Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
What the US RV industry needs is competition from companies that understand real vehicle engineering an build quality.

Detroit got its clock cleaned when Toyota, Honda etc came in with vehicles with good quality.
Maybe the Koreans can come to the US market and do the same for "Elkhart"

Today you can buy cars with 3 - 10 year warranty on various components. You do not have to take your Ford to Dearborn or your Honda to Marysville, OH etc to get a problem fixed. IMO the RV companies are banking on the idea that few owners will use their RV more than 3 months in the first year and if there is a problem then the dealer may simply be too busy to do the work in a reasonable time.

Would you tolerate leaving your car at a dealership for 4 weeks, and have no replacement vehicle offered, while a part is ordered?

The argument that an RV is a House on wheels just doesn't fly. How can every car sold in the US today have at least 3 year coverage on the 12v electric system but you can't more than a few months out of the 12v system in your RV?
Look at the quality of the wiring and connectors. I have seen some parts at Harbor Freight that look better than what I have found hidden behind panels in my motorhomes.
This is a very interesting post that you have just laid out. I agree with what you have said. It is a shame that we as consumers are at there beckon ways. I also agree with your statement about what causes blowouts and belts breaking in the tires at the bead of the rim that is just rotting out. We can not see that when we inspect our tires yet people still believe that the only thing that will break a belt is co called curbing or over loading. The question is that how do we as consumers stop this from letting RV manufacturers continue with there ways. We all spend good money on our RV's I do not know of to many people who do not do there best to maintain there RV's. Yet it it seems we all still have the same problems that has been posted on this forum for as long as I have been on it. When I was at a factory tour 3 years ago the question was asked about the tires just one of many. FR answer was that if we offered a upgraded tire that would say they are not putting the best tire on. That same sentiment also go's for everything else you pointed out. They just will not change unless they can't sell RV's and people are flocking to buy them. So what is the answer, I really do not know. It is just not FR alone it is all manufactures no matter if it's a provost or a FR. Thanks for taking your time and being on this forum, I know I have learned a ton from you and also our members..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #22

I wonder if Warren Buffet ever even looks at this business (Forest River) besides what was the profit last quarter.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
This is a very interesting post that you have just laid out. I agree with what you have said. It is a shame that we as consumers are at there beckon ways. I also agree with your statement about what causes blowouts and belts breaking in the tires at the bead of the rim that is just rotting out. We can not see that when we inspect our tires yet people still believe that the only thing that will break a belt is co called curbing or over loading. The question is that how do we as consumers stop this from letting RV manufacturers continue with there ways. We all spend good money on our RV's I do not know of to many people who do not do there best to maintain there RV's. Yet it it seems we all still have the same problems that has been posted on this forum for as long as I have been on it. When I was at a factory tour 3 years ago the question was asked about the tires just one of many. FR answer was that if we offered a upgraded tire that would say they are not putting the best tire on. That same sentiment also go's for everything else you pointed out. They just will not change unless they can't sell RV's and people are flocking to buy them. So what is the answer, I really do not know. It is just not FR alone it is all manufactures no matter if it's a provost or a FR. Thanks for taking your time and being on this forum, I know I have learned a ton from you and also our members..
Try this question to the RV company. Why don't you apply tires that have at least a three year warranty as you get on your passenger car? Related is why his company can't offer a 12v system good for more than a few thousand miles while car companies can cover their 12v systen for 36 to 50,000 miles.
The use of the "We would get blamed" doesn't fly when you look at options on pick-up trucks. Why do they offer HD packages or extra cooling packages.
I would challenge the RV guy telling you this if he ever bought a new car and looked to see if there were any options other than color.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

Sorry to hear about your incident. After reading about Sailuns in the forum, I did a bit of checking. Seems Sailun is a house brand for TBC. As an ole buyer, just wonder who manufactures them and controls the quality?
We are running Goodyear G 116 index. Although, we have only a bit over 8k miles on them. We run 115lbs of air pressure in them.

Hope all turns out well for y'all!
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilhite View Post
Sorry to hear about your incident. After reading about Sailuns in the forum, I did a bit of checking. Seems Sailun is a house brand for TBC. As an ole buyer, just wonder who manufactures them and controls the quality?
We are running Goodyear G 116 index. Although, we have only a bit over 8k miles on them. We run 115lbs of air pressure in them.

Hope all turns out well for y'all!
More accurately TBC is the US distributor for Sailun Tire Co

One thing that is a definite plus for me as tire QA engineer, they are ISO9001 Quality Management System Certification, ISO14001 Certificate of Environmental Management System, ISO/TS16949 Certificate, Certificate for China Compulsory Product Certification, EU ECE certificate, US DOT certificate, INMETRO certificate of Brazil, SIRIM certificate of Malaysi.

There may be other tire companies that are ISO9001 certified but the only brands on the major car companies are from companies that are ISO9001.

No ISO no sales to "Detroit"

If anyone knows of other ISO cert brands from China it would be interesting to see a list. I also note that Sailun puts their name on their tires while many/most of the "container babies" on TT do not put the name of the producing tire company on their tires.

