Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonandpandora View Post
We are picking up our new 2016 3825fl this week and after seeing the recall for the tire inflation placard and reading that the 3825 should have G rated tires I think the one I'm getting has E rated Marathon.
Having a sob 5th with a 15500 gvwr that came with g rated from the factory I think the e rated are not quite enough tire for the units weight.
Placard on the new trailer indicates E rated tires with de rated 7000 axles.
Thinking that I may ask dealer to swap my G rated for the E as they are the same bolt pattern and rim size. Tires on my sob are 4 months old. They are Sailun s637 14 ply weight indicated on tire is 4085.
I understand the whole 25% on the pin so the tires are not carrying all the weight concept. I feel that it is better to have more capacity and not need it than need it and not have it. Takes a lot of the blow out factor away.
Would go to 17.5 but budget took a hit with new truck and 5er.
Anyone else purchase this model that came with e rated tires?
I see you got the tires changed.

FYI With a NHTSA recall in effect it would have been illegal for the dealer to sell the RV with the ST LR-E tires on it.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #22

That's who I told the boys at the dealership to order from. Super people to deal with and great customer service. ( talking to actual people is always a plus.)

DW, 2 Spoiled Beagles IZZY and Pup Pup,
And Hillbilly Bob an American Bobtail Rescue Cat.
Seeing America one jobsite at a time..
Leonandpandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #23

Did not realize that. Knew about the recall but assumed it was up to the buyer to do the right thing. Then the dealer has a bunch of tires to swap out because he has quite a few of the large units on his lot and they have E tires on them.
Assumption is not a good thing sometimes.
Thanks for that info.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #24

Had my tires upgraded to 'g' rated tires when I bought my Cardinal 3625. The problem I later encountered were three cracked rims! Discovered that the rims were not upgraded. The rims for the 'e' rated tires could not withstand the pressure of a 'g' rated tire. After changing The rims I have had no problems.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #25

I'd say your dealer has a little explaining to do. I had them switch the rims and tires off my old rig. The rims don't look as nice but at least I knew they were rated for G tires.
If it were me I be looking to the dealer for some relief. Surely they knew that the rims wouldn't stand the pressure. It's stamped into them.
I feel for you. They would have sent me out on the marathons and not thought twice.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 PM   #26

Rim

You are right. However I was ignorant about rim capabilities and tire specs. I went to the supplier of the tires and rims. They backed their warranty until they realized the tires and rims were incompatible.
I had a horrible experience with the dealer I bought the trailer from so I headed to a local tire dealer where I lived. They solved my problem.
I have found that the manufacturer did a great job standing by their product IF you take your rig to them. Dealer do not want to repair- only sell. That is where the money is for them.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #27

Have him swap them , even if you have to break them down and put them on the new rims.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhiltman View Post
You are right. However I was ignorant about rim capabilities and tire specs. I went to the supplier of the tires and rims. They backed their warranty until they realized the tires and rims were incompatible.
I had a horrible experience with the dealer I bought the trailer from so I headed to a local tire dealer where I lived. They solved my problem.
I have found that the manufacturer did a great job standing by their product IF you take your rig to them. Dealer do not want to repair- only sell. That is where the money is for them.

I think if the dealer sold you G tires but not rims that would handle the inflation that is clearly a safety issue the dealer should know about.
IMO
1. A complaint to NHTSA on the sale of unsafe wheels is in order
2. A complaint to BBB on the sale of unsafe wheels is in order
3. Complaint to RV MFG about the dealer selling unsafe tire/wheel combinations.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #29

Been waiting since March 13 for an official answer from Forest River as to:
A) Will the rims on my new trailer handle the 125 lb G614's?
and
B) Will the hubs accept direct installation of the 17.5" rims and G611 tires.

No reply. Sent several emails. Just gave up trying to get an official answer.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #30

Regarding the Cedar Creeks they use to come with G14's back when we got ours, just replaced them last year with the same. I don't care for the new Westlakes but that's just my opinion.

Tags
tire