Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Trailer hitch on 2016 Cardinal 5th wheel

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2016 Cardinal 3250RL, but I need a trailer hitch on it. I haven't seen any recent posts on this subject. Is a trailer hitch an option that is available from the factory? I did see some posts on a factory bike hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver, but that wouldn't work to pull my golf cart trailer. Dealer mentioned have a welding shop install a hitch but then you may have warranty issues with that. Everyone have a good day and Thanks.
Geldevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Before you do add a hitch for a golf cart, get with your department of motor vehicles regarding if it is LEGAL. Many people just "do it" out west where I saw many "double tows". It is a violation in many states east. You will get at the least a ticket or worse, make you unhook and single tow and go back for what you left behind. Remember, state roads are regulated by state highway departments and their rules apply to you in their state.
Police are supported by revenue from violations.
Saw you were new poster....just say'n be cautious!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Forgot: any frame mod will potentially void your mfgr warranty! If you read all of the issues folks have, NOT really A GREAT IDEA!
And while it would not necessarily void component warranties, heat, ac, refer, etc., the ramifications of fighting the factory over twisted frame or gel coat cracks due to stress could prove costly.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

If you are goimg to get acgolf cart look at Idaho tote l believe they can be used without any warranty issues
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply, in the Midwest it is allowed to pull small trailer behind 5th wheels but not behind travel trailers.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

My 2011 3450 RL came w a two inch receiver hitch rated for 3000 lbs and 300 lbs tongue weight. I tow a UTV that weighs 1300 and trailer weighs 600 no problems w camper but did have issues with utv trailer. I believe the length between the rear axle and the hitch causes what I call porpoising and resulted in the tongue of the utv trailer failing from all the extra up and down motion because of the added length between rear axle and trailer hitch. After adding some girth to my UTV trailer I have not had any more problems. I can send you pics of the factory hitch if needed. I added skid rollers to the hitch cross beam and do not have any issues with the set up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #7

Jacknife, the Idaho Tote looks like a nice setup, kind of spendy, but has very good reviews. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #8

Rugersdad, Please send pictures of your hitch on the Cardinal 3450RL. I did not know a 2" hitch was an option, hope it is still available. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

Idaho Tote

I actually saw one a year or so ago on our private resort in Georgia. We take Passport America for 3 nights and this couple was passing through. I SPOKE WITH HIM. He made a x country trip from Texas carrying the largest Idaho Tote with STUFF on the back of the biggest , non semi tractor and the most beautiful expensive 5er I had seen at the time.

He said he had over $12,000 in the Tote cost AND made many mods himself. He owns a metal fabricating company in Texas. He was about my age, 70. His wife was recovering from a huge cancer battle and they decided this was best for their comfort and bucket list dream.
I asked him about being legal. He said he had it inspected in Texas and because it BOLTED DIRECTLY vs HITCH he was "probably ok". In my previous post I did not mention this because there are FEW OF US willing to go this SPECIAL hook up route! I am sure he had in excess of $300,000 in this set up.
Just say'n! This post started by adding a simple hitch. I guess this is WHY there are PREVOSTS, CHARLESTON and I Pods! 😁
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldevik View Post
Jacknife, the Idaho Tote looks like a nice setup, kind of spendy, but has very good reviews. Thanks for the info.

Geldevik I have pics of my hitch I need your email and I will send the photos! Kyle.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #11

Rugersdad,

please PM me.

Thank you
Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #12

Could not find the PM feature so I will send to email.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #13

Ive seen everything up to a Jeep being pulled behind a fiver. If you have a competent fabricator build your hitch you should be fine within reason. Check with your manufacturer they may offer a hitch as an accessory. I wouldn't be concerned about the frame warranty. It's only for one year anyway. JMHO
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about the frame warranty. It's only for one year anyway. JMHO
The frame has its own separate warranty.
Usually it's 5 or 6 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The frame has its own separate warranty.
Usually it's 5 or 6 years.
I've never seen that. I'm sure Lippert who builds about 90% of the frames has only a one year warranty..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #16

I installed a 2in hitch receiver(custom made n over kill) on my Jaco and will do the same on my Wildcat later in the spring.I pulled all over Ohio as well as several years to Lake D'Arbonne,La.In Ohio as well as most stats that a person can pull doubles you must have breaks all trailers.Cross the chains ect and be sure to pretrip and post trip as well as at any other stop Check your rig out. I carry a bat to check tires and to push the boat back if it comes around and wants to pass me . If you have a school or any large parking lot close by pull in there and practice turns,you'll be surprised at how tight it will turn. I had a peak back up camera on it and will put another one on the Wildcat and have put them on several other fifth wheels as well.

Tags
5th wheel, cardinal, hitch, trailer, wheel