Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #41

Good question Bill, for which you will probably get several different answers. I tow my 3850RL with my 2016 Ford F350 SRW, and it does just fine. I did add Timbrens because the truck had an inch or two of sag, and was mostly concerned with headlights too high towing at night. I know I am right at max capacity, but she handles fine and does not feel squirrelly on the road at all.

It might help for you to describe in what ways it feels like it is too much. I ask because with these newer trucks there isn't a lot of difference in 250/2500 350/3500 trucks other than the suspension, which you have already addressed. I don't know much about GM products, but in the Fords, the 250/350 share the same axles, brakes, etc. The 350 has the overload spring, and 4" rear blocks instead of the 2" rear blocks on the 250.

I also drive my truck as a daily driver, and live in urban area, so driving a DRW really isn't on my plate right now. Maybe after I retire, and if we were to move into a full-timer type unit which typically have a GVWR in that 24K range, I would move up to a DRW.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #42

Wow Dave , thats one hell of a rig there, full paint looks bad###. the pin weight on this 3350 is 2250lbs dry, i done leave much home either LOL, in regards to towing, it just leveled my truck, it just felt like it is over loaded, the pin weight dry is 2250lbs and I do not leave much at home when we pack up.but I would be surprised if we loaded 1000lbs in it when we do load up. so the srw gmc has a pay load of 4,963 lbs and a max towing of 1300 lbs and this trailer dry weight of 12556 lbs , So yea I am concerned, I would appreciate input and Dave again, that is a very cool trailer !
Bill
RVBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #43
Multi-Slacker

I believe in safety, wear, and handling margins. The closer you get to maximums the more likely something will break at the worst possible time in the worst possible way.
-Murphy
Old 12-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #44

RVBill, how did you get the 2250 lb pin weight. I weighed our 3350rlx fully loaded and 2015 Chevy 3500 SRW at a truck scale, and requested axle weights. I then weighed just the truck with just me in it. Both weights had full tank of fuel. From this, I learned my pin weight is 3020 pounds; with entire trailer crossing the scale at 14990. We are heavily optioned except for laundry and full paint. This would be too much for your 2500. Besides springs, the frame is heavier and bushings are different on the 3500. Tows great.

I also added timbrens, and bilstein 5100 shocks to control freeway joint bounce, not for a squat issue. Am now looking at a trailair air bag pin box.
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by darndave View Post
RVBill, how did you get the 2250 lb pin weight. I weighed our 3350rlx fully loaded and 2015 Chevy 3500 SRW at a truck scale, and requested axle weights. I then weighed just the truck with just me in it. Both weights had full tank of fuel. From this, I learned my pin weight is 3020 pounds; with entire trailer crossing the scale at 14990. We are heavily optioned except for laundry and full paint. This would be too much for your 2500. Besides springs, the frame is heavier and bushings are different on the 3500. Tows great.

I also added timbrens, and bilstein 5100 shocks to control freeway joint bounce, not for a squat issue. Am now looking at a trailair air bag pin box.
He said that was the dry pin weight. he also posted the dry weight of the trailer, and that pin weight was pretty close to 20% of it. We all know that "dry" weights are really a fictitious number, and should never be used for anything constructive. when shopping i always use the trailer GVWR and 20% of that as the "planning" numbers.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #46

That pin weight dry was off the Forest River web site, it is what I call a rough estimate,
I am sure I am in the ball park, if not then I will make some adjustments, but yes with a new 3500 we should be A okay! If not for the Bowl games tomorrow I would go down and screw around with this new trailer, the forward awning does not close right because its out of alignment and one of the blinds handles is coming loose and just alot to familiarize myself on it
Thanks RV BIll
RVBill is offline   Reply With Quote