Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Trying to upgrade Goodyear Marathons

Today, 07:16 PM
Not sure if I should start a new topic but I'm having issues with Forest River and Goodyear regarding the OEM China bombs on my 2015 Cardial 3580 RL
GAW 6840. Tires: Marathon ST235/80r16
My rims will handle the pressure of an ST235/85r16 like the good year G614

I very familiar with the concept of weight/ correct psi etc. I also understand that not all of the GVW is on the axels a portion going to the truck/hitch

I have attempted with no luck trying to get my warranty rep from Forest Ruver or Goodyear to understand that I truly don't want the hassle,,,,expense ,,,,or even worse possible injury due to a blow out on the crappy marathons that it came with.

Tires have ALWAYS been at correct pressure and veh was weighed to include end axel weight and has ALWAYS been under gross.

I'm curious how many of the China bomb blowouts have happened with correct settings?

My rep from the factory tried to get me to believe that the percentage of this tire on the road that have had issues is low. What do you all think? He even went so far to say that the forums are just full of complainers.

I looked at the Ceder Creek version of my 5er. Everything the same on the federal sticker EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING
Now they have gone to true 7000lb axels and have the G614 St235/85r16.
This would lead me to believe that they found there was a problem and so the newer models have the better axel. Also the GVW of the Ceder Creek was little over 200lb more than my Cardinal.

I would be more than happy to pay the difference for the better tires. My marathons only have 2 short trips on them. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I spend big money on new tires even though mine a pretty much new?
Walking thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

I honestly do believe that the number of tire issues is vastly low compared to the number of people who complain about them.

I think that using forums as a gauge of normalcy vs. problems is a skewed universe. People often come to problems solely because they have issues (though, I wouldn't call them complainers).
Old 01-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #3

I replaced my Marathons with Mich rib LTs they weighed about 20lb more each then the Marathons. I never had one blow out nut l didn't have them long enough to find out. There are a couple of St brands that a good and not as expensive as the 14s One starts with an S and the other an M. Can't remember the names but the S one tou can get in a G rating much cheaper then the goodyears.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I honestly do believe that the number of tire issues is vastly low compared to the number of people who complain about them.

I think that using forums as a gauge of normalcy vs. problems is a skewed universe. People often come to problems solely because they have issues (though, I wouldn't call them complainers).
X2
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Quote:

X3

Many people switch to Goodyear Marathons as being a quality tire. There is no perfect brand or type tire. Road hazards are many times the cause of a blow out but tire quality is blamed.

I have never heard anyone call Goodyear Marathons China bombs till now Sorry

I do agree with the factory rep. the percentage of blow outs is low esp with the Marathons. I currently have 5 trailers that have "China bombs" on them and have not to date had a blow out on any of them............ If you are near by would love to have your Marathons..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking thunder View Post

I would be more than happy to pay the difference for the better tires. My marathons only have 2 short trips on them. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I spend big money on new tires even though mine a pretty much new?
I would consider the Marathons a significant upgrade over most of the OEM tires. You didn't say that you had had a blowout or other issue with the original tires. Assuming there were no failures, I don't think its reasonable to expect the manufacturer to take back your slightly used tires and give you LT's for the difference. If this was a concern, it should have been negotiated into the sale before taking delivery from the dealer.

I had some issues with our Trail Express OEM tires and FR warrantied one of them, but the replacement was another "China Bomb." The dealer was good about getting it approved, but they said they weren't sure it would get approved when I originally brought it in. They also claimed OEM tire issues were rare as well. I ended up running the OEM tires for 2 seasons and replacing them with much better (IMO) LT tires before I had any more failures.

I agree that it would be really nice if FR and other manufacturers offered better tires as a factory option, but it seems to be pretty limited as far as brands that come with LT's or offer an optional upgrade.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:

X4

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:

X5

I have been running the OEM tires since 09 on 3 different trailers and running orientals for a lot longer on equipment trailers, not many issues at all.

The last person I want to defend are the RV manufacturers though, so I qualify that as this was on a popup and 2 hybrids, where the LRC tires had spare capacity in relation to trailer weight.

