Old 01-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #31

What happened to the OP? Did we scare him off?

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #32

Just replaced my Marathons with G614s after an interstate blowout and body damage on my 2016 Cardinal. Too little too late but I'll go down the road with a lot more confidence now.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #33

That's the truth. Right on brother.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #34

Goodyear Marathon ST 235 80/R16 -3 blown tires

We can absolutely guarantee the Goodyear Marathon tire sounds like a bomb when it explodes and does extensive damage. August 8, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. The first tire exploded northbound hwy5 Central CA at Sullivan Rd. It damaged the hydraulic line and the wheel well and entire lower left side back to the rear. Temporary patched the hydraulic line and changed out tire with spare. On the road, Approx 20-30 miles at Fink Rd. Second tire blew. We thought must have been damaged by the first. Eppler towing sent someone out with two new tires, changed out and on the road. Made it to Lake Tahoe.
9/15/16 On the way home at Kern Co line another tire blew this time on the right. We had Castro tire replace both tires so we could get home. We did not want to take a chance on the fourth tire.
The three tires that blew all had a build date of 4713 the 4th is 0614. We have the tires or what's left of them in our garage. Monday morning we are contacting Goodyear and Forest River.
Before we left home alltires were checked and had proper inflation. I'm the daughter of a mechanic and I always check before we go anywhere!
We have a Cardinal 2015 3850rl.
We want to upgrade to G rated tires. I will never feel comfortable traveling again with the size tires on it now. Roadside service had RoadKing and the other had Freedom. We had to take what was available. Even though these tires are new I don't trust them.
What is the best 14 ply tire for max GVW 1680 and do you know if these wheels are rated for the 235 85r16. If the Goodyear G 614 a good tire?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #35
bigdaddy1

I ordered mine with the G614s....USA stamped on the side! Pulled many miles with G614s on my 07 Cardinal so did not hesitate.

2016 3850RL Cardinal
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #36

I changed the tires on my 2702ss Rockwood after 1 year. The tires that came on it were Chinese no name tires. I noticed on my TPMS during my first year that one tire was always running hotter than the rest. After changing to Carlisle Trail radials I am seeing consistent temps across all 4 tires, they also hold pressure a lot better. Knowing that the manufacturers are going to use the cheapest tire available and a change out cost $350 I figured it was well worth it. The Carlisle's have been good so far.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #37

G614s

It only took one bomb blowout for me to buy 4 new G614s. You have to look inside your rim to see the stamped psi rating. The 614s require a 110psi rim. Luckily mine were. Goodyear required me to send them the tire which was done at a Goodyear store. Still haven't got my estimate on the body damage but that's all that's left to file my claim with Goodyear. I'm hoping they stand behind their tire and eventually reimburse me for the body damage and tire. I'll post the outcome when something happens, probably in a couple of months.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistye View Post
We can absolutely guarantee the Goodyear Marathon tire sounds like a bomb when it explodes and does extensive damage. August 8, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. The first tire exploded northbound hwy5 Central CA at Sullivan Rd. It damaged the hydraulic line and the wheel well and entire lower left side back to the rear. Temporary patched the hydraulic line and changed out tire with spare. On the road, Approx 20-30 miles at Fink Rd. Second tire blew. We thought must have been damaged by the first. Eppler towing sent someone out with two new tires, changed out and on the road. Made it to Lake Tahoe.
9/15/16 On the way home at Kern Co line another tire blew this time on the right. We had Castro tire replace both tires so we could get home. We did not want to take a chance on the fourth tire.
The three tires that blew all had a build date of 4713 the 4th is 0614. We have the tires or what's left of them in our garage. Monday morning we are contacting Goodyear and Forest River.
Before we left home alltires were checked and had proper inflation. I'm the daughter of a mechanic and I always check before we go anywhere!
We have a Cardinal 2015 3850rl.
We want to upgrade to G rated tires. I will never feel comfortable traveling again with the size tires on it now. Roadside service had RoadKing and the other had Freedom. We had to take what was available. Even though these tires are new I don't trust them.
What is the best 14 ply tire for max GVW 1680 and do you know if these wheels are rated for the 235 85r16. If the Goodyear G 614 a good tire?

Hi Mistye,

Your Cardinal should have come with the Tredit T09 rim. If it did then you're good to go for putting a set of G614's on. The G614 is now an option that can be ordered on the Cardinal trailers.

Here is a picture of the T09 wheel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474170958.881273.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	120501

Feel free to PM if you have any questions. I did this same upgrade last year.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #39

Goodyear Marathon Upgrade

I'm new at this forum. I think I attached the photo of our first blow out of the three. It shows some of the damage to the wheel, RV and jack. For some reason the picture transferred upside down. Thank you for your help. We are going with the G614's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	120503  
Old 09-18-2016, 01:27 AM   #40

Trying to upgrade Goodyear Marathons

You do have the T09 wheel. You can order a replacement from tredittire.com. You'll be much happier with the G614's. When you switch over make sure you get metal high pressure valve stems installed on your wheels. If all 3 of your blowout wheels are damaged then you might consider just ordering new wheels and tires from trailertiresandwheels.com.