Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Full Body Paint

I have a 2015 3825FLThat I took delivery of at the end of December.

The 2nd time I hooked up Jan 2nd, I noticed the cracking in the paint on the bottom of the front corners and along the seams where the caulk is.

Just wondering if any others are experiencing this problem. My dealer has 2 more Cardinals w Full body paint setting on the lot and they both have the same problem.

Thanks In Advance

Billy
Biily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Well, here are my 2 cents....get it professionally assessed, documented and authorized for repair. The sooner, the better!

My 2015 Silverback had to have the front cap re painted locally. Factory warranty.

Do not boggle your thoughts of other similar RV's or solutions. You OWN THIS ISSUE! The solution on similar units may or may not hold up. Do NOT kick the can down the road. It possibly will hit you in the resale.

$200,000 motorhomes have quality full body paint. They have accidents. They get repaired to new condition.
Find a place if your dealer is not proficient in this type of body repaint.

The factory WILL work with you. They stood behind me 100%. My small dealer is 1500 miles round trip and not able to handle paint and body repair. I had it completed at a major RV center 6 miles from home!

Good luck....document, document!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

Hi Billy,

You won't believe this but I just posted in general discussion exterior the exact same problem with our 2015 3450RL that we picked up on 4/10/15. After my post in that section I jumped to the Cardinal section and couldn't believe that you had posted with the exact same problem. We are taking our rig in this Monday for body work that is warranty work from the local snow plowers damaging her this winter prior to our buying her. I was planning on brining this to their attention at the same time. It is beginning to sound like a recurring problem? My husband's question is "how can we not have this problem? They spray over the caulk with the paint and normal flexing will cause the paint to crack at the flex points". He wonders if they should have caulked over the paint instead? I wonder is this fixable? Seems he and I do a lot of wondering....also, had our rig washed and the guy pointed out that there was missed paint at the window frame at the bedroom slide......might check yours too.

Val and Sheri
valandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #4

1 of many
Old 05-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Billy, ours is a 2013 and our paint is also cracking just below the water trough on both sides. The odd part is it just happens to be above where the two rear slides are. I have spoke with others and everyone seems to agree that it is the caulking that didn't cure properly. It is actually at camping world right now having this issue along with a few others fixed.
From your pic it appears that there was just way too much caulking applied. Although it may just be the angle. Do u have anymore pics? This one is the right side, but the left is doing the same thing. JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431522477.769075.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	76842

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

We have the same issue with our 2014 3450 under the hitch above the front storage. The dealer said it was because they caulk them and then paint them. Also along the roof seam in the back curbside. Had to re-caulk with matching caulk. We had a friend who paints race cars match the color so we could touch it up.
Meemaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Meemaw,
Are you still within the warranty period with your RV?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

Full Body Paint

Billy,
We had purchased an extended warranty. However, we had a blowout last month so there will be body work done including painting. I will be interested to see how they repair/paint the full body paint. Most of the repair is painting.
Meemaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

Jerry,

I have a few more pics I can share, the pic above doesn't have much caulk at all. I'll share another picture of the caulk.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #10

I have a 2010 3625 with full body paint. I wash 4 times a year and wipe down 6 to 10 times a year. I use a liquid cleaner wax and follow with a marine RV clear coat past wax 2 to 3 times a year. I have a little cracking at the curve above the bulk head, but that is it.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote