Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

Tires American made or ?????

For all out there that think Goodyear is made in America I only have one thing to say and that is BULL. I just took off my Goodyear Marathons that cost twice as much as the Chinese tires and to my surprise there it was "MADE IN CHINA" in about the smallest letters I've ever seen. So beware of what you think is made in America!!!!!!! Happy Camping
donabevd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donabevd View Post
For all out there that think Goodyear is made in America I only have one thing to say and that is BULL. I just took off my Goodyear Marathons that cost twice as much as the Chinese tires and to my surprise there it was "MADE IN CHINA" in about the smallest letters I've ever seen. So beware of what you think is made in America!!!!!!! Happy Camping
Yep, the Goodyear Marathon is made in China. The made in America tire from Goodyear which gets all the hype on here is the Goodyear Endurance. The tire is pretty new but seems to be taking the market with a vengeance. Jayco (and someone else on here said a couple of other manufacturers) have completely switched to Goodyear Endurance. I was told by a Jayco representative that they switched because of the problems with the 'China bombs'.

I have about 7000 miles on mine they have been great. I didn't even have to add air this spring.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...e-trailer-tire
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Over 10,000 miles on my AMERICAN MADE Goodyear Endurance tires and zero problems. I always check pressure before any trip (even check it after a single overnight while en route) and keep them right at 80 PSI.

They feel good towing and give a lot of peace of mind.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, this has been discussed several times, as the Endurance is American made, while the Marathons in later years were being produced in China. Goodyear has produced the marathon in different places in it's production history. The Marathon has been produced at Gadsden, Alabama at some time in it's history, which is where many of the Endurance tires are currently being produced. The Endurance is superseding the marathon.

Here are just a few samplings of recent posts:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2039268

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2003679

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1997964

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1887502

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1642959

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

Nothing new here

Quote:
Nothing new here. I had a 1970 Opel GT with German Goodyear tires that were out of round. The local Goodyear shop (Minnesota) refused to do anything about it. When they wore out (1972), I went to a shop near where I was stationed (El Paso) and they assured me the new German Goodyear tires were better, all problems had been fixed. Nevertheless I opted for General tires. While they were being installed, I talked to another owner in the shop (you were permitted to be in the shop in those days). He had a VW beetle and was back in the shop again because he had just gotten new...German Goodyear tires that were out of round.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
The Marathons were made in China , the Endurance in America. Both are excellent tires. I ran the Marathons 65000km (4000km of that on gravel road) and never had a single flat or blowout They DO however wear out 🌝 Put on a new set of Endurance last fall and expecting good service from them also.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #7

Tire companies will make tires in plants that have production capacity. They will even make different sizes of the same product line in different factories again depending on where they have production capacity.

TODAY the Goodyear Endurance tires are made in the US. Tomorrow some sizes could well be made in any one of the numerous factories Goodyear owns elsewhere in the world.

That's how the world of manufacturing works. The'll "build" where the costs are lowest taking into consideration labor, transportation, tariffs, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #8

And please don't forget the environment! Manufacturing tires is a very dirty business and it would cost a lot more in the US then some third world country. Have you ever seen the people wearing masks in China?
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
And please don't forget the environment! Manufacturing tires is a very dirty business and it would cost a lot more in the US then some third world country. Have you ever seen the people wearing masks in China?
What's so dirty about manufacturing tires? The mixing process for "rubber" doesn't create clouds of dust. Only need for burning fuel is to generate steam to heat the molds.

Perhaps you are confused with the re-treading process where the buffing of the carcass creates some smoke and rubber crumb. Both of which are dealt with using filters on the exhaust system in the plant.

Tires themselves present a disposal problem as the chemicals used to create the "rubber" are environmentally unfriendly and an old tire dumped in a swamp, etc, will remain there for a lifetime.

The problems aren't at the manufacturing end as much as during the life and disposal when worn out.

As for people in China wearing masks, they do so because the big cities in China have air so thick with pollutants you can chew it. They burn a lot of coal and the coal they have available is the nastiest that exists.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires