Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Swivel Trailer Towing

Does anyone have any experience with a swivel trailer behind a fifth wheel? I have a Cardinal 29' and want to install a hitch on the rv to pull a swivel trailer to put my motorcycle on it. I was wondering if it will work or what modifications need to be done?

JQuinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
I am also interested in this. I have a Cedar Creek 36CKTS and am looking for a way to haul my motorcycle

rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
I have 2 BIG. Motorcycles and a great fold up trailer. THE ISSUE IS LEGALITY VS DESIRE. I tried to get a fabricator to beef my frame on previous 2011 Keystone fifth wheel, 36 ft, triple slide.
The ISSUE is with reciprocity of state and local police and it varies like all over the board. Some have never been stopped. Some grounded and made to disconnect and tow separately. Make sure you get it right or you may pay.
It is illegal in Georgia AND Florida for sure! You see people towing boats and motorcycles through both all the time. Depends if the local police have little else to do.
I have seen plenty of Swivel Wheels in different sizes. Owners LOVE THEM.
Last year at our rv resort a retired bz owner with a huge Ford King Ranch pulling a Huge $100,000 plus fifth wheel and a $10,000 variation of a similar product to Swivel wheel. He was a fabricator and his spouse was recovering from cancer. Traveling the US for 2 years.
He actually WELDED his into a beefed frame hitch on BOTH SIDES.
Took it to his local highway patrol, I am not sure where, but they ok'd it as as part of the unit and it met length requirements.
Some RV resorts have denied people access for having 2 trailers and a tow vehicle without booking 2 spots. Blogs other than FR are out there.
Just saying what I have seen and people I have spoken with.
Be cautious and ensure you are at least legal in your plated state. Gives you basis for discussion should you be stopped. Most shops will NOT tell you about legality. It is not their bz.
Be wise, be safe.
Ps: you can rent a lot of rides through Eagle Rider or local HD dealerships without the worry, expense of a Swivel Wheel and wear and tear on your own bike. Pack your favorite helmet, boots, gloves, jeans and Rock n' Roll😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Hi and thanks for the info. I purchased the swivel trailer a year ago and didn't get around to getting it installed until now. I've heard the arguments that it is considered an extension of the fifth wheel and not a trailer, of course it depends on the trooper that stops you. Just wanted to know if it could be done with some fabrication. Should have done some research before I bought the trailer! Got it cheep so I'll have to take the chance. Thanks for your thoughts!
JQuinette is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, trailer