Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Top Gel Coat Peeling

I have a 2007 Cardinal Fith Wheel and the top gel coat is peeling. It looks really bad and is getting worse. Has anyone else have this problem? How do I go about getting it fixed. I know it is a manufacture defect. I paid about $80,000 for this trailer and still owe $35000 and it looks horrible. I feel like I own a piece of junk. I take very good care of my stuff and I want it to look nice. If you could please help with any info, I would appreciate this!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

I have a 2010 with fiberglass sides and full body paint, so I may not have the same finish as you do. That said, I recommend you call Forest River and ask their opinion. If you do not have the telephone number go to the Cardinal Club forums.

Let me know how things work out for you.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Wash and wax.
Honestly there are all sorts of threads concerning dull finishes. Look up redmax or polyglow. Or spend hours cleaning and waxing. How much yime have you spent on outside maintenance a year on this trailer?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #4

Eighty Thousand Dollars, is that a typo????

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

the sun is the culprit for the gell coat to peel. You have the same problems on some cars hoods and roofs. It is important to keep the finish waxed on a scedule time to prevent this problems.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobb View Post
I have a 2007 Cardinal Fith Wheel and the top gel coat is peeling. It looks really bad and is getting worse. Has anyone else have this problem? How do I go about getting it fixed. I know it is a manufacture defect. I paid about $80,000 for this trailer and still owe $35000 and it looks horrible. I feel like I own a piece of junk. I take very good care of my stuff and I want it to look nice. If you could please help with any info, I would appreciate this!
Please come on over to the "Cardinal owners club" site...and we can get some specific info for you, and help you contact the right person at Cardinal ..... .to help you out.

There may be many factors which can cause this , but the rig is 5 years old, so..............there may be limited resources avail .

The best thing to do is contact Cardinal, and discuss it with them.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #7

Mcobb setting in the sun, not using wax on the top gel coat etz should not cause the gel coat to Peel (mayby fade or lose its shine) If the gel coat is peeling you need to contact The Forest River Cardinal division it has to be a manufacturing defect
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
Eighty Thousand Dollars, is that a typo????
That is a List Price for a Loaded Cardinal..................you should be able to get .............20%, 30 % off of list.................unless you want it right now. And dont want to dicker. (I would dicker)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfast54 View Post
That is a List Price for a Loaded Cardinal..................you should be able to get .............20%, 30 % off of list.................unless you want it right now. And dont want to dicker. (I would dicker)
I looked on-line at some of the prices and couldn't believe it. I didn't realize that the MSRP was that high on the Cardinals... They must be very nice/plush units..

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

I have a Cardinal ...............that I 'Stole" a few years ago, sad but one of the owners passed away , I guess shortly after retiring????? So, they had it in a couple diff. places, and He got sick, a family member towed it back to Michigan, they cleaned it out, Put Dryer sheets in the outside cabinets, closed all the double blinds, and stored it for 3-4 years .(unclear how long.)It was for sale, but a large price.

But, a person at the campground where it was stored "Cared " for it for the past 3 years it was stored before she lowered the price, because she was tired of paying storage costs.

She put it on Craigs list, I saw it just after posting................owned it 3 days later. The interior, Solid wood floor in kitchen, oak interior, top end inside, every option was ordered when they bought it.................was just like new, the caretaker opened it up a couple times a year, I went inside, it still smelled "New".

I was lucky !!!!!!!!

Tags
paint peeling