I do believe that using tires right at the legal limit is not good and causes some issues but I don't think its as huge an issue as found in these RV and camping forums. I'd like to know the actual percentage of failures compared to the millions of tires that leave Indiana, and it is millions.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

I just replaced (at my cost) my china Bombs! See my thread "China Bombs bite the dust". FYI----I want with MAXXIS tires after a lot of investigation.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

X6

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

If you plan to keep it for a long time, then consider biting the bullet, swap for 8K axle assemblies, add disc brakes and 17.5 inch tires and wheels. If this is a short term rig, then swap to either Salune ST tires or Michelin XPS Ribs.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #12

The irony with Maxxis tires are that the are "China bombs". Maxxis is a brand name for Cheng Shin Rubber Co.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #13

RE: Goodyear Marathons

I had a Jayco Designer that came with the marathons. In less than 5 years and 47,000 miles I put 8 new marathons on that Jayco. 6 of the 8 were replaced due to belt separation; 1 went flat due to belt separation; and 1 blew out. They are just plan junk to me. On the bright side Goodyear always prorated the cost of the tire(s) so I was never out the total cost of replacement(s). I swore I would never have another 5th wheel that did not have G rated tires, I don't care if it just weighed 8,000 lbs. Just my 2 cents worth.
Kayak30336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to redjet
I have a 2016 Cardinal and immediately changed the tires to the Goodyear G614 RST. There are no guarantees that the 614s won't give me a problem but I spend a lot of time in the RV and camp with folks from all over the country. They have had problems with all types of the China tires (including the Marathons) and have changed to the 614s and the blowouts seem to disappear. According to the code on my 614s they are made in Olathe, Kansas.

Forest River will not acknowledge any problems. I also approached them with the support of my selling dealer. So for my piece of mind - I changed. We have too much $$$ invested to use a poor quality tire.

The Marathons removed from my RV are setting at the Dealers store on consignment.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2020 Ford F150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Lariat - 4X4
2018 Club Car - Gas - Lifted
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
You didn't say that you had had a blowout or other issue with the original tires. Assuming there were no failures, I don't think its reasonable to expect the manufacturer to take back your slightly used tires and give you LT's for the difference. If this was a concern, it should have been negotiated into the sale before taking delivery from the dealer.

I agree. I have reread the OP a couple of times and can't figure out if they have had a blow out or are trying to stave one off.

If agree that if it is the latter, that expecting a warranty claim to be approved for better tires is an unreasonable expectation.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #16

By reading the many other threads here on FRF, I can't call Goodyears very reliable tires; seems as though I remember reading about as many problems with the G/Y's as with all the others, but I could be wrong about that. I've had 4 TT's & ran the OEM tires with no failures; (hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that). I just try to take care of them & hope for the best. Best thing to do is what makes you the most comfortable; there probably isn't a correct answer to the ongoing tire delima.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #17

Although I suspect you'll have one or more blowouts with the cheap tires within three years, I would agree the factory is not responsible to upgrade the tires after you accepted the FW. You had an opportunity to complain at delivery and I presume you didn't.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

My Cardinal came with Goodyear Marathons and on a single trip of about 3000 total miles, 3 of them blew. No, I did not run over anything, did not drive over 65mph, and kept the tire pressure right on the money. I bought replacements to get home and my local tire dealer( who at one time managed a Goodyear shop) checked the remaining tires and found the steel belts were separating and he had seen the problem many times before. I bought B.F Goodrich LT tires, end of problem. If someone wanted to give me a set of Marathons, I would not take them. Good luck
bounj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #19

For the repliers that think the Goodyear Marabomb failures are vastly overstated ... perhaps true if you tote around a 6000 - 7000# RV. For those of us that pull in the 12K+ range, they are a nightmare waiting to happen as these tires are just not up to the load ... period. I got rid of mine on my own dime as peace of mind is priceless. Mine SOB (12K+) Marabombs had bumps, bulges, and tread separation within 4000 miles and I religiously checked air pressure, axle weight, and kept road speed 65 and under. I've had dozens of acquaintances in my Keystone days that had fiver damage due to Marabomb tires failing in multiple ways. Some refused delivery until an alternate tire was swapped out. Several went with G614's ... I was light enough to go with Michelin LT tires. The old Marabombs went to tire graveyards or were sold to farmers who use them on their slow moving implement trailers used around the farm. I know I'm just blowing hot air in many of your minds, but with the heavier RV's you're definitely living on borrowed time running the Marabombs. There's to many of us to simply discount the issue.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 PM   #20

I asked this on an earlier tire thread & thought I would ask again because this thread is getting a lot of attention. My local tire dealer highly recommends Duro tires. Any one here with any experience with them? He says he sees little or no problems with them. I have no idea where they are made, but have researched them some on-line. They seem to get pretty good reviews. Interested in what all of you have to say.