Old 07-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Relocating to Fort Lupton CO

My job is moving me to Fort Lupton CO and I will be pulling my fiver to live in. I have never brought my camper to this area during the winter. Is there anything special I need to do to my camper to get ready for the freezing cold weather? my wife and I traveled to CO several times but during the spring and late summer never the winter. I have a 2008 Cardinal its all enclosed belly and insulated so I dont think I have to worry about the lines freezing as we will be living in it. any suggestions?

wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

I would suggest finding a economical apartment. Your going to spend a lot of $ for LP and electricity for space heaters. Very few campers are truly set up for winter camping. Though I can't speak for your unit, our Blue Ridge also has a insulated underbelly which I don't really think it's does much. The insulation is only R7, which is nothing for Colorado standards, and it just lays on the underbelly. That leaves the frame unprotected which will allow the cold to migrate thru the floor.
I would expect that you may still run into freezing pipes once you get below freezing. You'd be surprised how unprotected the water lines in a camper are. Due to a tire blow out I found that I had water lines running above the wheel well only separated from the elements by a thin piece of plywood. Some of my pipes would surely freeze.
Are your tanks heated? If not I you may run into some major issues specially with the black tanks.
But on the other hand , there's probably plenty of people that do it and have few troubles. Maybe add some insulation, add a skirt around the outside, use some heat tape on the water lines and all may be well.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #3

my tanks are heated and I have pulled to underbelly down a couple times and the insinuation is packed pretty tight around all the tanks and close to the floor. I am thinking I might have to pass on this job. A friend of mine has a Rockwood and he goes to Montana quit often during the winter in his and he said it does pretty good but that is only for a few weeks a year thats a lot different then the whole winter. thanks for the feedback.
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat