Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #1
Dave, U.S.A.F. (Ret)

New Cardinal Luxury?

We have been Looking to buy a 5er to Full Time and as of now the Cardinal Luxury 3930FBX is at the top of the list. We love the floor plan (no carpet anywhere is a pulse). Unfortunately there are no models that are close to us to look at. For you Cardinal Luxury owners, how well are they made? Have the held up over time? How is the customer support? How is the outside storage? I know some 5ers have decent outside storage and some are very tiny. Are you happy with your Cardinals?
I would like to hear about the good and the bad.
Thanks.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. You have no info in your profile where your from so that folks maybe could help locate a dealer close by to view your choice. Also going to an RV show may help. Lots of folks here to help. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Dave, U.S.A.F. (Ret)

OK, I think I have my info field set. Lets see if this worked.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
Dave, U.S.A.F. (Ret)

Nope, didn't work, lets try this.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Dave, U.S.A.F. (Ret)

Well, I guess you all know by now that I'm not sure how to add my signature to the end of the message (unless I got it to work this time).
2016 Ford Focus, flat tow
Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

New Cardinal Luxury?

We are on our second Cardinal. We currently have a 3350RLX. We have been happy with each of them and feel like they are well made for the price point. Our warranty work was all handled without any hassle and quickly approved by the Cardinal division.

The biggest issue we had were two of the hydraulic rams were leaking past the seal and had to be replaced. This isn’t really a Cardinal problem, but a Lippert problem and one I’ve seen posted about by other brands. Seems like Lippert had a bad run of rams.

All other items have been standard QC issues that riddle the industry. The key is finding a good dealer and doing a thorough PDI.

Things we like:

The Furrion stove and oven
Big shower
King bed
Solid cabinets
G-rated tires

The exterior storage is a bit smaller than our previous rig, but plenty big.

Overall we really like it and would consider buying another one if we were in the market.

Feel free to PM me if you’d like to give me a call and talk more.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Responded over on IRV but check the River Stone and their Legacy line out, we are very happy with ours!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
bigdaddy1

Have to agree with JTaylor1920 we really like our 3350 and we have had three cardinals so for. Just the right size for us.

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #9
Dave, U.S.A.F. (Ret)

I checked out the Riverstone and the Riverstone Legacy. The Riverstone doesn't have a floor plan that will work for us, but I do like the floor plan in the Legacy 38FB-2, but the price it a little to much for us. We have a few must have items, such a King bed, 2 bathroom sinks (or bath and a half), Stackable washer/dryer (but can't be in bedroom, that's my DW thing), and no carpets, except the little strips of carpet under the dinning table. Right now our top 4 are:
1. Forest River Cardinal Luxury 3930FBX.
2. VanLeigh Vilano 370GB.
3. Heartland Big Horn 3850ML.
4. Forest River Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FBD.
2016 Ford Focus, flat tow
Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
"On the road again"

We absolutely LOVE our Cardinal and in just under two years of use and almost 8,000 miles of travel and 210 nights of using it - we have had pretty much zero problems. We feel it is extremely solidly built and a considerable step up from the Columbus we had previously.

We have camped in some pretty stormy situations and it's been pretty solid with minimal movement from the wind and rains.

We have zero regrets and continue to absolutely love getting our Cardinal out on the road...which we'll be doing for another 8 days next weekend.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #11

Cardinal Quality

I'm into my third fifth wheel, and twenty years of fifth wheeling. My choice was the 3250RLX with residential refer. I researched every manufacture. Perfect for towing with a SRW pickup. I can fit in most campsites and I have almost everything a 40ft. rig has. Quality is amazing. There always is something you won't like. I fix small issues myself.
All rack and pinion slides was a major reason, but the rig has so many nice features found in rigs costing much more!
Stepdad1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #12

We have a 2018 Cardinal 3456RL and have been extremely pleased with it. Have had no issues with it. We went through Hurricane Harvey in it and were pleased that we had NO leaks and it was very stable. We are pleased with the cabinetry and workmanship inside. It has two lavatories with a nice sized bath. We had a Cardinal once before and was pleased with it as well.
wtchamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #13

Thumbs down

Be very wary. We bought our 3350 last April and it has been in the shop since August. It's now almost April and still no end in sight. I'm not sure I remember what it looks like.

It wasn't roadworthy when it shipped from the factory. The hydraulics were leaking - we were told that was normal for a new unit - we broke down hard in WY on our 4th trip with less than 2k miles on it. We now have less than 7k miles on it and just over 30 nights in it. Our trip to Alaska? probably a real bad idea with equipment like this.

Examples: The drawers guides had no screws in them; the roof vent in the bedroom disintegrated twice; the doors stick after two days of setup cuz it goes out of level; the tv lift wasn't attached; The tv cables weren't attached or labeled; the black tank handle was rusted shut and the valve leaked badly - ICH!; the gray and black water tanks hold only about 60% of what's advertised - documented by the dealer now. We have almost 50 documented serious defects so far, but who really knows, we haven't been able to use it long enough to get a good look at it. We're still without a majority of the owners manuals - we have located a few generic ones online; I could go on at length, but for what? FR tells me I have a dealer problem; the dealer is documenting problems and pointing back at FR. To date no one has stepped up and made it right. This is by far the most disappointing purchase of anything I've ever made in my life. I've worked very hard with both FR and the dealer to resolve this. I did get loud with them just once during a conference call, I'm human, I lost it a bit. I wouldn't give anyone a dime until you have your unit inspected by a professional just in case yours is built on a Friday afternoon after everyone comes back from the bar - like mine.
Curtsbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
Cardinal Customer Service

We, at Forest River Cardinal, take customer service very seriously. And we apologize for the lack of service you have received thus far. Please contact Anita Carpenter at (574) 367-3312 or acarpenter@forestriverinc.com so we can work together to resolve your issues. Thank you!
Anita Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Our dealer has Cardinal Luxury, Heartland Gateway, Big Country, Bighorn and Landmark in Fifth Wheels.

We looked at the Cardinal when we bought the Bighorn. We looked again at the Cardinal when we traded for the Landmark.

Both time no comparision. The Gateway is close to the Cardinal and comparing FR products I would say the Cardinal is like a Columbus Compass.

Look at the Riverstone for FR for a high end coach or Landmark in the Heartland family. Alternate brand Jayco Pinnacle does come close but is not a Riverstone/ and or Landmark.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Carpenter View Post
We, at Forest River Cardinal, take customer service very seriously. And we apologize for the lack of service you have received thus far. Please contact Anita Carpenter at (574) 367-3312 or acarpenter@forestriverinc.com so we can work together to resolve your issues. Thank you!
Anita, I for one want to thank you for reaching out to this individual, especially in an informal setting such as this.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #17

We have a 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL and have had no issues to date.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #18

My 2017 3850RL has had a huge list of quality issues, but FR has been outstanding on their response to make things right. I am wrapping up what are hopefully the last of the issues on my unit.

Had FR not stepped up like they have, I would no longer own the trailer I have.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #19

How did you get them to respond. I've contacted Anita twice - email and phone - since she reached out and no reply
Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #20

I'm trying - email phone and in this forum where I see us both on line - to respond to you offer to help. I'm certain we're all looking at this online now together. Can we please go forward with the help you've offered?

Tags
cardinal