Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Gray water valve wonít close all the way

De-winterized my 2017 3825fl this morning and for some reason my gray valve wonít close all the way, anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

racindirt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

If you can pull cable back to open position , put some plumbers faucet grease along the cable an work it back an forwards. Any chance water got down inside the cable , it gets rusty. My wife came up with a good idea, she bought some white duct tape to match inside the area with all the water controls and tanks, put a clear sheet of plastic under the hoses, which covered the tanks lines and it keeps water away from cables . I put the grease on all the tank cables at least once a month or more. Water is a enemy of the tank cables. Hopefully that's not the problemClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522095255.802853.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	166261

Pipcoo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #3

I've had nothing but problems with my dump valve cable pulls as well. I keep lubing them with silicone, but that doesnt last long. Last spring they were stuck so tight, I couldnt pull them open at all. Had to take it back to dealer to be fixed, since it was still under warranty. This spring, I'll be replacing them all with Barker Autodrain dump valves eliminating the cable problem all together.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racindirt06 View Post
De-winterized my 2017 3825fl this morning and for some reason my gray valve wonít close all the way, anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

did you leave your valves open all winter? It doesnt help when those valves/seals dry out. You might try running some water through the tank to see if that helps. the other thing is that there could be some debris lodged in there from when they built the trailer. I had to have the dealer tear mine apart and they found pieces of wood/staples lodged in the valve from building the unit.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
did you leave your valves open all winter? It doesnt help when those valves/seals dry out. You might try running some water through the tank to see if that helps. the other thing is that there could be some debris lodged in there from when they built the trailer. I had to have the dealer tear mine apart and they found pieces of wood/staples lodged in the valve from building the unit.

No I didnít leave open all winter, it feels like something is definitely in the way. When I try and force it to close something pushes the valve to open back up just alittle. I donít have time to get to the dealer we are headed on a trip this Friday. Just gonna have to make the best of it.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
No I didnít leave open all winter, it feels like something is definitely in the way. When I try and force it to close something pushes the valve to open back up just alittle. I donít have time to get to the dealer we are headed on a trip this Friday. Just gonna have to make the best of it.
You can try pushing a running hose with water up the discharge to try to dislodge whatever might be in there?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
You can try pushing a running hose with water up the discharge to try to dislodge whatever might be in there?

Leave the valve open? Then put running water? Keep black tank closed?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Leave the valve open? Then put running water? Keep black tank closed?
Yea, I'm assuming the gray tank is now empty, and yes leave the black valve closed! Your goal is to dislodge the obstruction.

Another method that may work is to close the valve as best you can, and put the discharge cap on too to keep the water from leaking out, and fill the affected gray tank with a lot of water like completely full, then pull the valve, hoping to dislodge whatever is in there with the pressure of the water flow.

The last option, is you'll have to go under the trailer, and take down part of the coroplast, visually inspect the valve itself to determine if its the cable that is the problem, or the valve itself. The valves are pretty easy to take apart, 4 bolts and it separates. If you are going to do that, get yourself some replacement valve seals and put new ones in there while you have it apart.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #9

Also, I didnt ask, but is water actually leaking out? Sometimes the dump handles dont "feel" like they are closed, but they were.....

Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Also, I didnt ask, but is water actually leaking out? Sometimes the dump handles dont "feel" like they are closed, but they were.....

Yes water leaks out
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes water leaks out

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes water leaks out
Forever? Until the tank is empty? Or just a small amount? I know it sounds odd, but the tank valves the way they are plumbed in my 3850RL even after closing the valve, will leave some water puddled up in the discharge pipe after the valve. Made me think mine were still leaking after the dealer worked on them.

Quite often, when I arrive at my next camping location, and hookup a sewer hose, a small amount of water will come out(maybe 1/4-1/2 cup). But if I am camping, and leave the outer sewer cap off, and all the valves are closed, it wont keep draining.

For me that 1/4 cup or so of "sewer" is disgusting, so I installed one of these on the end:

Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

So that I can connect my sewer hose, and then open that, and then finally the appropriate black/gray valves.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Lightbulb

First off, if you don't have one of these Valterra Sewer Gate Valves ($25 at Camping World, get one!

And make sure you get the one that attaches just like the hoses do.

I recently had the same problem, so I came with an idea and it seemed to work!

First, I drained the gray tank and rinsed it out pretty good, then I left it for a few minutes so that all of the water would dribble out.

I closed the Valterra gate valve, but left the trailer's gray valve open, then I squeezed a bunch of Dawn dish soap directly into one of the kitchen sink drains and let it settle in.

Then, I put the sink plug in both sides of the double kitchen sink and filled both of them with HOT water, then one at a time I pulled the plug and let the hot water and Dawn dish soap run into the gray tank.

Now, the reason the Valterra is important is that once that hot water and Dawn combination was down in the tank, most of it went down into the drain pipe (confirmed by putting my hand on the pipe and could feel the warmth of the hot water), which was also where the trailer's valve is.

Now, with the hot water and the grease eating action of the Dawn For Dishes in there, I was now able to slide the trailer's valve open and closed several times, then I closed it and left it for an hour or so, every once in awhile sliding it open and closed just to loosen things up.

After awhile, I pulled the Valterra gate valve and drained and the trailers gate valve seemed to work smoothly after that.

It has been about three weeks since I did that and it still seems to be working pretty good!

I think I may do that every so often when I drain the tank to keep the flow going...kinda like oiling a bicycle chain!
Attached Images

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #14

Just ordered it! It will be here tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #15

Iím assuming you take that off going down the road? Thanks for all the help guys. My dealer is so far away, hoping these ideas fix the problem.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #16

X2 on carrying the extra valve. Luckily we havenít needed it yet, but prepared in case.
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #17

Sometimes the cables are routed in tight loops against the manufacturers recommendation causing nothing but problems and no lubrication can fix this.
Another possibility could be the seal becoming dislodged in the blade valve assembly if it dried out over the winter and got stuck to the actual blade, which is not always a pleasant thing to fix.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Iím assuming you take that off going down the road? Thanks for all the help guys. My dealer is so far away, hoping these ideas fix the problem.
No. Stays on all the time. Put the sewer cap on it when travelling.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #19

I never take mine off!

The whole reason I bought in the first place was because once when I came down a mountain dirt road, unbeknownst to me, the black tank valve bounced open from all the chatter bumps in the road.

And when I went to dump the tanks, imagine my surprise when I took the cap off and that little space was filled with...

Well, I'll leave that to your imagination.

I unfortunately lost a brand new pair of Coleman sandals, if that says anything.

DOH!

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #20

Here is a shot of mine permanently installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	166343