Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #1

Generator fix for those that have the PCI control panel

I wanted to give this information to all those that have a Genset installed. If you have a 5500 onan you should be receiving 44.8 amps of available power, and chances are you are not. The problem is that the Precision Control panel that controls amperage coming on board is limiting the Genset to 30 amps only. I got involved with this when I was boondocking, and was unable to operate my 2 ac's and other components when I knew the Genset was capable of putting out the necessary amperage.
Well, after some investigation, and a look at the schematic I found that the factory had not run a 12 gauge sensing wire to put the control panel to sleep, and allow the Genset to operate a its full capability.
While at the FROG rally I was involved with production folks to correct this problem, and it will be incorporate in the future. The problem is there are hundreds of rigs out there that have a $5000.00 boat anchor. The fix is not to difficult, and the drawing can be obtained at https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/?s=forest+river for your installed control board. Here you will find the schematic to show you the wire that needs to be connected to the Gen Contol Set. Forest River capped the wire, so when you pull the panel you will see the capped orange wire, go figure.
I fixed two Cardinals and one Riverstone at the rally in two days so it is not too hard. The Forest River folks could not fix the coaches at the rally until engineering bought off on it. I hope this helps those that have Gensets and or are anticipating buying a Genset.
Good Luck and enjoy the use of your generator
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

Thanks!
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

More info please

I would like a bit more specific info. I located the capped orange wire but I’m not clear on where to connect it to. I am not good at reading schematics. I have pics of my PCI panel wire bundle and of my remote start/ hour meter. The schematic of the hour meter wiring shows an orange wire on P+. The wire color installed is blue/white. The wire color of the remote start/ hour meter doesn’t match the Onan schematic.
Am I on the right track or completely off base. I have been slowly working my way thru all of the systems in my 3825FL. My second Cardinal.
Thanks for any info you may be willing to pass on.
CnKTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #4

Gen Set Repair

If you have an auto start switch installed, I believe you said the Onan 30C. If you have that switch or any other switch you just need to splice the orange wire to the start side of the generator switch. This will put the PCI board to sleep, when the gen set is running, allowing the full output of the generator.
If you do not have a switch installed, you will have to pull a 12 gauge wire to the electrical bay were the LCI components are installed. If you have a 3850 this would be on the passenger side, behind the access panel. Once you remove the panel, you will see a gen control module with a wire bundle running to it. Here you will find an orange wire that you can splice your pulled wire with and obviously the other end to the orange wire coming from the PCI panel.
You will now have a functioning generator. Hope this helps
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator