terrific about a couple of small issues I had. I can call with any question and get an answer without attitude and they seem to have a good connection to the factory for warranty issues. My deal was fantastic in my opinion with the full-body paint cost being taken right off the top, plus the seemingly normal RV discount, and changes such as upgrading the tires to G614s and on-demand water heater being thrown in. Trailer was equipped with many of the optional upgrades as well. If it's not too far from you it might be worth checking out as your really not going to go to the dealer regularly after purchase and might have a local dealer that would do your warranty work which many do not want to do unless they carry that line.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPatt View Post
Don't know about 3920. Forest River started using the additional letters after their numbers (LE, etc) because as in my case (3950TZ) it was available in their merchandise offerings as a regular and estate version. Only by comparing what the vehicle specs could it be determined which you have. As I said I've only had it for a short time so paint is holding up fine and I intend to keep it washed and waxed regularly with a high quality product such as Rejex or Aerowash. I don't know where your located to know how convenient your dealer is to you, but get a price from them on how you want it equipped. It might be higher than a dealer that carries that line. I got mine from Susquehanna RV in Selinsgrove, PA. It was the closest dealer to me (3 hrs) carrying that line which I wanted. They gave me a great price and have been terrific about a couple of small issues I had. I can call with any question and get an answer without attitude and they seem to have a good connection to the factory for warranty issues. My deal was fantastic in my opinion with the full-body paint cost being taken right off the top, plus the seemingly normal RV discount, and changes such as upgrading the tires to G614s and on-demand water heater being thrown in. Trailer was equipped with many of the optional upgrades as well. If it's not too far from you it might be worth checking out as your really not going to go to the dealer regularly after purchase and might have a local dealer that would do your warranty work which many do not want to do unless they carry that line.
Thanks for that. Very good input. I'm will call them.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #17

Cardinal 5th wheel 3950TZ AND 3920TZ

Thanks for the Suggestion to go to Susquehana. hey are approximately 2 hours away and same distance as Albany,NY. There is also a dealer in Port Jervis which is about 20 minutes from the house if that and I will try them too.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieA View Post
Charlie, if the 225#'s is a problem, then the 3920TZLE will be too heavy for you too. Those pin weights are measured on dry weight. A more accurate estimate, would be to take the listed pin weight and divide it by the dry weight to give you the %. Then take the listed GVWR and multiply by that % to give you an estimate of pin weight once you are loaded up. that is the number you want to be able comfortably carry.

Last thing you want to do is sign on the dotted line, and then find out your current truck isnt up to the task, and be forced into another decision, sell the trailer, or buy a new truck.

These are heavy trailers, my 1-ton Ford F350 tows fine, but from a pin-weight perspective, I wouldnt want to be any heavier than I am.

Good luck on whatever you do! We love our 3850RL.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #19

85 pounds is not a problem. Mine is300 over . Been pulling it for over 40,000 miles
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #20

Thanks for letting me know. Is your truck balanced with the trailer on it. What I mean is the truck even or is it high in the front and lower in the rear because of the weight of the trailer?

Tags
cardinal