Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Does a 2007 Cardinal 36TS have arctic package as standard?

I'm thinking of buying an '07 Cardinal 36TS but it is located a couple of hundred miles away and owned by someone who inherited it and doesn't know much about RVs.

I want to use it in a mountain area that gets in the teens on some winter nights.

Did Cardinal insulate these with a four seasons or Arctic Package as standard, or was it an option? The owner says it has a switch that says "Tank Heater" on it at the power station and it has an enclosed underbelly.

Is the microwave also a convection oven in these units, or a standard microwave?

Any idea? And any other info you have is appreciated.

Thanks!
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #2

As far as I know, an "arctic pack" or what ever some manufacturers call them is not available on Cardinals. Cardinals already have an upgraded insulation package as standard. Go to the Forest River web site and look at the insulation values that are standard from the factory. Plus all slides are three way insulated to match the walls/ceilings. Tank heaters are 120VAC electric. And the microwave is a regular micro unless they have the cook top only option and then you get one.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #3

We have a Cardinal, If there is a switch for the "tank heater" that will heat the tanks in cold weather. We also ordered our with insulated glass. We live in Minnesota and have used it here in the winter.

Convection microwave is an option.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #4

the tank heaters on my cedar creek are 12V
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

I have a 04 33RLBW which has a control panel near the front door that says ARCTIC PaCK on it and has multiple switches. 1 was for tank Heater but I am not sure about rest, I have not yet taken delivery but expect to in a week.
btjapkes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Anacortesians

Our Georgetown Class A has the Arctic Pack (or, as FR insists the "artic pack"). Hate to tell them that "artic" is UK slang for an 18-wheeler, short for "articulated lorry".

IMO it's a really dumb system design. The heating pads are 12 volts DC and draw 7 amps each. My MH has two on the grey tank and two on the black tank. According to the manufacturer's documantation, the non-adjustable thermostats turn the power on when the tank gets down to 40F and keeps them on until the contents have reached 60F. Who needs to heat up the sewage to 60 degrees?!

I expected the system to be similar to the "frost-stat" system in houses. I also worry about the effect on the tanks of pushing 160 Watts into a relatively small area of the tank surface if it happened to be empty. I was so perturbed by the possibilites of problems with the system, I've disconnected it. We don't use the RV in very cold weather (that's what the S&B house is for!) and it's rare for us to get low temps much below 25F and almost never does it stay below freezing all day in winter.

If you need to "cook" the sewage to prevent freezing, I'd be tempted to disconnect the original thermostats and install the kind used on house plumbing systems that turn on around 34 degrees and off again at around 40. If I remember my high-school physics class correctly, dissolved contamination lowers the temperature at which water freezes, so the holding tank contents might not freeze up until 28F or so.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Who manufactures this system? It is not addressed in the owners manual.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #8

If all you have is a tank heater, the rest of them lights, batteries and tank levels, you do not have an arctic pack installed.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Dallas Texas

My 04 has them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02458.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	20978  
Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

Very similar to the panel in my 04 33RLBW.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

The Artic pack was an option up until 2005 and then it was a standard option after that. The Micowave is a regular standard microwave unless the purchaser ordered the convection as an upgrade. As for the insulation about the only wy to tell what thickness would be to pull down a panel and look.
Ca Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #12

@Texasbbq

Your control panel is the same as mine. I know what the L, R & RED switches are. What is the switch you labelled INSIDE?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
My 04 has them.
My control panel is the same. What is the switch labelled INSIDE for?

Tags
cardinal