Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #1

Lemon Cardinal

This likely wont be posted but I will try. I was just wondering how many people out there have had noting but problems with their unit?
We bought our 2015 Cardinal a few months ago and have have nothing but issue after issue. So far the stove is being replaced, the convection oven is being replaced, the refrigerator doors have been replaced. When we got the unit they had actually duct taped the ceiling above the washer and dryer in place not nailed or screwed. When they installed the washer they dented the front. The water filter keeps blowing the housing off (there is a pressure regulator on the hose). The dining room table has been replaced. The fold up dining room chairs when set on fell completely apart. The oven vents into the living area so you can't breath if something gets spilled when cooking. One wall light has gone out and had to have the switch replaced. I guess I'm just not understanding how you can spend so much money on something like this and get such junk.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Stewart View Post
This likely wont be posted but I will try. I was just wondering how many people out there have had noting but problems with their unit?
I can't help with any of your issues but I did want to clarify that this forum isn't affiliated with Forest River. It's wholly owned and operated by an unrelated company. Calling it a "fan forum" is the best description (though, we do have our share of non-fans who have had problems).

Good luck with the rest. You may be able to contact the warranty manager for Cardinal directly:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf
Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #3

Welcome to the FR forum. It's always sad when a negative experience makes people find this site.

Good luck with resolving your issues.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Team

As with any product or company you are bound to be some members but many of us are happy campers. While I'm surprised a TT left FR with those issues I'm even more surprised your dealership let you take delivery of it. Did they do a PDI and if so, how did your walk-through go?

Hopefully the issues will be fixed soon so you can enjoy your camper.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Team

confused as to why you think this wouldn't be posted?
do you think that someone has censorship powers here?

as was said, this site is not affliated with FR Inc., just a site run by FR product owners.

and three of your issues are with the appliance manufacturers, not FR.

you might want to check out the Cardinal Owners Club website to seek some input from long time Cardinal owners.
Cardinal RV Club • Index page
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

After buying a new 2012 Dutchman travel trailer and all the issues we had it was time to say goodbye to new and get a used Cardinal (2009) that has all those pesky items fixed, After 6 months it's working great. Our friend have a Cedar Creek 2013 and have gone through the same as you, problem after problem. It would appear the final product checks are now done by the owner, Pity!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #7

We have the same problems with our 2014 sandpiper. We purchased our unit 3/25/14 and have only had possession of unit for a total of 19 days the rest of the time it has been sitting at our dealer trying to get approval for warranty work....also our dealer has stated that this unit should have never left the factory....two weeks ago we met with two forest river reps at our dealer and was told that everything has been approved to be fixed by our dealer but to no prevail has any parts or work been done on our $70,000 trailer...what a joke...we told them if the trailer isn't complete by 7/3/14 they will be hearing from our lawyer and we will be filing for the lemon law.....i am totally appalled by forest river products...I have owned four other trailers from forest river and nothing compared to the crap that's being produced today....lesson learned for sure...we're done....
Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tm_rich View Post
We have the same problems with our 2014 sandpiper. We purchased our unit 3/25/14 and have only had possession of unit for a total of 19 days the rest of the time it has been sitting at our dealer trying to get approval for warranty work....also our dealer has stated that this unit should have never left the factory....two weeks ago we met with two forest river reps at our dealer and was told that everything has been approved to be fixed by our dealer but to no prevail has any parts or work been done on our $70,000 trailer...what a joke...we told them if the trailer isn't complete by 7/3/14 they will be hearing from our lawyer and we will be filing for the lemon law.....i am totally appalled by forest river products...I have owned four other trailers from forest river and nothing compared to the crap that's being produced today....lesson learned for sure...we're done....
I went with heartland landmark this time and after 5 forest river products the quality is much better on a heartland. I have had minor issues, mostly caused by the dealer robbing parts for other Rv's rather than wait for a warranty part to be sent, but overall a refreshing experience from FR. As far a a lemon Rv, think it has to be motorized and would have had to be repaired 3 times for the same defect, none of this would apply to you, also most of the things you are having problems with have nothing to do with FR, they are outside vendors.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

My 2005 Cardinal spent much of its first year parked at the dealer. What a joke. I think the problem was mostly with the dealer, who is now out of business.

I think the factory should also do a pre-delivery inspection and not rely on their dealers to find and fix their mistakes. Assuming the factory cares about their reputation.

