Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Sounds to me that he has lost the ground or neutral somewhere along the line.

Is the outlet from the house wired proper? has a ground conductor been cut off a plug? Have you lost the neutral and now we have a back feed down the ground. has a plug been wired backwards (Neutral reversed with ground). Do you have a sub panel from your main panel that has been bonded where it should not have been? These things will create an electrical hazard.

Get a multimeter to test the circuit starting at the end of the cord where the trailer is plugged in and remove each part (cords, adapters, other) untill you find the problem.

If you are comming from a standard 120 volt outlet then get a plug tester and test the plug.
X2 on above post.

Usually an open neutral or reversed neutral and ground will create this issue. I run into this in the cable world getting zapped at a ground block for our cable line. Often it is an open neutral and the ground is now being used as its neutral.

Could also be hot and neutral swapped in the receptacle at the house with an open ground.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear View Post
I have a 2007 Cardinal 36RB. I keep getting shocked when touching anything metal on the trailer when plugged into A/C power. I obviously have a leak to ground. Where can I look to fix this? It is painful to work on my trailer.
Measure your 110V extension cord carefully, believe you have the white and black swapped on one end or the other. You you measure voltage with ground and narrow prong measured. Nothing with white and wide prong tested. I've had it happen to me, sloppy repair of cord swapped hot and neutral. Getting it at the hubcaps to grass! If cord is nonpolar like 30 years ago, get rid of it. I can be dangerous bite with the right (wet) connection. You have reverse polarity to every metal fixture aboard.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote