Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Satellite hook up

Just bought a 2008 Cardinal 5th wheel 33 WB-LE. Anybody know why I put my two satellite cables on the satellite ends in the outside compartment and got nothing in the inside? I know I'm connected to the satellite it works when I hook up to the tv direct. Don't have a manual yet on the trailer. Does any one know where the splitter is. I'm thinking that might be my problem.
Bob
6907bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #2

Most all of the splitters (on mine) were behind the concertone system. On the outside of the trailer I have one male post for cable and one for sat. On the inside the cable coax will hook up behind the wall plate for the onboard ant. the sat. cable will have its own set up. You do not know what the past owner has done to rewire etc. I would just start behind the walls, I had to disconnect all the coax from the concertone system as it just seemed to make more work for hook ups.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the cost of satellite installation would be. I have a Cardinal 39' 3625 RT 5er. It's pre-wired for sat. I'm thinking about getting a Directv Slimeline for my HD Sat. I believe it's a 3500.

Thanks all, Stan
Sg6923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #4

I just had a Winegard SK 3005 installed on a Cardinal 3030RS and it was $2200 out the door installed. Absolutely beautiful reception & extremely easy to use. A little pricey, but it sure is nice to have.
Cummings Onan 5500 generator
Hitch - Husky 26K slider
Winegard SK 3005 dish
UT Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #5

Ouch! They're proud of them aren't they? I may get the sat and put it on a tripod for a while. The 5er has two sat inputs so should be easy enough to dry run. Likely will go for the install later. Thanks for the info Stan
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6923
Ouch! They're proud of them aren't they? I may get the sat and put it on a tripod for a while. The 5er has two sat inputs so should be easy enough to dry run. Likely will go for the install later. Thanks for the info Stan
That's what I did !
Dish on the ole tripod FREE !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
That's what I did !
Dish on the ole tripod FREE !
I do something similar I picked up a square metal apartment mount from a guy on Craigslist with a Slimline SWM dish I pull the dish off by loosening 3 nuts. The metal frame fits between my tailgate and my 5ver hitch and the dish sets in front of the hitch. Takes me about 10 minutes to setup and get signal. Got a H25 receiver (real small footprint) for it and all is well. Post has a leveling bubble and rotates so it is easy to get it level. I set the elevation and pitch before I leave so once it is level all I have to do is slowly move the dish until I get signal. I will try and post a picture.
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV
I do something similar I picked up a square metal apartment mount from a guy on Craigslist with a Slimline SWM dish I pull the dish off by loosening 3 nuts. The metal frame fits between my tailgate and my 5ver hitch and the dish sets in front of the hitch. Takes me about 10 minutes to setup and get signal. Got a H25 receiver (real small footprint) for it and all is well. Post has a leveling bubble and rotates so it is easy to get it level. I set the elevation and pitch before I leave so once it is level all I have to do is slowly move the dish until I get signal. I will try and post a picture.
I use a tri pod work light stand.
I am currently looking for another option.
Yours looks good but a bit bulky for my needs.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I use a tri pod work light stand.
I am currently looking for another option.
Yours looks good but a bit bulky for my needs.
Ron
It is not that heavy and the whole setup frame, dish and SWM power inserter cost me $50 got to love Craigslist .
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #10

Sounds interesting. Going to check it out. Thanks!! Stan
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

You can pickup a H25 HD receiver at Solid Signal for $99

DIRECTV H25 High Definition MPEG-4 Receiver (H-25) from Solid Signal
Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

I had Directv installed in the house this weekend and plan to put two receivers in the Bird. I got an extra satellite for this purpose. It came with a power inserter and 2-way SWM. The SWM has one red connection on one side and a red and white connection on the other. The Power inserter Has a red connection and a white. How do I connect all this?!! Initial thoughts are:

1. Red connection in Power Inserter to the single red connection on the SWM
2. Connect the other red connection on the SWM to the dish.
3. Connect white connection on the Power Inserter to the 1st (living room) Receiver.
4. Conn the white connection on the SWM to the second (bedroom) receiver.

Note: As my 5er is pre-wired for satellite, receiver 1&2 would be satellite connections left and right outside the camper.

How far off am I?

Thanks all!!

Stan
Old 08-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #13

Sorry for the double post. . I should have said SWM 2-way splitter. The new Directv sats have only only one coax coming off the LNB that can be split to power multiple receivers.

Stan
Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

So you have a SWM switch not a SWM LNB on your dish correct? If so that sounds right Check this out:
DirecTV SWM 8 Wiring Diagrams
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #15

I have a single coax coming out of the LNB. The SWM splitter gets me a second connection for the second receiver. I just wanted to be sure the power inserter was connected properly. Thanks for the link.

Stan
Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #16

You should be good to go. Red to SWM LNB, White to SWM Splitter and then from SWM Splitter to each Receiver. If they are DVRs hook coax to Tuner #1. You will have to select SWM in the receiver satellite setup menu and it may show you that like 2 or 3 satellite fail or something like that just click continue all will be good.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #17

With everyone's help I was able to get 100 percent signal and received all SAts the first time without tweaking. I'm convinced it's all in the tripod. It took me about two weeks of searching but found the heavy duty tripod needed for the Directv Slimline. Legs adjust independently and the model I got came with a compass and level specifically designed for the pod. Very well built and is available w carrying case. Website is tv4rv.

So much for the testimonial. My '10 3625 RT has 2 vertical cable connections in the bedroom and two horizontal connections on the outside of the camper. Anyone happen to know which of the two inside connect w the outside sat? Probably too vague a question and will have to trial and error.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6923 View Post
With everyone's help I was able to get 100 percent signal and received all SAts the first time without tweaking. I'm convinced it's all in the tripod. It took me about two weeks of searching but found the heavy duty tripod needed for the Directv Slimline. Legs adjust independently and the model I got came with a compass and level specifically designed for the pod. Very well built and is available w carrying case. Website is tv4rv.

So much for the testimonial. My '10 3625 RT has 2 vertical cable connections in the bedroom and two horizontal connections on the outside of the camper. Anyone happen to know which of the two inside connect w the outside sat? Probably too vague a question and will have to trial and error.
I picked up one of these Amazon.com: Steren Cable Continuity Tester - Cable Analyzer: Home Improvement

Tags
satellite