Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Reese Sidewinder Hitch

Has anyone used the reese sidewinder hitch and if so any problems such as frame cracks or anything else?
donabevd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

A quick search would have led you to numerous threads about the Sidewinder hitch and its twin the Reese Revolution.

As far as I know, all Flagstaff and Rockwood 5th wheels come with that pinbox from the factory. Mine did. It has been a great feature and I recommend it for those of us with shortbed trucks so a slider hitch is not needed. Some maintenance of the system IS required and it varies as to how difficult some feel that maintenance is. I think it is easy.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Sidewinder Hitch

I put one on my 2016 Crusader 297 RSK. My dealer contacted the trailer maker and Reese to ensure I could put this pin box on and not void any warranties. Originally I had a 2010 Dodge Ram with a short box, 5' 8" box I believe and the only way I could pull a fifth wheel was with this pin box or a slider hitch. I didn't want the slider hitch due to weight. I since upgraded my truck to a Ram 2500 diesel with a 6' 4" box, but still put on the Sidewinder even though I don't really need it for turning. BUT with this pin box I can go past 90 degree turn and not even come close to the truck cab. Pros and Cons for the sidewinder:
Pros - moves trailer back 22 inches from truck cab
- I have better use of my truck box because the trailer pivots or turns under the nose of the trailer, not in the truck box,
- trailer backs up better and is more responsive when backing up
Cons - really only one, when hitching up, you have to hit the pin dead on or the wedge won't engage into the hitch and not allow the pin to engage the hitch. Took us an hour the first time trying to hook up our selves. Now DW and I have it down pretty good but it took us a bit to learn, as DW lines me all up standing behind the pin telling me which way I need to go. Arguments sometimes started up, but I soon learnt to just shut up and do what she was telling to do. LOL.
Hope this helps
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid View Post
I put one on my 2016 Crusader 297 RSK. My dealer contacted the trailer maker and Reese to ensure I could put this pin box on and not void any warranties. Originally I had a 2010 Dodge Ram with a short box, 5' 8" box I believe and the only way I could pull a fifth wheel was with this pin box or a slider hitch. I didn't want the slider hitch due to weight. I since upgraded my truck to a Ram 2500 diesel with a 6' 4" box, but still put on the Sidewinder even though I don't really need it for turning. BUT with this pin box I can go past 90 degree turn and not even come close to the truck cab. Pros and Cons for the sidewinder:
Pros - moves trailer back 22 inches from truck cab
- I have better use of my truck box because the trailer pivots or turns under the nose of the trailer, not in the truck box,
- trailer backs up better and is more responsive when backing up
Cons - really only one, when hitching up, you have to hit the pin dead on or the wedge won't engage into the hitch and not allow the pin to engage the hitch. Took us an hour the first time trying to hook up our selves. Now DW and I have it down pretty good but it took us a bit to learn, as DW lines me all up standing behind the pin telling me which way I need to go. Arguments sometimes started up, but I soon learnt to just shut up and do what she was telling to do. LOL.
Hope this helps
I think you mean that the Sidewinder moves the PIVOT POINT of the 5th wheel back 22" not moves the trailer back 22".
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #5

Oops, sorry, yes thanks for the correction.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch