Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Is this thread about clear coat or gell coat? Most of the answers seem to address clear coat.

I know clear coat can peal if not maintained, but I am not aware that gell coat can peal! I do not believe Forest River puts a clear coat over its fiber glass walls that have a gell coat as the final coating.

I am guessing that the dealer sold someone weather proofing and it is now pealing!

Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
I can't believe some people are responding that the OP should have been waxing his camper to avoid the gel coat peeling. Good grief, that has nothing to do with such a problem.

If the gel coat is peeling, the factory did something wrong so that it did not adhere properly. They may have waited too long in between setting up the rough sheets and appying the gel coat. Regardless, it should never happen, no matter what conditions the camper experienced.

Unfortunately, as the camper is out of general warranty, I doubt that the factory would do anything. Does anyone know if the gel coat has a longer warranty period? My info is in my camper and I don't have the time to go check just now.

If the factory refuses to help, and there is no warranty, my advice would be to buy some lab mice and throw them in the camper with a good supply of crackers. Give it a month or so, and it should be good for a write-off.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
Most manufacturers warranty for one year. A few have a two year warranty. FR is one year with a second year available for a fee, but it must be purchased at the same time you purchase the RV.

Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote

paint peeling