Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #1

Opinion on 2000 Cardinal Model 27RKFSS.

Can I get opinions on 2000 Cardinal. Model 27RKFSS.
THANKS
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:07 AM   #2
Always Learning

It’s a 20 year old trailer. You’re going to need to inspect it well- from frame and suspension to roof, walls, and signs of water damage. Don’t forget to thoroughly inspect all systems.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Not sure what you mean by "opinions", since it seems that you already own it, by your post in the Welcome Mat section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Opinions on a 20 year old camper.....ok! Find yourself a reliable/honest dealer willing to provide service for your unit.

If you are mechanically inclined replace the bearings, brakes, suspension springs, wheel lug nuts and tires. Now that you are ready to roll, get to one of our rallies and start the adventure!

Install a new Group 27 battery and start testing all 12vdc systems, spare fuses are a must have.

Duct tape and WD40 are not your favorite choice on a camper, take the time to do it right.

Read every post on the Tech Talk, General Repair section of this forum. If you don't currently have appliance or system issues....you will. Having a little knowledge about each system will really help to diagnose and repair.

Come back here often and tell us what you are experiencing with your rig, knowledge is everywhere but you've got to ask.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #5

One place that I would want to inspect would be the spring eye bolts, spring eye liners and bolt to shackle interface on both sides of the shackles. The shackles are wear items and as the dry bolt tears at the material it will eventually rip through the worn shackle. These are easily replaced, universal and readily available from places like Etrailer and other online trailer supply places, tractor supply or Rural King. Napa can source them as well, but they may not be a stocked item on a shelf. I often make my own out of 1/4" plate and drill the bolt holes on a drill press.

The spring eyes have a delrin sleeve bushing in them to provide a wear surface for the bolts that pass through the springs. This is easily pushed out and a new one pushed in. Then you can lightly grease the bolts after cleaning any rust off and reinsert them.

You can do a wholesale replacement of the drum brakes extremely easily, places like Etrailer sell complete assembled backing plates that allow you to sever the wires and remove the 4 nuts holding your 20 year old brakes and magnets on. You just slip the new assembly on, torque the nuts and attach the wires. I like this method over rebuilding the rusty/crusty stuff. And the cost is not much different once you buy magnets, shoes and hardware.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

My opinion if the Model suggest a rear kitchen, I’d run away. Rear kitchen models are notorious for throwing all you kitchen gear, plates, pans, table wear all over.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

not true about rear kitchens. I have not had a problem with our rear kitchen at all. I would definitely say to pack smart. They are very roomy and tons of storage.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
My opinion if the Model suggest a rear kitchen, I’d run away. Rear kitchen models are notorious for throwing all you kitchen gear, plates, pans, table wear all over.
We've had no problems with our rear kitchen TT either.
We prefer it to other floorplan styles. The DW hates floorplans where you walk through the kitchen to get to the living area.
Our next trailer will also be a rear kitchen model.

JSO, is this because of personal experience with a rear kitchen model?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

Yes, we owned a rear kitchen FW model back in 2002 and never again. On rough highways like South Carolina’s I-95 or Ohio,s I-77, it would throw the burner grates off the stove. The glass wear in the cabinets would be all over the place. Worst part was the Dometic refer. First trip out, almost everything in the fridge was either on the floor or had swapped positions. All we had at the time was towels which we stuffed between items to hold them in place and a hasp on the fridge door to keep it closed. It was explained to me, the wheels are like a fulcrum and the front and rear is where the trailer moves up and down the most and harshest. I traded it on a 2004 Sandpiper rear living which was a vast improvement as far as things staying in place. BTW, we’ve owned 2 motor homes, 3 fifth wheels and a TT toy hauler since 1998 and only 1 rear kitchen.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote