Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

Leaf spring hangers

Anyone know if there is a fix as to why all my spring hangers broke? The welds have all cracked. I have pictures of a fix I did, but is there an official one?
Thx

2004 lx33ts

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

We have a 2004 33TS and have broken springs twice! The last time broke both sides on front axel. Repair was done in El Centro, CA at an excellent repair shop. The spring repair person told me that the spring hangers were welded on too close together and needed to be stretched out because when the load on the springs came done evenly they could not expand. The stress caused by this is probabley the reason my springs snaped. I would think maybe it would also stress the hangers.
I have weighed the unit and must admit I am about 1500 over for the whole unit but don't think that should cause the problems I had as I was driving on a paved hyway!! The 5th wheel tows better then it ever did, much smoother with less bounce, after this repair.
Hope this helps you,
Ron

Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1500 over for the whole unit...... What did you have weighed and how. Truck and trailer, and over for trailer gvwr, truck gvwr? Was the trailer filly loaded with water and gear? Was the truck?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #4

Weighed the front axel, whole pickup, back axel with 5th wheel, back axel minus 5th wheel then the 5th wheel both axels. The unit was fully loaded at that time, a little more then we normaly travle with!
Ron
Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

Since I'm not familiar with your model, does it have an aluminum frame?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #6

The frame is steel, the the frameing for the RV itself is alum. It is a 2004 Cardinal 33TS.
As to my first post, I should have said I was 1500 lbs over for the liscense on my truck which is 20,000 lbs. I will look up the weight slip and post the numbers. As I remember the weight was less then the rated wieght for the axels.
Ron
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #7

Mine broke yesterday. This should not be happening. My frame has stress cracks and the swaying of the frame weakened the leaf spring brackets causing them to fail, ruin a tire and cancel our weekend plans plus cost well over $2000 to repair. Just luck someone was not hurt or killed sitting on the side of the interstate for 7 hours...

Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyC View Post
Mine broke yesterday. This should not be happening. My frame has stress cracks and the swaying of the frame weakened the leaf spring brackets causing them to fail, ruin a tire and cancel our weekend plans plus cost well over $2000 to repair. Just luck someone was not hurt or killed sitting on the side of the interstate for 7 hours...
out of curiosity, how did u find it? was there a change in the feel while towing? i've been making visual inspections several times/yr but haven't seen anything yet. would like to know what u saw or felt that made u pull over.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

It was easy,i just followed the smoke. I was traveling on the interstate when it broke.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #10

wow. i didn't know it would be that obvious...ur lucky.