Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Greetings - Bought 2014 3850

Hello,

Just purchased a 2014 3850 FR Cardinal and wanted to ask if there are things that I should do to the unit. I pick it up Saturday 8/31/13.

OneTon4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Check all the slids when open to see if the are any black rubber marks on edges. Close all the slides and make sure that when closed the slide is in evenly on both sides. Go up on the roof and make sure it is intact. Take it home open the slides go on the roof with a hose and water around your ac and on your slides to see if any gaskets are leaking. Camp out in your driveway and sleep in it and use and try everything. Even take a shower in it . Be sure to check the lugs air pressure and brake adjust if they are manual. Dont believe anything the dealer tells you, that it is all taken care of. Better you know for sure then find out the hard way . You want your first real glamping experience with your new trl to be one to savor and not one you would rather forget!
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Go find a campground close by and spend 2 nights. Like said above try everything. Take a notepad and a pen and start writing everything down. Make an appointment for the Monday after the camping trip. You will drop it off with a list of things they need to do and a list of things you don't know how to do for them to show you again.

DO NOT make your first trip your "fantasy" camping trip. You will be disappointed.

I had to live out of the coolers we brought for 2 days. On Monday they ordered a new refrigerator after they realized the whole unit was bad.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #4

Thanks to all. Very good advice
Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Electric Brakes

My last RV was a toy-hauler with electric brakes that gave me constant problems with shorts or no ground connections. I finally converted the axles to hydrolic disc brakes.
Does the Cardinals have good electric brakes? Any issues with them fading when hot?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2014 Cardinal 3850.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #7

Thumbs up congrats!!!

Like everyone else make a list write down even the smallest things. I have a 2008 Cardinal 30LE and it has electric brakes and I havent had any problems with them. I dont know if you cook alot in your camper but when we got ours it was several months after we went to use the oven and it wouldnt work so check everything.
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTon4Fun View Post
Hello,

Just purchased a 2014 3850 FR Cardinal and wanted to ask if there are things that I should do to the unit. I pick it up Saturday 8/31/13.

GO THROUGH IT WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB!

I had a 2008 Forest River product (was very happy with the 2008 camper). I just traded it in on a new Cardinal 3850 5th wheel. I have had challenges with the 3850 5th wheel since day 1. Why? Attention to detail and poor workmanship from the factory.

#1. Grey and Black tanks mislabeled and did not drain properly. RESULT- Grey tank had to be replaced after flooding underbelly and destroying insulation. Make sure your tanks are labeled properly and working accordingly

#2. Exposed Wiring in camper. A complete fire hazard which I discovered only after troubleshooting a false alarm with my propane alarm detector. i have attached a picture of what the wiring looked like from the factory.

3. Check all your slides to make sure they are opening and closing properly. Look for leaks. ( I would strongly suggest you have them power rinse while you are there to see if any leaks are coming through) Dealer will pay a lot more attention to it if you refuse to take deliver as opposed to once you have it in your possession.

4. Do a detailed walk through so you understand all applications and buttons.

5. Check for screw holes and wood patches from nails. Ensure they are covered to your satisfaction.

Quality has definitely dropped off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	42339  
Cardinal 3850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
2014 Cardinal

I bought a 2014 cardinal 3850 fifth wheel and has a lot of issues leaking slides screws falling out of control panels. slide not level Quality is at it's lowest . It's back at the factory. Wanted a different camper They said no. They said they would fix the one we have bought. And this is just a small fraction what's wrong with it. You are right do not take possession of a camper until you have look at every nook and cranny for issues .
northwestill is offline   Reply With Quote