Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

i love my cardinal but..

it's the little things that make me wonder.

let me set the stage. i am 6'7" tall and one of the reasons we bought our 2015 cardinal model 3825 is because it has high ceilings. we're getting ready for a trip so i was over at the trailer doing some cleaning. one thing i noticed was the vent fans were pretty dirty with dust and stuff in the screens and the fan blades. i had to get a ladder to climb on in order to reach the fans up in the ceiling. i cleaned the one in the kitchen and went to test it. it has its controls on the wall and i opened / closed the lid, turned the fan on / off, and varied the fax speed by manipulating the wall button. so then i moved to the bathroom fan that is right over the toilet. i went up the ladder to reach it and while i was cleaning it i noticed that it was different from the kitchen fan. there was a knob on the bottom of the bathroom fan that was not on the kitchen fan. i then discovered that this knob is the fan speed control. i can open / close the lid and turn the fan on /off from the wall controls. but if i want to vary the fan speed i have to get a ladder to reach up over the toilet and adjust that speed knob. also, the kitchen fan has the rain sensor that will automatically close the lid if it senses water. the bathroom one does not have this feature.

really?

how much more would it have cost to put the same model fan in both locations? how many people are going to set up a ladder to change the bathroom fan speed? why is it important to automatically close one lid when it rains while leaving the other open?

just one of those imponderables in life!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Ours is like that too. Weird.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Usually... and I say usually... the bath fan is standard (cheap) and the kitchen/bedroom fans are part of an upgrade package or a line item option as many of those come standard with just a crank open vent.

Many of the R/Vs I've had, the fans were different. It's not just CC.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

I replaced our bath fan to exactly match the kitchen one. Kind of stupid on FR's part but it is what it is.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

My 2017 has matching maxxair auto close vents in both locations.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #6

Our Cedar Creek has a fan in the bathroom that has a switch on the wall to turn on and off but only works if you reach above your head and manually open the vent lid first. It is out of my wife's reach so whenever she needs to use the vent fan I get to turn it on and off for her. A bit odd. Why even put the switch in there if it's all controlled from the ceiling?!!
I'm replacing it as soon as possible.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #7

Our 2005 Cardinal has the fully automatic fantastic fan like yours in the kitchen. The bathroom fan controls are on the fan. No problem since our ceiling in the bathroom is much lower than yours. Fantastic fan company has great customer service. They sent a new motor/fan unit at no charge because after ten years the fan quit working. I suggest calling them and see what it would cost to upgrade your bathroom fan.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

The Arctic Fox I traded my Cardinal for has the same setup. But, no disrespect meant, but if you're 6'7", how can you not reach the bathroom fan when most bathrooms I've seen have a relatively low ceiling?
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #9

The ceiling on these things is high! It is 81” in the front living room. In the kitchen and bathroom the ceiling may be at the same level but the floor is much lower. I need a ladder to reach the ceiling in those areas. Hard to believe but true.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

Hmmm surprised at that on a Cardinal . My sob came with a max fan in the bath, kitchen, and 1/2 bath. The kitchen is wired for a 3rd AC.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #11

Our Cardinal 3250 fifth wheel has an automatic fan in the living/dining area, and a manual fan in the bathroom. I'm not 6' 7" tall, I'm only 6' 1" tall, but I can reach the controls for the bathroom fan while standing flat-footed on the floor. I have long arms!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
Our Cedar Creek has a fan in the bathroom that has a switch on the wall to turn on and off but only works if you reach above your head and manually open the vent lid first. It is out of my wife's reach so whenever she needs to use the vent fan I get to turn it on and off for her. A bit odd. Why even put the switch in there if it's all controlled from the ceiling?!!
I'm replacing it as soon as possible.

Tell me how you do it. I've heard (??) that there is some kind of kit that opens it automatically like the one in kitchen, but don't know about it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #13

a couple of things:

we have a front living room which means the bathroom is at the rear with the bedroom. many models have the bathroom up the steps near the front living room. i would be able to reach it there if that is what we had.

our bathroom fan has a control panel on the wall that allows you to open and close the vent and turn the fan on and off. the fan speed control is up on the fan and this is what cannot be reached. why put one on the fan if it is not usable?

the other disconnect is that the kitchen fan has the automatic rain closure feature and the bathroom one does not. why one and not the other?doe it only rain over the kitchen?

this is not a show stopper. i just find it a bit odd. somebody just said this is what we use on cardinals without realizing the implications.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

The 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL has the good fans in both kitchen and bathroom with remotes. I am 6' and I couldn't reach them.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
My 2017 has matching maxxair auto close vents in both locations.

Ours too. Remotes work both fans and hang in a “holster” on the kitchen and bathroom walls.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal