Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater by pass valve

Without tearing apart trailer, can someone tell be where the Hot Water by-pass valve is on a 2016 Cardinal? Thanks
#1BAMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

They are located on the backside of the WH.

You know where it is outside so just place it's location inside.

You may need to remove a false panel to get to them, #2 square drive bit will be a handy thing to have.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Tip: after you drain the water heater tank, lv the rod plug out until you are sure no anti freeze is going into the tank. If you happen not to close the bypass properly you will see pink antifreeze very quickly coming out of the drain plug hole. You can quickly shut down your siphon pump and turn another valve ( assuming you turned the incorrect one the first attempt).
That little bit of anti freeze can be flushed out easily next use. Just hook up the water, reverse the flow valve and let some water flush thru the water heater until clear. Takes 2 minutes tops....just say'n....
I have an inexpensive handy dandy flushing tool to rinse any built up deposits from the hot water tank via the drain plug hole. Cost $4 at CW.
We winterized 2 or 3 times during the season as we take trips south of Atlanta to Florida and re winterize prior to return trip. 😳
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Thanks much; one other question if u know; if using compressed air to winterize, I can't find any instructions regarding water line to ice maker
#1BAMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

No ice maker; but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancilhicks View Post
Thanks much; one other question if u know; if using compressed air to winterize, I can't find any instructions regarding water line to ice maker
Go under each area: Cardinal: Cedar Creek or tech specs header and do a "search". This info has been all over the boards in the past month. You will find what you need.

And by the way; compressed air may not save your plastic fittings in bath and other areas in a HARD FREEZE that sustains. Experience is knowledge ! 😩
I do BOTH. And I set mine up for use a few times in winter and re winterize. Spewing water and screaming spouse, bad, not good!! 👀😖
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

And by the way; compressed air may not save your plastic fittings in bath and other areas in a HARD FREEZE that sustains. Experience is knowledge ! 😩
I do BOTH. And I set mine up for use a few times in winter and re winterize. Spewing water and screaming spouse, bad, not good!! 👀😖[/QUOTE]

We have had a Kit Sportscaster Patio Hauler for 21 years and compressed air is the only way we have winterized. Have had temps below freezing with a low of -6 for extended time without any trouble. You just have to let that compressed air flow till you have the lines virtually "dry". I repeat several times before I quit. YMMV.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Without tearing apart trailer, can someone tell be where the Hot Water by-pass valve is on a 2016 Cardinal? Thanks
You have gotten many answers, not all may be correct. The answer is, it depends.

If your water docking station looks like the one here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...em-119957.html

Then the bypass is part of the docking station. There are detailed winterization instructions that you should be following for this type of docking station, as there are a myriad of water passages behind the control panel.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Regarding waterline to the icemaker. In my opinion, the ONLY way I would winterize this is to use RV antifreeze to both the water dispenser, and the ice maker. The valve in the back of the refer is impossible to get at, and the chances of residual water freezing in there is pretty high. Also, don't forget to remove the water filter inside your fridge, if it has one. I let the ice maker run through a few cycles with the antifreeze bottle hooked up so make sure the lines to it were fully purged.

You might call me paranoid, but the cost to repair these items is pretty high compared to the cost of a little bit of RV antifreeze, or the inconvenience of having to flush them out in the spring.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
bigdaddy1

I agree with you on your method djousma!

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, valve, water, water heater