Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Prewired for 2nd a/c unit???

I just purchased a 2005 Forest River Cardinal and was wanting to know if I could add a 2nd a/c unit. I've read where some come prewired for a 2nd unit. How can I tell if mine is prewired or not?

orabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Head Rambler

#1 way, is it a 50 amp unit? If it's not then it likely isn't prewired.
#2 way is to pull the vent trim in the bedroom off and see if there's romex wiring ran to there. If there is, then it's wired for a second A/C.

Even if it isn't prewired for a second A/C, plenty of people have added a second unit to their RV and ran power from the ceiling to the outside and used a 20 amp power cord to run to the pedestal.

It may even be possible to upgrade the unit to a 50 amp service if it isn't.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

2nd A/C Wiring???

A while back I ask the question about whether or not my Forest River Cardinal 29' 5th wheel with 50 amp service would be pre-wired for a second a/c unit or not. I got a couple of inputs from the forum, but not many. Can anyone answer this question? If it does have wiring for a second a/c, how would it be wired in the breaker box? Or would it be listed in the box if it were pre-wired?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabun View Post
A while back I ask the question about whether or not my Forest River Cardinal 29' 5th wheel with 50 amp service would be pre-wired for a second a/c unit or not. I got a couple of inputs from the forum, but not many. Can anyone answer this question? If it does have wiring for a second a/c, how would it be wired in the breaker box? Or would it be listed in the box if it were pre-wired?
Maybe you could answer Bama Ramblerís question in post 2.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabun View Post
If it's prewired there will be an unused wire in the panel box it won't be hooked to a breaker. Romex sheath probably not stripped off the end. Should be a yellow Romex.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Just be aware that in a 2005 unit that romex, if it exists, probably isn't going to be yellow. I know in our 2006 unit we had all the romex sheaths whether it was #14 or #12 awg were white.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #7

Yes, it is a 50 amp.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
#1 way, is it a 50 amp unit? If it's not then it likely isn't prewired.

#2 way is to pull the vent trim in the bedroom off and see if there's romex wiring ran to there. If there is, then it's wired for a second A/C.

Even if it isn't prewired for a second A/C, plenty of people have added a second unit to their RV and ran power from the ceiling to the outside and used a 20 amp power cord to run to the pedestal.

It may even be possible to upgrade the unit to a 50 amp service if it isn't.
Yes, it is a 50 amp.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
Head Rambler

The next thing to do is either pull the trim ring off the vent and see if there's 120 volt wiring there, an/or pull the cover off the power panel and see if there's a spare wire in there. If you find one in both places that's almost for certain that it's wired for the second unit.

Tags
wiring