Old 08-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Problem Solver

Shocking Problem

I have a 2007 Cardinal 36RB. I keep getting shocked when touching anything metal on the trailer when plugged into A/C power. I obviously have a leak to ground. Where can I look to fix this? It is painful to work on my trailer.

2014 Dodge 3500 MegaCab w/ 6 spd auto and air ride suspension
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

There was a thread on this. As well, check with the guy who runs the RV No Shock Zone website. He posted here on occasion and is freakishly knowledgable with this stuff.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

There are at least two serious problems then. The first is that you have an open ground. If the ground was right, that "leak" would be leaving the trailer thru the ground wire instead of thru your body. And then of course whatever is connecting the hot wire to your RVs frame.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
There are at least two serious problems then. The first is that you have an open ground. If the ground was right, that "leak" would be leaving the trailer thru the ground wire instead of thru your body. And then of course whatever is connecting the hot wire to your RVs frame.
Let me rephrase. I only get shocked when hooked up to an extension cord after going from 50 Amps, to 30 Amps, and finally to 20 Amps. I have no problems when hooked up to power pedestals at any campgrounds.

Can the adapters and extension cord not handle my trailer. I only use the adapter setup to charge the battery and power the fridge. when at home.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

One or more of the adapters or extension cord are defective. A properly wired set will have no problem handling your trailer.

The 50->30 adapter should have both of the "hot" lines connected to the single "hot" of the 30-amp. The neutral and ground should pass straight thru with no other connections.

The 30->20 adapter should have each wire pass straight thru with no other connections. Same for the extension cord.

You can check these things with a multi-meter or continuity checker.

I'll enclose two pictures here which tell you what the hots, neutrals, and ground are supposed to be on the 50 and 30 ends.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2045422744.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	38100

Name:   image-2336263163.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  13.5 KB
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear View Post
Let me rephrase. I only get shocked when hooked up to an extension cord after going from 50 Amps, to 30 Amps, and finally to 20 Amps. I have no problems when hooked up to power pedestals at any campgrounds.

Can the adapters and extension cord not handle my trailer. I only use the adapter setup to charge the battery and power the fridge. when at home.
Did you (or another individual) make any of these extension cords or adapters....or are they all store bought?

It's common to mix the wires up when making your own stuff....or replacing an end on a cord.

Mike Sokol, who is a member here...has written several articles on hot skin issues and causes.

Here is a link to his great information

RV Electrical Safety: Part XI

and some more reading:

http://camping.about.com/od/rvdrivin...ers-in-RVs.htm

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Happy owner SOB

I disagree with the following
"The 50->30 adapter should have both of the "hot" lines connected to the single "hot" of the 30-amp. The neutral and ground should pass straight thru with no other connections"
Only ONE hot leg passes through the adapter TO THE 30AMP side. To connect both hot legs together you have connected 2 different 60HZ cycles together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
One or more of the adapters or extension cord are defective. A properly wired set will have no problem handling your trailer.

The 50->30 adapter should have both of the "hot" lines connected to the single "hot" of the 30-amp. The neutral and ground should pass straight thru with no other connections.

The 30->20 adapter should have each wire pass straight thru with no other connections. Same for the extension cord.

You can check these things with a multi-meter or continuity checker.

I'll enclose two pictures here which tell you what the hots, neutrals, and ground are supposed to be on the 50 and 30 ends.
Attachment 38100

Attachment 38101
Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
"The 50->30 adapter should have both of the "hot" lines connected to the single "hot" of the 30-amp. The neutral and ground should pass straight thru with no other connections"
Only ONE hot leg passes through the adapter TO THE 30AMP side. To connect both hot legs together you have connected 2 different 60HZ cycles together.
50 Amp trailer service is not 220 volt - 50 Amp service as most would think even though it is wired that way at the main panel , but rather Qty 2 - 50 Amp 120 volt legs inside the trailer. So the 50 to 30 Amp converter will combine both 120 legs to 1 - 30 Amp circuit allowing everything in the trailer to get power. This is what I have to do when I go to a campground that only has 30 Amp service which limits me to barely using 1 of my A/C units and not much else or I will trip the main breaker on the power pedestal.

I will test the extension cord and all the adapters to make sure they are not damaged until I get around to wiring the Power Pedestal I installed to be able to run my trailer properly.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I agree with the others - it's both sides otherwise only one of my air conditioners would be able to work. I'm able to run both (one at a time, of course).
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear View Post
50 Amp trailer service is not 220 volt - 50 Amp service as most would think even though it is wired that way at the main panel , but rather Qty 2 - 50 Amp 120 volt legs inside the trailer.
Sorry but I must disagree with that. It is exactly the same as the 220 volt service at your home (although home is a lot more than 50 amps).

Your home wouldn't have to be 2 phases either except for the few 240v appliances you have (if any) except as described below.

In fact, of you try to use "2 - 50 Amp 120 volt legs" (of the same phase) you would be putting 100 amps thru the shared neutral which would be a major overheating problem for the 50-amp wire and connectors in your RV. For this reason, your RV 50-amp service has to be 2 phases (eg, 220v) whenever the combined current in the two legs is more than 50 amps. That's clearly not a problem when you plug into a 30 (or 20) amp outlet, but don't try it with anything over a single-phase 50-amp outlet.