Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Canadian Contingent

Need Skid Wheels?

I have a 3450RL.

It's 40'9" long with a fair overhang after the rear axle.
Recently, I got on a ferry and scraped my hitch and lost the lower section of my ladder.

I'm thinking of putting a skid wheel on the hitch or swivel skid wheels on the tubular cross bar further back.
I could weld a skid bar onto the hitch but would prefer something that rolls rather than scrapes.

Anyone else done this? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	93525  

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Lots of people have added Wheels,just remember what you Add will Drag/Roll Quicker! So keep the Diameter Small! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Canadian Contingent

My thoughts would be just the singular wheel under the hitch. It's a stubby wheel about 2.5" wide that attaches via a hitch pin. It's the only point that touches now that the lower section of ladder somehow miraculously disappeared.

I would think if I put the two rollers on the tubular cross member, that coming out of a driveway at an angle, that only one wheel would touch and rack(twist) the frame.

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Wow that is long! We had a similar issue dragging the back bumper but it was due to our truck bed sitting so high and tipping the trailer aft. Our partial solution was to lower the vertical adjustment of our hitch and raise the king pin assy up a couple of inches. We gained about three inches on the bumper clearance. Looking into that lippert correct track alignment kit. Our axle alignment is good, but from what I have read it lifts the trailer by two inches.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #5

That was my first mod I welded a pair of two inch rollers on the cross bar, no more hitch drag.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Wow that is long! We had a similar issue dragging the back bumper but it was due to our truck bed sitting so high and tipping the trailer aft. Our partial solution was to lower the vertical adjustment of our hitch and raise the king pin assy up a couple of inches. We gained about three inches on the bumper clearance. Looking into that lippert correct track alignment kit. Our axle alignment is good, but from what I have read it lifts the trailer by two inches.
Not necessarily a good idea. While it lifts the trailer it puts way more stress on the spring hangers as they are now longer and will have more leverage which could result in twisting the frame or shearing off the hanger. There have been a couple examples showing this on the internet recently. Not so much a problem with the factory installed kit as they don't extend the hangers. In my opinion Correct Track is pretty worthless for alignment as it only addresses tracking but does nothing for toe or camber adjustments, but that's another topic.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Not necessarily a good idea. While it lifts the trailer it puts way more stress on the spring hangers as they are now longer and will have more leverage which could result in twisting the frame or shearing off the hanger. There have been a couple examples showing this on the internet recently. Not so much a problem with the factory installed kit as they don't extend the hangers. In my opinion Correct Track is pretty worthless for alignment as it only addresses tracking but does nothing for toe or camber adjustments, but that's another topic.
I agree that it will increase some leverage on the spring hangers (basic physics) and that it won't solve toe or camber (that is dependent on the shape and bend of the axle). I do think it would work well in situations where the axles aren't square towards the frame and the tires don't track parallel. The irony is that it is a product marketed to fix out of square situations by the same company who built the trailers and potentially created the issue.
I am not being sarcastic (just researching- bought the kit and am planning on install this spring)... Do you have links specifically to correct track failures? I have searched and cannot find any. I know there are failures from shade tree engineering lift kits where excessive blocks are used, but only two inches IMHO shouldn't create enough force to make a difference. I worry more about the tires that came with the trailer.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
I agree that it will increase some leverage on the spring hangers (basic physics) and that it won't solve toe or camber (that is dependent on the shape and bend of the axle). I do think it would work well in situations where the axles aren't square towards the frame and the tires don't track parallel. The irony is that it is a product marketed to fix out of square situations by the same company who built the trailers and potentially created the issue.
I am not being sarcastic (just researching- bought the kit and am planning on install this spring)... Do you have links specifically to correct track failures? I have searched and cannot find any. I know there are failures from shade tree engineering lift kits where excessive blocks are used, but only two inches IMHO shouldn't create enough force to make a difference. I worry more about the tires that came with the trailer.
There was an extensive thread on the Heartland Owners Forum a few months back showing how the frame rails twisted after installing a Correct Track. They suggested using the Mor-Ryde cross braces between the spring hangers or making your own out of some 2" square tubing to help stiffen the spring hangers. Made sense to me. Completely agree with your post regarding tires and how Lippert sells the kit to straighten THEIR frame. My axles were both swayed to the left 3/4" when I brought it to an alignment shop just after I bought it. I don't have a Correct Track. My alignment guy doesn't use them when they come in with one installed anyway. he just aligns it the old fashioned way, like he always did.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I have a 3450RL.

It's 40'9" long with a fair overhang after the rear axle.
Recently, I got on a ferry and scraped my hitch and lost the lower section of my ladder.

I'm thinking of putting a skid wheel on the hitch or swivel skid wheels on the tubular cross bar further back.
I could weld a skid bar onto the hitch but would prefer something that rolls rather than scrapes.

Anyone else done this? Thoughts?
My first thought, why didn't they put a third axle on one this long?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #10

Skid wheel available at Etrailer.com

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

When I know I am going to drag I make sure I am square and if I am not perfect the one skid only touches for two or three feet. I will avoid anything that could do damage to my frame. You draw a lot less attention to yourself when you have skid wheels....much quieter! Get some😀😀

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #12

A moryde 4000 will give you a inch and 4 inch of travel.They also sell bolt on cross bars to an reduce the trl flex. An Mich rib lt 235-85r 16 will give you another inch and are great tires to boot. Also you can run some bracing across the rear and bolt them to the l beam flange. Which will really help prevent frame twist. An x pattern would be the best . Also a great way to min frame cracks. IMHO
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel