Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

high pitched squeal near ceiling fan

anyone have any thoughts on a new issue I am having.

a high pitched squeal is coming from the ceiling area near the fan. hard to tell if it's the fan or not but if you stand under it that's where the sound seems to be loudest.

currently we are not plugged in to electric due to the RV being stored and ready to sell. if we look up the battery then about 30 minutes later the squeal starts.

it is a 2003 Forest River Cardinal 29 LE

thanks for any input. we are trying to sell it and worry about this new noise.

Nancy
divernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

does it only squeal when the fan is on ? assuming we are talking about a ceiling fan and since we know the cheapest fans that can be had are being used it most likely has plastic bearings in there and they are causing your squeal .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

I know that earlier the fan was not on and there was squealing. It seemed loudest right under the fan. We have had the fuses all off. But now the battery is dead. Either the squealing drained it or we have a bad battery which is less than a year old.
Charging it now so we may know more in the morning when we hook up the fully charged battery and turn on the fuses.
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by divernan View Post
I know that earlier the fan was not on and there was squealing. It seemed loudest right under the fan. We have had the fuses all off. But now the battery is dead. Either the squealing drained it or we have a bad battery which is less than a year old.
Charging it now so we may know more in the morning when we hook up the fully charged battery and turn on the fuses.
Thanks!
if you hear the squeal when the fan is not on . guess it's not the fan . what else is running up there . ac on ? etc . since i can't hear it there is no way for anybody to figure out where it may be coming from but you
Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Yes still trying to figure it out. Don't think it is the fan though as it was not on. Nothing was on that I can tell.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by divernan View Post
Yes still trying to figure it out. Don't think it is the fan though as it was not on. Nothing was on that I can tell.
Maybe the batteries in your hearing aid . sorry couldn't help it just joking
Old 09-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

Haha! If only were true. in fact it sounds like my insulin pump sounds when it's time to change it. Very high pitched, very annoying. But it wasn't my pump and it's not the fan. Soooooo? I'll have to keep on experimenting until I figure it out.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

My fan squeal was likely a bearing that needed lub. It always squealed when on, but would occasionally squeal even when off if the wind turned the fan blades. Some silicone spray solved the issue temporarily.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

Look for Twigs or leaves around the edge of the fan
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
SMOKE detector

Where is your smoke detector located? Remove the battery, see if noise stops.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

When you hear it and the fan is off, is it really off? Is this an electronic fan with variable speed? The electronics in the fan can be bad and provide a trickle of power even though you turnned it off. That would account for the noise and battery drain. Pull it's fuse and then listen.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

I just got home from camping and when packing up today I walked in our camper I heard a high pitched sound. I checked the CO detector and the smoke detector and` that wasn't it but noticed that my fridge had not switched over to propane. I went to check battery knowing the battery had to be charged for the fridge to work on propane. Come to find out I had a loose battery wire. I tightened it went back inside and the fridge was working and the high pitched sound was gone.
Just a thought .
cwalters2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan