Old 01-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #1

Question Terrible Squeak In Landing gear

Had to raise my rig high the other day for some maintenance on the belly pans (tighten them once again for the ?? time). It was fine going up but coming back down it was making a terrible squeaking sound from the motor side (right side facing it). Is there a way to lubricate the system? It's never made the sound before but I've never raised it that high before either.

I was thinking that since the wheels are well chocked, maybe I was putting a bit of a bind on it when I lowered it back down? Possible?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Hog View Post
Had to raise my rig high the other day for some maintenance on the belly pans (tighten them once again for the ?? time). It was fine going up but coming back down it was making a terrible squeaking sound from the motor side (right side facing it). Is there a way to lubricate the system? It's never made the sound before but I've never raised it that high before either.

I was thinking that since the wheels are well chocked, maybe I was putting a bit of a bind on it when I lowered it back down? Possible?

Assuming that you have a 5th wheel, there is a way to grease the front legs. We owned a Montana that did the same thing. I supported the front of the 5th wheel betweem the jacks with boards and a hydrolic jack. Then I took off the base plates so the screw element showed. I made a three piece lubricator out of pvc with screw connections and a grease fitting in the end. I inserted the first section and then added the second section(because the bolt is up high in the leg and the total length of the grease ;unit was too long to go in all at once) that had a grease fitting in the end. I pumped about a half of a tube of grease in each side. It never squeaked again. Hope that helps.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #3

Thanks!!! I'll give that a try once the monsoon season ends here in CA. It's going to be an ugly week here in N CA but we need it.

Tags
cardinal