Wonder why they don't put their name on the tires?????
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 06-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #26

Quote:
More accurately TBC is the US distributor for Sailun Tire Co

One thing that is a definite plus for me as tire QA engineer, they are ISO9001 Quality Management System Certification, ISO14001 Certificate of Environmental Management System, ISO/TS16949 Certificate, Certificate for China Compulsory Product Certification, EU ECE certificate, US DOT certificate, INMETRO certificate of Brazil, SIRIM certificate of Malaysi.

There may be other tire companies that are ISO9001 certified but the only brands on the major car companies are from companies that are ISO9001.

No ISO no sales to "Detroit"

If anyone knows of other ISO cert brands from China it would be interesting to see a list. I also note that Sailun puts their name on their tires while many/most of the "container babies" on TT do not put the name of the producing tire company on their tires.

Wonder why they don't put their name on the tires?????

Hello Tireman

Great thoughts shared!

I worked for an automotive brake manufacturer with facilities in China. Simply said, any certification can be purchased. And as for Detroit, "recalls". Need I say more about quality systems in Detroit? Further, you would be amazed at part failures that do not rise to the level of recall.

Like anything, you must rely on a solid foundation of mission with steadfast leadership of great caring people!
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilhite View Post
Hello Tireman

Great thoughts shared!

I worked for an automotive brake manufacturer with facilities in China. Simply said, any certification can be purchased. And as for Detroit, "recalls". Need I say more about quality systems in Detroit? Further, you would be amazed at part failures that do not rise to the level of recall.

Like anything, you must rely on a solid foundation of mission with steadfast leadership of great caring people!

In theory ISO cert is checked by "super auditors" from LLoyds. Not saying it can't be "bought" but having worked on both sides (internal and external auditor) it was real for the tire companies here in the US and would be surprised if non-us suppliers didn't have to prove themselvs to "Detroit" also.

Plus warranty returns are followed very closely by Detroit. I had twice annual review with GM going over individual parts with GM management. We had to explain and if issue was our fault we had to pay for replacement as the associated warranty costs which were more than the cost of the part so this audit was taken very seriously as it would affect future contracts.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #28

Yes, in theory ISO looks pretty good. I worked with a company that was getting ISO certification and half way through the process they changed their mind. Everyone agreed it followed the concept of "it's not what you do, it's what you put in writing". The feeling was the process of documentation was so cumbersome it would take away efforts to continue producing a quality product.

But, ISO created a giant cash cow for the folks who started the concept. Probably European.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #29

I don't know a lot about the certification for the Sailun tires. I do know what I have observed.
In our traveling work group. The majority of the heavy ( over 15000 gvwr) 5ers are riding on Sailun S637s. We travel approximately 18-20000 miles a year. We have had no problems with the Sailun brand.
As long as you take care of them. Don't over inflate, under inflate, curb or abuse them.
We ran our last set 5 years. They never gave a bit of trouble.
I don't really care where they were made. All I know is they get the job done.
DW, 2 Spoiled Beagles IZZY and Pup Pup,
And Hillbilly Bob an American Bobtail Rescue Cat.
Seeing America one jobsite at a time..
Leonandpandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #30

[QUOTE=Tireman9;1221250]

[QUOTE]

Welcom to Maxxis Global

http://www.made-in-china.com/manufac...ake-tires.html
Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Yes, in theory ISO looks pretty good. I worked with a company that was getting ISO certification and half way through the process they changed their mind. Everyone agreed it followed the concept of "it's not what you do, it's what you put in writing". The feeling was the process of documentation was so cumbersome it would take away efforts to continue producing a quality product.

But, ISO created a giant cash cow for the folks who started the concept. Probably European.

You are correct that in 2001 the focus was on documentation in QS9000. As I understand it the idea was that if you didn't have a written "Standard Practice" policy of what and how the job was to be done how could you expect to do a consistent job.
By 2005 with ISO8991, this had changed so there was much less focus on documentation and more on consistent results.

I do have to say that the documentation at Coachmen in 2007 & 2015 on electric wiring in the Freelander Class-C was not much better than something written on back of napkin. No wire color coding, only a few lines identified by gauge. The reality in both of my coaches was no where near what was shown on the drawing. Some wires were simply not shown on the drawing and others were shown on drawing but not in the coach. Plumbing drawing is worse. Some parts like water pump are installed before bathroom floor layed down leaving about 2" for your hand and screwdriver to get to hidden screws holding pump to sub floor. How about electrical tape used around pex water line at a fitting?
My list goes on and on. There were even instances where FR could have saved some $ by having low point drains a bit shorter and not end up draining on electric connections under the coach.

Good quality is a culture and has to be based on real commitment from top down.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #32

Maxxis heavy duty are a good tire
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
In theory ISO cert is checked by "super auditors" from LLoyds. Not saying it can't be "bought" but having worked on both sides (internal and external auditor) it was real for the tire companies here in the US and would be surprised if non-us suppliers didn't have to prove themselvs to "Detroit" also...
I was an ISO auditor for Lockheed Martin for 10 yrs and the ISO standards only require the mfg to follow procedures, they do not dictate ingredients or products.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires