Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #1

rooftop traveller HD satellite antenna for dish network

Hey all. Have any of you installed the winegard traveller HD automatic satellite dish on the roof of your recent model year Cardinal? It is my understanding that the unit is not ready for it (per a factory rep at time of unit order). By ready for it, I mean that it seems to take to dedicated runs of RG6 to each receiver. I am only interested in having a receiver at the living room TV. We already have Dish at home, and a Wally for the RV. We like it and are not interested in changing providers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I learn a lot on here; its a great forum!

Happy travels
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

I have one for DiretTV,. ATT, they are expensive a you only have a problem if you park under treea.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #3

Yea, I'm a bit sad that FR didnt run the RG6 up to this area too. So, while not impossible, your installer will have to snake the RG6 from the mounting location through the roof cavity, to presumably the same locations where the wiring for the roof A/C's come down to the breaker box area, as that should get access to the basement. You'd would then have to tie into the "Satellite" coax as it runs from the water bay.

While you only intend on 1 receiver, if it were me, I'd have the installer run multiple coax to the basement just in case you change your mind so that there is nothing left to do.

While I dont have that specific dish (I use a DirectV one on a tripod), my buddy does for DirecTV. There is also a separate controller box that is used for the auto alignment process of the dish in addition to your satellite receiver. I assume it would be the same for the Dish version of the same dish.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

Sure this is not the best set up available but works for me and my normal camping situations.... Dish customer at home. Purchased a playmaker satelite from DISH $149.00..... (did not buy Wally; use extra old receiver from home).

Only had it for 6 months and used 8-10 times. Does take 10 minutes of set up time but I have managed to get signal on every attempted set up. I do hit some heavy wooded CG's in N Ga mountains and find often that I have to move the unit around to find the best signal spot. Have 30' coax cable range. If my unit were attached to my roof, my thinking is that I would be giving up this flexability to move it around for pick up???

I am very satisfied with it until I see something else more convenient first hand.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

Yes to the second wiring. I have three receivers in my 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL. What do you do if your better half wants to watch something while you are watching the ballgame?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
Yes to the second wiring. I have three receivers in my 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL. What do you do if your better half wants to watch something while you are watching the ballgame?
I usually end up watching something else..!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

I have wiring for a rooftop mount on our 2016. It looks like a vent but it’s marked satellite.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

If you mount a satellite to your roof, I would mount it toward the front or rear to avoid trees.

When they are designing RV parks, trees are planted near the water, sewer, and electric hook ups. The placement of these utilities are half way up the side of your spot. Lining up with he middle of your RV. The trees block the sky and neighbors.

There is also a movement to put the utilities in the back corner of the spot. Another story?
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
I have wiring for a rooftop mount on our 2016. It looks like a vent but it’s marked satellite.
Odd. My Cardinal is a early 2017 (built 2016), and is a 3850RL. I haven not seen such a thing on my roof, although I may go look again. You have a 3825RL? Is it obviously marked?

Most places we camp are wide-open, and would love to be able to just push a button.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #10

That is what it should be like, turn in on and wait for TV.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Id love the plug and play but not at the expense of having to stay in open sites with no trees. SE mountains are my stomping ground and the roof mounts dont offer the flexability I need. Like many things RV'ing, it depends a lot on the style campgrounds you visit most often and your own situation.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
Odd. My Cardinal is a early 2017 (built 2016), and is a 3850RL. I haven not seen such a thing on my roof, although I may go look again. You have a 3825RL? Is it obviously marked?

Most places we camp are wide-open, and would love to be able to just push a button.
It has satellite printed on it. It’s not obvious unless you get on top and look. It’s toward the front and looks like a vent. We have a 3825FL so a rear living may have it in the back.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
It has satellite printed on it. It’s not obvious unless you get on top and look. It’s toward the front and looks like a vent. We have a 3825FL so a rear living may have it in the back.
Thanks for that. I'll have to climb up again and take a peek. I've been up there a few times for general maintenance, and didnt notice anything, but I do have like 3 'vents' on my roof, just didnt see the word satellite on any of them. I assumed two were roof vents, and 1 was sewer vent.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #14

Thank you all for your input. Haven't been on here since I did the original post.
Now that I re-read my original post, I must have been drinking beer that night, lol.

We all have one satellite (RG6) run up to the roof on these units. Mine has a run to both the bedroom and living room. The plate has three coax fittings. The issue is that the traveller antenna needs two runs to each receiver. Just not sure if that second run needs to go all the way to the roof. To my knowledge, all the other antennas only require one.

I was just wondering how much labor was involved; I've seen other Cardinals with this setup, usually going the other direction on the interstate. As the antenna is around $1400, I don't want to spend another $1K in labor, nor do I want the trailer taken apart to install.

I understand the tree issue mentioned by several of you. Out here on the west coast, trees are not as big an issue (usually) as we are not nearly as wooded as back east.

Yes this setup is expensive, but it is the ultimate in convenience. It truly is push the button, and wait for tv!

I have made a homemade mount for the ladder for my pathway x2; still tweaking on it a little bit when I have the time. Works fine in the driveway, but haven't traveled with it yet. Antenna detaches and travels in the basement. Keeping it in my pocket for now; if it works out I will share.

Once again, thanks to all for your input! Happy travels
Our 14th! RV
Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
Thanks for that. I'll have to climb up again and take a peek. I've been up there a few times for general maintenance, and didnt notice anything, but I do have like 3 'vents' on my roof, just didnt see the word satellite on any of them. I assumed two were roof vents, and 1 was sewer vent.
Hate to quote my own quotes, but sure enough. Into my 4th season with my Cardinal, and never noticed the "satellite" label on one of the vents. Oddly, it is near the front AC to the street side, not down the middle. If I were to get the Traveler automatic dish, where would they mount it? It was my impression that the vent would be removed, and the antenna mounted over that hole?? is that not the case?

Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #16

Hmmm. On previous SOB rv's, that was merely an access to the cabling, not an actual antenna mount. The traveller takes up a bit of real estate up there due to its articulation. It "folds" up and down; travels flat, and then articulates 90 degrees up and rotates, etc to find signal. Now I'm not even sure it would fit due to my 3350 having all three a/c units. My inlaws are currently staying out in the yard in their motorhome and they have one on their unit. I'll have to look into the physical size of the traveller unit.

The issue we had a few years back with a dome unit was that in the fog or drizzle, one water bead would block the entire signal. There would be no reception at all until it dried up. Gave up on going up there to wipe it off. Would just recur a few minutes later. Rain X helped somewhat, but not entirely.

Hopefully my redneck ladder mount works out
Our 14th! RV
Old 05-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darndave View Post
Hmmm. On previous SOB rv's, that was merely an access to the cabling, not an actual antenna mount. The traveller takes up a bit of real estate up there due to its articulation. It "folds" up and down; travels flat, and then articulates 90 degrees up and rotates, etc to find signal. Now I'm not even sure it would fit due to my 3350 having all three a/c units. My inlaws are currently staying out in the yard in their motorhome and they have one on their unit. I'll have to look into the physical size of the traveller unit.

The issue we had a few years back with a dome unit was that in the fog or drizzle, one water bead would block the entire signal. There would be no reception at all until it dried up. Gave up on going up there to wipe it off. Would just recur a few minutes later. Rain X helped somewhat, but not entirely.

Hopefully my redneck ladder mount works out
Yes, I know its just wiring access point. My "assumption" was that it would have been located such that it would just be removed/covered up with the antenna mount.

I found someone on the Cardinal club forum (an may frequent here as well) that has the same model as I with the Traveler mounted. He agreed to send me some photos.

Tags
antenna, lite, roo, roof, satellite, travel