Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Satellite Frustrations

We got a 2017 Cardinal 3456RL with a great TV, but I cannot get the satellite to work in it. If i wire directly from the dish through the front door to the receiver, it works fine. I'm using DirecTV.

But, in the docking station it clearly states on the coaxial inputs SAT, CABLE and AUX. Inside are two completely UNLABELED coaxial connections. I've tried both of them - even tried all three of the outdoor inputs. Nothing...absolutely nothing.

Anybody else figured this out yet?

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 121
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

On my 3850rl, I have DirecTV hooked up through the sat port in the water bay to the top coax wall outlet by the living room TV, bedroom TV, and my tv in the basement. I've had the bulkhead in the basement out. On my unit, nothing was hooked to the aux port.

Be aware, at least on my unit, that these are not direct runs and has a splitter inline. I use DirecTV, and have a home style dish on tripod. My equipment is all swm, so the splitters play ok. I believe all the portable dishes require direct runs.

If you require a direct run, you will need to remove the splitter, run another line from aux, and splice both lines to the open connections. That would give you a run to both the bedroom and living room.

Before all the above, I'd remove the faceplates and check the coax ends, or even replace all the ends. I'd do the same behind the water bay too. On my unit, the cable TV wiring was not working from factory. We were on a trip, so I cut and replaced the connectors, and it started working.

Hope this helps.

Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

We have a Sabre 34 REQS with the same problem. Directv also. Had to call Directv to move my house dish. While I had the tech there explained my situation. He said no problem we'll check it out after I move your dish. We go inside and he removes the cable connection plate unhooks the orange cable, looks at the connection and says here's your problem showing me the connection. Now I'm kind of a tech savvy guy but I honestly could not see anything wrong. He cut off the connection on the cable and put a new one on. Brought out a meter and did a resistance test and said I was good to go. I didn't have my dish set up at the time but as soon as he left I had to check it out. Ran the signal through the camper and it worked like a charm! I know this is long but I fought the same problem your having for 3 years.

Have a tech come out and trouble shoot your rig. Save yourself a lot of headaches.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Its quite simple really, low grade coax, cheap non pass thru splitters, all contribute to themissue. Sat TV does not like the stuff mfgs install. Run a brand bew high quality coax from point A to point B behind yout TV, connect and watch TV.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Half-Timer

Loose coax connection

When we purchased our 2017 Sierra 378FB I could not get the Satellite connection to work. I found the problem to be a loose coax connection in the basement. Once tightened it worked fine.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited with 6.7L Cummins Diesel
Forest River Sierrra 378FB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
We have a Sabre 34 REQS with the same problem. Directv also. Had to call Directv to move my house dish. While I had the tech there explained my situation. He said no problem we'll check it out after I move your dish. We go inside and he removes the cable connection plate unhooks the orange cable, looks at the connection and says here's your problem showing me the connection. Now I'm kind of a tech savvy guy but I honestly could not see anything wrong. He cut off the connection on the cable and put a new one on. Brought out a meter and did a resistance test and said I was good to go. I didn't have my dish set up at the time but as soon as he left I had to check it out. Ran the signal through the camper and it worked like a charm! I know this is long but I fought the same problem your having for 3 years.

Have a tech come out and trouble shoot your rig. Save yourself a lot of headaches.
This is exactly what Directv did on my Cedar Creek and found bad connectors. He replaced them and it has worked great since.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
We got a 2017 Cardinal 3456RL with a great TV, but I cannot get the satellite to work in it. If i wire directly from the dish through the front door to the receiver, it works fine. I'm using DirecTV.

But, in the docking station it clearly states on the coaxial inputs SAT, CABLE and AUX. Inside are two completely UNLABELED coaxial connections. I've tried both of them - even tried all three of the outdoor inputs. Nothing...absolutely nothing.

Anybody else figured this out yet?
I have attached two copies of wiring information on either a portable satellite antenna such as a Dish Tailgater or a installed satellite such as one from Winegard Traveler antenna. These may help you!

I attach my portable satellite antenna to the port in the service bay labeled living room satellite.

My dealer provided this information to me when I purchased my trailer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WF-745 CedarCreek PowerSupply[1].pdf (495.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf WF-710 ForestRiver Traveler prewire.pdf (671.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #8
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Thanks for all the replies - I did find the problem and got it corrected. The SAT input in the docking station was hooked up to a splitter - however, it was plugged into one of the two OUTPUT connections. I took it off and hooked it up to the INPUT connection...moved the one from the input to an OUTPUT post and it works flawlessly.

Again thanks for the feedback it was basically digesting all of the above input that enabled me to find the issue and get it resolved.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 121
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Thanks for all the replies - I did find the problem and got it corrected. The SAT input in the docking station was hooked up to a splitter - however, it was plugged into one of the two OUTPUT connections. I took it off and hooked it up to the INPUT connection...moved the one from the input to an OUTPUT post and it works flawlessly.

Again thanks for the feedback it was basically digesting all of the above input that enabled me to find the issue and get it resolved.
Woohoo. Glad you found that.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #10

Satelite cable

Sir, my montana was the same way. camping world said the cable ran in the roof area, said the LED lights interfered with the cable.. they ran another cable underneath the rig. sat has worked ok since then...
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #11

Mine was wired the same way. To fix I ran the SAT connection to big TV and the CABLE line from satellite to bedroom TV.
Also found the digital antenna to be wired wrong. All is good now.

Tags
lite, satellite