Old 12-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Issue

I over filled my fresh tank this last week which I have done many times, however this time the pressure was a bit more wasnít using my pressure regulator.

I was sitting in the living room when all of a sudden a huge popping noise shook the house and the dog jumped up. Yup the tank over expanded.

When I looked the under belly materiel was sagging a bit but the tank was holding water. Once the tank was emptied I got the belly opened up to investigate. What I saw was pretty shocking. In my 3450RL the tank is in the very back and there was a bracket built cross wise and attached to the framework. There had been 3 pieces of flat stock steel holding the tank that one would think should have been welded to the tank frame not GLUED WITH LAP SEALANT? See photo 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	158559
The main tank frame had been made with angle iron and logic would say that the flat metal should have been place so that it sat on the top horizontal part of the angle🤫not glued to the bottom???? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	158562see photo 2 also notice the rust. Why isnít this painted or powder coated?? Shame on you FR.

My fix is added several more pieces of flat metal THAT I PAINTED and flipped the bent pieces which I ground the rust off and PAINTED then welded into place. Oh and I put the flat metal on TOP of the horizontal angle iron. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	158561 see photo 3.

The other fun thing I found is that most of the fiberglass insulation that was in the rear cap assembly was sitting on the bottom so when the under belly opened it all spilled out. Ibsee a foil like covering that looks like it once was attached or should have been attached some where so that all the insulation doesnít fall out. Not sure how Iím going to fix that.
If anyone from FR reads this perhaps you can help me figure this out.

Walking thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Scoundrel

I've seen many problems with FW tanks on Micro-Lites and Mini-Lites but not on 5rs. Nice work adding more support. I would take photos of the fallen insulation and contact FR directly.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

I will be back under there tomorrow. See my next post on what I found with a cold floor and draft near my furnace. Crazy
Walking thunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank