Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2009, 02:51 AM   #1

Question Tire axle spacing

I own a 2005 Cardinal 5th wheel 37RL with 2 axles & 4 slide outs. I would like to know if anyone else owns the same model and can tell how much spacing there is between the tires when mounted. I recently had 4 blow outs at the same time and I was told the springs and or u-bolts gave out causing the problem. Forest River replaced the springs and u-bolts with not problem. However, the orignal tire on the trailer were ST235/85R/16 C PLY and replaced with LT235/85R/16 E ply which Forest River stated should have been on there in the first place and did not know how they installed the ST tires. Issue: With the ST's, I had aprox 3 inches of space between the wheels, with the LTs I have 3/4 inch on one side and 1/2 inch on the other side, which does not leave much space for tire heat expansion. The tire manufacture and Forest River assured my RV dealer this is not a problem.

Can anyone tell if this is correct or can they provide me with a measurement and tire size on thier Cardinal 37RL?

Thanks

John
jdemars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #2

As far as I know, there is no general specs on tandem axle tire clearance.
I once spoke to a tire dealer about this and was told the above. He said if he had to guess, 1" should be sufficient.

To get a true measurement between tires, tow your trailer slowly in a straight line(do this on an empty parking lot). Note: Disconnect electrical cord from tow vehicle & trailer as not to apply trailer brakes.
Let the tow vehicle come to a stop by applying the tow vehicle brakes. Take a measurement between tires.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #3

my 36rlts cedar creek had about the same distance, i couldnt get my palm in between them, i had lot sof miles 15k or so and no problems
however i did replace my spring bolts with greaseable ones

then i sold her shortly afterwards
Old 10-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

it also looks to me your Tires went from a C load Range to a E load Range, alot better tire
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, cardinal