Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistye View Post
We can absolutely guarantee the Goodyear Marathon tire sounds like a bomb when it explodes and does extensive damage. August 8, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. The first tire exploded northbound hwy5 Central CA at Sullivan Rd. It damaged the hydraulic line and the wheel well and entire lower left side back to the rear. Temporary patched the hydraulic line and changed out tire with spare. On the road, Approx 20-30 miles at Fink Rd. Second tire blew. We thought must have been damaged by the first. Eppler towing sent someone out with two new tires, changed out and on the road. Made it to Lake Tahoe.
9/15/16 On the way home at Kern Co line another tire blew this time on the right. We had Castro tire replace both tires so we could get home. We did not want to take a chance on the fourth tire.
The three tires that blew all had a build date of 4713 the 4th is 0614. We have the tires or what's left of them in our garage. Monday morning we are contacting Goodyear and Forest River.
Before we left home alltires were checked and had proper inflation. I'm the daughter of a mechanic and I always check before we go anywhere!
We have a Cardinal 2015 3850rl.
We want to upgrade to G rated tires. I will never feel comfortable traveling again with the size tires on it now. Roadside service had RoadKing and the other had Freedom. We had to take what was available. Even though these tires are new I don't trust them.
What is the best 14 ply tire for max GVW 1680 and do you know if these wheels are rated for the 235 85r16. If the Goodyear G 614 a good tire?
That was the build date on the marathons that failed on my blue ridge, goodyear only covered 2 of the tires because the the 2 that blew were shredded and they couldn't determine the cause of failure. Upgraded to samson g14

Old 09-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #42

Saliun makes a excellant 14 ply tire. Less costly then the GY . Have never read a negative post on these tires.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #43

Send a message via MSN to redjet
I own a 2016 cardinal 3850RL and it has 7000# axles with a dry weight of 14000#. It also came with Marathon tires. As you, I was not happy with the tires and with the support of my dealer sent Forest river a mathematical analysis of the trailer weight distribution requesting they reimbursement me for upgrading to Goodyear G614s. Their reply was a phone call to me (not in writing) that their engineers found the tires to be satisfactory.

I purchased the tires through Discount tire direct and had a local discount tire install them. After selling the 5 original tires on craigs list, my cost was about $1000 for the 5 new tires. If you look up the G614s cost as an upgrade, my price was a real deal.

In late 2016 FR came out with the ESTATE model. Added a third AC, 8000# axles and Goodyear G614 tires - plus some other minor items. The part that pisses me off is the the 3850RL estate dry weight is 14000#. They found it necessary to increase both the axle weight and tire capacity and justified it with a "upgrade version".

Bottom line is I'm glad I changed the tires if only for piece of mind.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2015 Ford F250 - 6.7L - King Ranch - 4X4 - Air Lift 5000/ wireless air
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #44

I too have a 2017 3850RL, which has the 3 A/C's, stacked washer/dryer, but is NOT the estate edition. I opted for the G614's at order time, as it would have come with the marathons too. My dry weight came in at ~14400, GVWR ~16255. I wish I had the option of the Estate Edition at time of order(mine was already in progress) for the upgraded axles, upgraded Mor/Ryde suspension, and the disc brakes, not to mention the alternative full body paint scheme too.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #45

Red jet: your confidence in the G614's is spot on. For LIGHTER axle weights; Discount Tires recommends Maxxis. There is a reason: PERFORMANCE.

I applaud you for taking the shot at Forest River but it's almost comical to expect any other response than received. The contingent financial liability would be STAGGERING!

My 2015 Silverback JUST came back from the factory with CONSTANCY tires. I was ready to put Maxxis on mine at the point in time when I had an issue. Mine has a lighter axle of course. 12 to 15 months from now on goes the Maxxis and off goes the Constancy.