I was glad when the warranty was up so I would not feel guilty repairing the trailer myself. Fast forward 9 years and I have been happy with my re-worked Cardinal. My rv friends have not had trouble free rv's. I guess it is common in the industry.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

Sorry for all your troubles. We're working through ours, as trading off can just bring more troubles with another brand. Fix 1 thing, 2 more pop up. I could write a book on this from the smallest trailer to our class A. In all honesty, if you don't have any structural issues or leaks, you're doing good. All the stuff you mentioned sounds like easy fixes, at least in my experience of troubles and fixes.

bob34787, not knocking Heartland, but I left one on the lot with cash in hand. 15 issues in 30 minutes, some major. Quality wasn't there, at least on every one I saw on the lot from the Gateway to the Landmark. I follow their forum also. They aren't really any better in my opinion. They definitely need some work in some areas. Sounds like you came out to the good this time.

This is the norm today. You either buy one expecting the issues, and expecting to work through them, or you just hang up the hobby or lifestyle.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

I agree, I also think you just have to work through the problems. I have a friend with a new Cedar Creek and he has only had one minor issue. He asked me if I was thinking about getting a new one. I just laughed and said no, mine doesn't need any work. lol
Old 06-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Sorry for all your troubles. We're working through ours, as trading off can just bring more troubles with another brand. Fix 1 thing, 2 more pop up. I could write a book on this from the smallest trailer to our class A. In all honesty, if you don't have any structural issues or leaks, you're doing good. All the stuff you mentioned sounds like easy fixes, at least in my experience of troubles and fixes.

bob34787, not knocking Heartland, but I left one on the lot with cash in hand. 15 issues in 30 minutes, some major. Quality wasn't there, at least on every one I saw on the lot from the Gateway to the Landmark. I follow their forum also. They aren't really any better in my opinion. They definitely need some work in some areas. Sounds like you came out to the good this time.

This is the norm today. You either buy one expecting the issues, and expecting to work through them, or you just hang up the hobby or lifestyle.
my experience with FR, 2010 cedar creek 36RE , many problems, 2011 Fr ridgeveiw real junk, 2013 Cedar Creek 36 ckts, many problems, 2103 Aviator, cheap and problems, now 2013 Landmark minor issues. I will keep the Heartland 2 year warranty bumper to cap and 5 year structure, also warrantied for full time use.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #13

We have a 2011 Cardinal, and it's been the best fifth wheel I have ever owned. Excellent fit and finish and excellent build quality. Sorry your first post to this forum is a negative one. I think your best bet is to work thru the issues with your dealer and Forest River. There is an owners club for your new fifth wheel with lots of caring folks that could make constructive suggestions to help you with your new fifth wheel.

Forest River makes a good fifth wheel, and the stand behind their products if you are honest, polite, and give them a chance. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
my experience with FR, 2010 cedar creek 36RE , many problems, 2011 Fr ridgeveiw real junk, 2013 Cedar Creek 36 ckts, many problems, 2103 Aviator, cheap and problems, now 2013 Landmark minor issues. I will keep the Heartland 2 year warranty bumper to cap and 5 year structure, also warrantied for full time use.
So since you are so anti Forest River why don't you just go find a different forum like maybe Landmark or something.
Emmy, Madison and flower our 4 legged kids
Old 06-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post

Sad, but so true: As long as we keep buying them ...they will keep making them.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogz View Post
So since you are so anti Forest River why don't you just go find a different forum like maybe Landmark or something.
You dont have to own a fr product to be a member here.
I think Bob was just stating his own experience and opinion with fr products.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
bpe

Forest River, as most are, are mass produced. As with anything mass produced problems can happen. Depending on how badly people are "pushed" many problems could be result. Your dealer is probably your best source for help. If not, contact factory. If they won't correct problems call lawyer. As has already been said, as long as we buy units and accept this as norm problem will not go away. If we as customers would demand higher quality units we would get them.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Site Team

has anyone noticed that the OP hasn't posted again and it's been nearly 2 weeks.
it's hard to take someone's rant seriously, if they post one time and then never show back up to answer the other members or add more background.

i'm always leary of one-time ranters, no matter what RV forum it is.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 06-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
I went with heartland landmark this time and after 5 forest river products the quality is much better on a heartland. I have had minor issues, mostly caused by the dealer robbing parts for other Rv's rather than wait for a warranty part to be sent, but overall a refreshing experience from FR. As far a a lemon Rv, think it has to be motorized and would have had to be repaired 3 times for the same defect, none of this would apply to you, also most of the things you are having problems with have nothing to do with FR, they are outside vendors.
FR is responsible for what products are installed in their trailers
Old 07-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogz View Post
fun to read all the complaints, heartland forums are not much fun as there just does not appear to be as much to complain about
Closed Thread

Tags
cardinal