Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 177
Front jacks, one in-op?

2008 Cardinal, 30RK. Yesterday setting up here in Asheville, NC, the drivers side jack had to lift the fiver, the drive mechanism is turning to op side but d that jack is not extending? So, wondering if this is a quick fix or a major repair issue?
Thanks for feedback,
Wanderer
__________________

__________________
2008 Cardinal 30RK fiver.
2009 Chevrolet 2500HD DuroMax

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Broken bolt on the cross over pipe/tube?

With the front storage door open does it turn?
__________________

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Broken bolt on the cross over pipe/tube?

With the front storage door open does it turn?
The bolt is loose, but the shaft is turning. Will have to verify the inner part of pipe/ube is not slipping.
Thankst
__________________
2008 Cardinal 30RK fiver.
2009 Chevrolet 2500HD DuroMax

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
The bolt is loose, but the shaft is turning. Will have to verify the inner part of pipe/ube is not slipping.
Thankst
UPDATE: The bolt was broken and 3/4 of had fallen to the floor of storage compartment. Got new bolt and nut, installed, now it seems the drive motor only wants to retract; when you try to extend, it rachets or doesn't rotate at all????

So with this update in mind, what is the Cardinal readers consensus/suggestions?
Is it possible the drive motor is failed/failing??

Thanks for suggestions,
Wanderer
__________________
2008 Cardinal 30RK fiver.
2009 Chevrolet 2500HD DuroMax

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Had to take mine apart in Whitehorse cause of the same problem. The jack has to be taken out of its mount and disassembled. On the top of the screw shaft there is of hole that holds a cross pin. When the cross pin becomes bent it slips in the indented washer which is the ratcheting sound you here. The pin needs to be replaced. It's a good time to lube the internal works while you at it. If it's a Lippert jack their web site had a schematic of the jack and its internal parts.
__________________
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke8319 View Post
Had to take mine apart in Whitehorse cause of the same problem. The jack has to be taken out of its mount and disassembled. On the top of the screw shaft there is of hole that holds a cross pin. When the cross pin becomes bent it slips in the indented washer which is the ratcheting sound you here. The pin needs to be replaced. It's a good time to lube the internal works while you at it. If it's a Lippert jack their web site had a schematic of the jack and its internal parts.
Thank you for feedback, that is exactly what the problem was, my ignorance of the way this system operates cost me $800.00 yesterday, this for RV service to park where were having the service guys jack up unit so we could hitchcup then at the service center, they first pulled the motor transmission. It was ok but dry as a bone. after that they pulled the passenger side leg and that roll pin had in fact broken. all in all it was an expensive learning experience.
Wanderer
__________________
2008 Cardinal 30RK fiver.
2009 Chevrolet 2500HD DuroMax

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Thank you for feedback, that is exactly what the problem was, my ignorance of the way this system operates cost me $800.00 yesterday, this for RV service to park where were having the service guys jack up unit so we could hitchcup then at the service center, they first pulled the motor transmission. It was ok but dry as a bone. after that they pulled the passenger side leg and that roll pin had in fact broken. all in all it was an expensive learning experience.
Wanderer
Wow!

Anyway glad it is working now, travel safe.

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
FYI, if you do have Lippert jacks it is much easier and CHEAPER to call Lippert and buy a new jack (if that works for you). When my second jack went out I took that one apart and found several parts rather warn out. Called Lippert and I think the new jack was around $300 and took 20 minutes to install and rewire. Boy, is that one quieter....
__________________

__________________
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jacks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.