Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #1

Carpet replacement

We have a used 40' Cardinal, and among a long list of things I want to do is replace the carpet/tile. Camping World wants 5,000 or more. Can it be done cheaper?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Did you consider your local flooring store?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 11-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

Just not sure how to attach it to the dining/living slide that raises up and the carpet is kind of floating over the edge.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #4

Let the carpet expert figure out how to attach it and give you a price so that you will know if CW is really that outrageous. The pros also have tools to bind the carpet edge that hangs over. That's what you pay them for. Some residential/commercial carpet folks will consider doing RV work. But most will not. Also, check out services on craigslist or even post a request on craigslist. If you get a response, be sure to ask for references.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #5

Great advice! We just had a horrific experience putting hardwood floors in our house (9 months of pain and they are still not right). Lowes is worthless in their contract services and looks like a law suit in the making. Just the thought of doing floors is chilling.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

I did flooring for 40 years Cardinal Queen, and yes, it is a gamble to get the right installer. The installation is based on installer investigation. It will take a small amount of time to figure out, so as not to damage slide conditions or anything else that would interfere with mechanics of any kind. I would say probably most of the installers in the industry have not touched an rv. Not to say they couldn't do it. The price of the material and the labor, of course are another problem. They both have a huge range of costs. Carpet ranges anywhere from $5 to $50/sq. yrd. including the cushion. Labor ranges from $2 to $15/ sq. yrd. The price tags at the stores should have sq.ft. prices and sq. yrd. prices. And the price of the labor does not guarantee quality. That is the nature of the beast. If you can figure your square footage and then divide by 9, you can get a good investigation of your own on the pricing. I had to deal with a lot of the labor problems when I was in the field. Good Luck
Larry
Old 11-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #7

Another thought I've had and maybe you can weigh in on this Larry is while we often think to ourselves that the padding and carpet installed at the factory is cheap and does not hold up, there are a couple of key things that come to mind which create somewhat of a "catch 22". I've been told over the years that the thicker the pad, the better it is on your carpet. Also, most nice carpet seams to be a better thicker grade than what comes in our RVs. HOWEVER, I think part of the reason for minimal pad and thin carpet in today's RV is to allow for the slides to operate. My minimal knowledge and common sense says that if you install thick pad and plush carpet, the slide will not move over them easily and actually may damage the carpet over time. It's just too thick while the manufacturer's pad and carpet is thin and allows the slide to come and go without damaging it. Does this make sense? I'm sure you can get really nice carpet that is not thick and "plush", but I do think carpet thickness could be an issue with slides.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

The pad or cushion under the carpet act like shocks of a car. Too soft and trauma takes place. The rule of thumb is the denser the pad the longer the carpet lasts. Even the cheaper carpet will last longer. A while back, thick cushion was "WOW". Not the thing to do. I don't know if you were around when horse hair pad was used. Wool carpet was installed on top. Lasted 20 to 40 yrs. Different era now. Nothing lasts like it use to. Commercial installations lasted longer due to that type of pad. Horse hair went out with the allergy problems, in comes synthetic pad. As long as you use a dense pad no more than 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, you will be fine. What you want from the sales person is some science. What are the pounds of density. The best is 10 and the average is 6 pounds. If they don't know, make them document their answer. Carpet is based on density also. There is a science to the width of the rows and the stitching, but too complicated for this discussion. Nylon is the best material. The yarns should have a 6 twist form minimum. No more than 5/8 inch thick. Fold the carpet over to expose the row spacing and compare to others. The closer the better.
Larry
Old 11-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #9

You can also get a 1/4 inch thick pad with a high density. You can also get a very dense thinner carpet. Of course the denser and thinner will come with a cost, not real bad. It's more of a commercial type. It will last though. The other problem is the loop "Berber" type carpets. Snags!
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

If your slides shows wear on your carpet now.Dont go with a thick carpet.Use a 3/8 8 lb rebound pad.Pad is the heart of your carpet.
Pad can be In various colors.Dont get one that is a solid color.
Most of it is foam and will not last.
As for installation make sure there is plenty of heat.Carpet stretches better.
As for 5k. Dollars camping world wants.That is very high price to me.But that's without seeing what their selling to you.
There are ways to do it yourself if your are handy with razor knives and have precise cutting.

Tags
replacement