Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i'm not totally sure about the dates listed. we picked up our cardinal in march of 2015 (prior to the dates listed in this thread). the placard says load range e, inflate to 80 psi. the actual tires on the trailer are goodyear g614's load range g, inflate to 110 psi. I contacted forest river and they said the g614's were an optional item when the trailer was ordered. so what should the tire placard state, the standard tire (80 psi) or the optional tires that were installed (110 psi)? anyway, forest river said that if I take it to a dealer (100 miles one way) they will replace the placard. i'll get this done next time I am close to a dealer. a, I have verified the rims and they are 110 psi.

You should have the full DOT S/N for each tire recorded with the info kept with other important documents. With this info in hand you can easily check against any recall list as tire recalls are always based on the DOT serial number.
I suggest you pick a nice day to record each number. They may or may not all have same number as tires are made in batches of a hundred to 1,000. You may find some tires have the full serial (including the date code portion) on the inside so you might need a flash light or even have to move the RV to get the number fully visible.

Note there is no O or Q but do have the number zero. Also no i but do have the number 1

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #32

Thanks already done. Been in Tire sales and industry for over 40 years but I really appreciate the comments and suggestions

Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbob54 View Post
No its the other way . It shows that is supposed to have 14 ply 2358516 load range get tires. Came with 2358016 e rated
OK then that ABSOLUTELY would require a recall to replace tires.
When FR refused did you ask them to put something in writing that the LR-E tires were able to support the same load as the LR-G tires?

This would be like a car company telling you the car was a 300 HP V8 but only giving you a 200 HP V6.

I would contact FR again and get the name of anyone you talk with (dealer and or MFG)
Try email too.

The placard indicated the GAWR and BY LAW the tires must be capable of supporting the published GAWR. Be sure to get good pictures of the placard.

Let me know if you need chapter and verse of the Federal Regulations.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 08-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
General info on recalls.

If your RV is under a recall you are suppose to receive information in the mail from RV company (if you are original owner) After a RV is re-sold then the RV dealer should file the appropriate perwork but IMO that seldom happens.

You can go to NHTSA web site and do search to see if your vehicle or tires or other components are under recall.

RE tires. All tires are suppose to be registered by selling dealer. When on new RV that would be the RV dealer responsibility. If you buy tires then the tire dealer is suppose to do that.

You can learn more about tire registration in my blog post on the topic.
More info here...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/574.10
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i'm not totally sure about the dates listed. we picked up our cardinal in march of 2015 (prior to the dates listed in this thread). the placard says load range e, inflate to 80 psi. the actual tires on the trailer are goodyear g614's load range g, inflate to 110 psi. I contacted forest river and they said the g614's were an optional item when the trailer was ordered. so what should the tire placard state, the standard tire (80 psi) or the optional tires that were installed (110 psi)? anyway, forest river said that if I take it to a dealer (100 miles one way) they will replace the placard. i'll get this done next time I am close to a dealer. a, I have verified the rims and they are 110 psi.
The standard for this type of situation clearly states that the trailer's certification label tire size MUST match the actual tire size installed at the time of first sale. If a dealer installed optional sized tires after the papers were signed their installer should have installed an auxiliary tire placard adjacent to the original tire placard with the optional tire size and it's recommended inflation pressure.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #36

Forest River is always having trouble trying to figure out how they built their units so they can certify them properly. Here are a few examples.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...est-river.html
Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

Air... Thanks for the link. Wonder what would happen if folks printed out the page from the law site and gave it to their RV dealer and asked if they follow the law?
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Forest River is always having trouble trying to figure out how they built their units so they can certify them properly. Here are a few examples.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...est-river.html

The "Fix" in many cases is just a new certification label. While I don't know the number of pounds the label was wrong, in all cases the owner was led to believe the RV had a certain capacity and now discovers it can't carry the load he was originally told.

If you bought 1500# of something (load capacity of a trailer) and later were told the capacity was actually only 1350# but all the dealer was going to do was put a new sticker on the trailer I see no reason to accept the new sticker as the "fix".

Bet the dealer would not be willing to accept a new check to pay for the RV with your excuse being you simply wrote the wrong number on the original check.

I really do not understand how this does not fall under "false advertising" laws in the various states where the RVs were sold.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 08-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You should have the full DOT S/N for each tire recorded with the info kept with other important documents. With this info in hand you can easily check against any recall list as tire recalls are always based on the DOT serial number.
I suggest you pick a nice day to record each number. They may or may not all have same number as tires are made in batches of a hundred to 1,000. You may find some tires have the full serial (including the date code portion) on the inside so you might need a flash light or even have to move the RV to get the number fully visible.

Note there is no O or Q but do have the number zero. Also no i but do have the number 1
So what's the 3rd digit? A Chinese M?

BTW...that's a 19837 mile Trail Express! Well documented.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dot.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	118621  
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
So what's the 3rd digit? A Chinese M?

BTW...that's a 19837 mile Trail Express! Well documented.
1K is Doublestar but they don't seem to have ST tires.

http://doublestar-dongfeng.en.made-in-china.com/

Tags
recall, tire