Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Leave Batteries in or take them out

Getting ready to winterize the 3250. In years past I have always left the batteries in and left the camper plugged in all winter long. Is it better to pull the batteries and leave the camper unplugged for the winter. My concern is over charging the batteries over the winter months which did happen on our last camper. If I don't leave it plugged in the batteries will be dead come spring time.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #2

I leave mine plugged in 24X7X365 but I also changed my converter to a Boondocker 4-stage smart converter. I also added a single point battery fill and check the water in them.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

I leave my batteries in the motorhome on Battery Tender.....but everyone does things differently.

BTW......How can someone who is winterizing their RV in Upper State New York pick the name “No more shoveling”?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

If the converter is not smart like BandJCarm's, I would invest in a smart charger like a CTEK (google it), or remove and bring them in and throw a trickle charger on once a month if you don't have a smart charger.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #5

Late generation battery maintainers (trickle chargers) and the converter in campers rarely overcharge the battery and can be left connected to shorepower -- if you have it. Checking periodically is prudent.

With no shorepower and having spilled too much battery acid over the years I leave my batteries in place on my campers and boats. They get fully charged and electrolyte topped off before their Thanksgiving to Easter hibernation and the negative cables removed to eliminate any hint of parasitic discharge. They will, of course, self-discharge but that process is slower in cold temperatures. 5+ months of storage and they come out every April at 12.3 to 12.4 volts or 75% charged.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

Doing what you've been doing works very well. It sounds like your system charger does very well at maintaining your battery health. Unless you live where it's extremely cold, a fully charged flooded battery will not freeze. One of the most important factors for maintaining the health of flooded batteries depends on maintaining proper charge. A fully charged flooded battery will not freeze until temperatures fall to about -70° C (-94° F).

A good reference for this topic is:
"Automotive Batteries at Low Temperatures"
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a239115.pdf
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Leave it in...
check the water level in the battery about 1X per month
fill to the bottom of the split ring in the battery with distilled water only
you will be good...

I leave my 2104 Shamrock plugged in at home 365 days a year when not camping

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

Just don't stop camping then you don't gotta worry about it.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I leave my batteries in the motorhome on Battery Tender.....but everyone does things differently.

BTW......How can someone who is winterizing their RV in Upper State New York pick the name “No more shoveling”?
We don't take off for the south till after the Holidays sometime around mid January. We have had Januaries when the whole month has been below zero. Don't need any issues with freeze ups and for the 20 minutes it takes to winterize it's worth it.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Team

I've never taken mine out. Since I have a disconnect switch, they are nearly still fully charged 4 months later.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

I have a sunseeker 3100 . I remove the coach batteries and store them in the basement. Once a month I give them a tickle charge for 24 hours. As for the chassis battery I leave it in all winter and attach a small solar panel to it so it receive a charge all winter. Once a month I start the engine and run it for 3-4 minutes . Always starts on first turn of the key even at minus 30 C.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

1 Fully charge battery and remove neg wire from post to prevent parasitic loads.
2 Check back in 60-90 days and insure battery voltage is 12.4 or higher to prevent freeze of electrolyte....recharge if needed.
3. You should be good all winter since self discharge is SLOWin the cold.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

derek, as someone who parks their Corvette all winter, you may be doing more harm than good running your vehicle for short periods during that time. As long as the battery is kept topped off, and your fuel is stabilized (MUST be stabilized with today's fuels), running the engine for short periods introduces/produces moisture in engine and exhaust system and oil. As systems do not have enough time to reach normal operating temperature, the moisture will cause rust in your exhaust system and not be good for your oil.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #14

Honda wants my winter stored S2000 run monthly until it reaches operating temperature defined as the radiator fans cycling twice. Takes about 15 minutes. I do it in my garage on my EZcarlift and when she idling run her thru all the gears a couple of times to lubricate the gearbox and differential. Can't fit a motorhome on my lift but the engine can be run until operating temps are reached.

Plus-1 on the fuel stabilizer. Even my lawn mowers want fuel no older than 30 days unless stabilized. I add it to my gas cans when I fill them at the pump. I've given up mixing 2-cycle gas and just buy it in cans at Lowes. Cars get it before storage or extended non-use.

-- Chuck
Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Surprised Honda says that. In cold weather, idling creates condensation in the exhaust. Normally, you would drive, and it would be blown out. But if it sits parked without moving, it collects. My patrol cars used to actually start gurgling from the amount of water collecting as they idled for an extended period (even 15 minutes). When you pulled away, easily a quart or so of water would come shooting out of exhaust pipes like a hose.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #16

Just quoting from the manual. The exhaust tips are too hot to touch after 15 minutes so I expect any moisture is gone. It's all stainless steel.

-- Chuck
Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've never taken mine out. Since I have a disconnect switch, they are nearly still fully charged 4 months later.
X2.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
X2

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

When I stored my RV's next to my house I left them plugged in 24/7/365 and always had charged batteries.

Now that I live in the Arizona desert and have to park it in storage, in the winter (our camping season down here) I'll leave the battery in, but with unhooked neg (black) wire.

In the summer when it reaches close to 120 degrees daily for 3 months straight, I remove the battery and keep in at the house as I've found the battery boiling while just sitting there unhooked in the RV.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #20

I live in So Cal so no winterizing for me.

I store my TT and boat at a storage yard so I do remove the batteries after each trip. I use an "on board" type boat battery charger for my travel trailer and boat batteries in my garage. They'll charge then switch to maintain mode.

In total, I have four batteries charging on the work bench at all times. This works for me.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries