Old 07-15-2015, 02:00 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to redjet
Progressive EMS in Cardinal 3850RL

I am waiting completion of a 2016 Cardinal 3850RL and planned to hardwire a Progressive EMS into the electrical system. The unit has the generator prep package and consequently a transfer switch. The transfer switch is located just above the battery boxes. The wiring to the box is from the bottom and there appears to be no area to mount the EMS and the land power cable is only about 10 inches long.

Has anyone figured out how to hardwire a progressive EMS in this unit?

Plan B is to use the portable 50 amp EMS.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2015 Ford F250 - 6.7L - King Ranch - 4X4 - Air Lift 5000/ wireless air
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
bigdaddy1

For me I went with plan B on my 3850RL Cardinal and a clasp with a lock. I know that someone could take or borrow it but I made it a little tougher for a thief to have his way. We have been on only two trips so far in our new unit but we really like our choice.

2016 3850RL Cardinal
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

I went with the portable. In the event of a lightning strike or other spike that may burn out the EMS, I am able to unplug it and still plugged into the campground without having to uninstall the Hilton
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

i have a 2015 cardinal 3825 which i'm sure is the same as yours in the generator compartment area. i purchased a ems 50 amp hardwired uint and was going to install it myself. but i chickened out for exactly the reasons you mentioned. i went to several rv dealers and got quotes to install it and camping world came in with the best quote so i had them install it. they mounted the ems box to the left on the wall of the generator box. it looks like they took the shore power cable out of the transfer box and spliced a bit of new cable to run to the input of the ems box. they installed new cable from the output of the ems box to the input of the transfer switch. when i say cable it really is individual wires that they put some plastic protector around and secured it with cable ties. (i know this plastic wrap has a name but i cannot remember what it is, but you see it all around the wires in the trailer). i looked at the wires they installed and they seem thick enough though i did not measure them. but so far everything seems ok. if i had done it myself i would have probably tried to buy some of the thick cable like the shore power cable and that would have been pretty hard to route. using the individual wires for each lead and them packaging them in the plastic seems a bit easier.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #5

Thanks folks - I appreciate all the ideas. My mind keeps picturing the clutter around the transfer switch, the short cables, all the work involved and concludes the remote install is probably my best option. If i hardwired the EMS into the electrical and had a EMS failure, it would take lots of time to reroute the wiring to restore power. Then when the EMS was fixed to put it all back again - Too much potential work. Naturally, this is assuming a failure will occur.

The ease of unplugging the power cord from the remote EMS in case it has a complete failure is the easy solution with the least amount of work. Its not my first choice but its the way I will go. Now we only have to be concerned about the EMS being stolen. I think a lock and a vinyl cover will help. "Out of sight out of mind." Let's hope.

thanks again.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #6

Securing the portable using either of 2 locks I have:
Resort campground ( home base ) heavier chain and locks. Takes 2 minutes. I am often not there for extended time periods. Unit closed down and secured. EZ to see we are "not home".

Same as above in state parks.

Overnights, around the area etc, have the fully adjustable UP TO 6ft cable lock by Master Lock. Fits all posts in 1 minute. Not as TOUGH TO PENETRATE AS THE CHAIN.

Either way; all good. Master Sliding Cable Lock was $28 through TechnoRV found on line. Bought my EMS through them as well and VERY REASONABLE and FAST!!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #7

I looked at the adjustable master cable lock - great idea. Thank you

Old 07-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

Master Cable Lock

You are welcome. Very ez to use!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #9

I went with the 50 amp Progressive EMS portable because I didn't want to take the chance of voiding the factory warranty since I would of installed the hardwired unit myself. I chain and lock it to the pedestal. So glad I went with the portable, they have a transformer sounding hummm. Glad it's outside, the humming would drive me crazy if it was inside the Windjammer.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #10

Hardwired Progressive EMS with Remote

I have a 2014 Cardinal 3850RL. I hardwired the 50 amp Progressive EMS and mounted it about 12" above the Furrion ATS, protecting shore and generator power. It was easier than wiring for shore power alone. The only difficulty I encountered was working with 6 AWG wire inside the Progressive EMS box (not much room). The 3850RL has plenty of wire to work with for moving the power output from the Furrion ATS to the EMS. Total install took about 2 hours. Works perfectly and the remote makes checking power status a breeze.

Tags
cardinal