I just went to a smaller RV show in Atlanta. THOR is doing the same thing. That's the world we live in today. BUY AND REPLACE.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #46
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking thunder View Post
Today, 07:16 PM
Not sure if I should start a new topic but I'm having issues with Forest River and Goodyear regarding the OEM China bombs on my 2015 Cardial 3580 RL
GAW 6840. Tires: Marathon ST235/80r16
My rims will handle the pressure of an ST235/85r16 like the good year G614

I looked at the Ceder Creek version of my 5er. Everything the same on the federal sticker EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING
Now they have gone to true 7000lb axels and have the G614 St235/85r16.
This would lead me to believe that they found there was a problem and so the newer models have the better axel. Also the GVW of the Ceder Creek was little over 200lb more than my Cardinal.

I would be more than happy to pay the difference for the better tires. My marathons only have 2 short trips on them. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I spend big money on new tires even though mine a pretty much new?
You probably have 7,000 pound axles identical to the later model you looked at. The gross axle rating shown on the sticker is determined by the lesser of the actual axle rating or the combined load rating of the installed tires. Your Marathons are rated at 3,420 pounds each, so x2 gives you the 6,840 rating. Even if you had axles rated at 10,000 pounds the sticker will still say 6,840. The G614 is rated at 3,750 so an axle rated at 10k would be placarded at 7,500 GAWR with those tires installed.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #47

Send a message via MSN to redjet
I'm not sure what time of year that blow-outs occur most, but i would guess in the warmer months. Assume we are taking a trip and just before departure, we verify the tire pressure is set to specs (lets say 80 psi - marathon nos). We get on the highway and the temperature is 90 degrees. Obviously the road temp. will be higher and if the sun happens to be shining on a particular pair of tires this is additional heat source. I'm sure the pressure in the tire is somewhere above 80 psi at this point and beyond the tire rating.

Should tire pressure be checked on the road and reduced accordingly?? Perhaps this is a reason some tire failures. Just a thought.

2016 Cardinal 3850RL - 7/31/15
2015 Ford F250 - 6.7L - King Ranch - 4X4 - Air Lift 5000/ wireless air
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #48

Tire heat

YES, buy a tire monitoring system and USE IT. It will warn you of heat build up. You can set your limits and it will be your " eye on the road".

Conversely, rapid air loss will also be detected and alarm will sound. This MAY provide you the opportunity to make a safe driving decision quickly.
You can have a few seconds to move right and out of harms way.

Another great BENEFIT: every morning, before travel,
you can read your pressure/temps without crawling on your hands and knees. Sometimes trying to measure air with a hand guage allows air to escape. This creates another PROJECT. ( filling the tires).
Batteries do fail on these devices. Be sure to carry a few extra in your unit.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post

(snip)

Should tire pressure be checked on the road and reduced accordingly?? Perhaps this is a reason some tire failures. Just a thought.
No, the tire manufacturers take that into account when building the tires. That is why it says on the side wall xxx PSI COLD. Cold meaning that the tires are not warmed up from driving. My truck tires are aired up to 80PSI in the rears' cold and I monitor the pressure while travelling. Quite often they get up to mid-upper 80's while towing, and the next morning are back down to 80.

Here is a helpful discussion from Bridgestone tire manufacturer:

1. Start with Cold Tires if Possible
Vehicle manufacturers specify PSI – literally “pounds per square inch” of pressure – assuming tires are cold. Tires are considered cold when the vehicle has been parked for three hours or more, or if the vehicle has been driven less than a mile (1.6 km) at moderate speed. PSI is the unit your pressure gauge uses to provide readings.
5. Fill to the Recommended PSI

Use an air compressor to refill any tires with low pressure. Many air compressors are different, so read directions carefully to be sure you’re using it correctly.
If you’re using the air compressor at a gas station, be sure to park so that the hose will reach all four tires. Insert change into the machine until you hear the motor running. Fill each tire by placing the end of the hose over the valve stem and pressing on the lever.
Using a gas station air compressor means your tires might be “hot.” If it is necessary to adjust inflation pressure when tires are “hot”, set their pressure to 4 psi (14 kPa) above the recommended cold inflation pressure. Recheck the inflation pressure when the tires are cold.
After filling your tires, use the gauge to check pressure again. At this point, it’s ok if you overfilled the tires because you can always let some air back out. Never drive on overinflated tires. Overinflation can result in decreased traction, premature wear, and decreased impact absorption.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote