Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Lippert Hydraulic auto level system for Cardinal 5th wheels?

Hello everyone I am a new owner to a used 2003 33 LX Forest River Cardinal. I have had nothing but problems with the Landing gear and electric motor for it. I have replaced the motor and gear box the first time it would not extend (Just ratchet either direction). After replacing those, it worked fine for maybe a month. Then I was taking it off the truck and it would not raise high enough to unhitch so I manually used the Jack rod to extend it and it snapped the long tube after only 3-4 turns that connects the left to right side via the gearbox and electric motor. So I was wondering if the new hydraulic Lippert auto level system can be installed on this 5th wheel? The wife and I want to retire and go full timing but we need to know this will be reliable for us. Any information would be great? Thanks for your help!

o2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The auto level on the new Cardinals is 6 hydraulic jacks, plus plumbing for the hydraulics. I would think it would be a nightmare to retrofit. Especially on a 9 year old model.

And by the way.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

Lippert Hydraulic auto level system for Cardinal 5th wheels?

Thanks windrider for the reply and welcome! I know what the system consist of. Nightmare? Nothing a good installer couldn't handle I would think. Is this the right forum to ask these questions?
o2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You are in the right place, maybe. You have a Cardinal, and the Cardinal owners will look here. I think also, on the internet is a whole Cardinal site, might want to search the internet and find it. Cardinal owners are like Air Stream owners, seem to do their own thing.

As for the install, anything can be done with time and money. Adding the pump, hydraulic tank, hoses, and then the wiring, and since the frames may have changed from current, most everything may have to be custom, hose length, etc. Also will the frame need extra support or brackets to hold the jacks? I don't know the answer, have a changed a couple of jacks under warranty due to leaks. Sorry, didn't pay attention to the mounting points. Good luck with your decision, and maybe try to contact Lippert and pose the question to them?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #5

Lippert Reps told me they can put the Level Up System on any Rv. At the time a full install was about $5K and needed to be done at the factory or authorized installer. But this does not include most RV dealers. Call the service department and they can answer all your questions.
stevem4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

I have had problems with anything and everything that has had the name Lippert on it.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #7

I had the level system put on my Cardinal 38BHQs LE and it works great. I did bring it to Indiana to have it installed. I had a problem with the pump as soon as I got back. I called and they sent me a replacement pump and so far it's been great.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #8

It sounds like your landing legs are binding up and burning out the motors and even more so when you snapped the interconnect shaft. I'd look at the landing leg opposite the crank handle to be bent, easy enough to do if not hooking/unhooking properly and put too much pressure on the legs, the metal tubes for the legs are not that thick.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

On a 2003 I suspect the landing gear is made by Venture mfg. Great people to work with and parts are reasonable. Rebuilding the landing gear us easy work. Look under one of the caps for a part number. Pm me if you need more info.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
I have the Level-Up system on our new Cedar Creek. Works great!

I do understand the comments about Lippert and their rotten (well deserved I guess) reputation concerning their products. If I had a choice between Lippert and anyone else I'd probably choose the other guy.

There are a lot of Hydraulic Leveling systems out there, I would look to the internet to gain more info on them before I made a decision. Given the age on your current trailer, I would have to be convinced that trailer did not have other issues before I'd pull the wallet out for a Lippert product on this trailer.

Tags
5th wheel