Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Trying to upgrade Goodyear Marathons

Today, 07:16 PM
Not sure if I should start a new topic but I'm having issues with Forest River and Goodyear regarding the OEM China bombs on my 2015 Cardial 3580 RL
GAW 6840. Tires: Marathon ST235/80r16
My rims will handle the pressure of an ST235/85r16 like the good year G614

I very familiar with the concept of weight/ correct psi etc. I also understand that not all of the GVW is on the axels a portion going to the truck/hitch

I have attempted with no luck trying to get my warranty rep from Forest Ruver or Goodyear to understand that I truly don't want the hassle,,,,expense ,,,,or even worse possible injury due to a blow out on the crappy marathons that it came with.

Tires have ALWAYS been at correct pressure and veh was weighed to include end axel weight and has ALWAYS been under gross.

I'm curious how many of the China bomb blowouts have happened with correct settings?

My rep from the factory tried to get me to believe that the percentage of this tire on the road that have had issues is low. What do you all think? He even went so far to say that the forums are just full of complainers.

I looked at the Ceder Creek version of my 5er. Everything the same on the federal sticker EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING
Now they have gone to true 7000lb axels and have the G614 St235/85r16.
This would lead me to believe that they found there was a problem and so the newer models have the better axel. Also the GVW of the Ceder Creek was little over 200lb more than my Cardinal.

I would be more than happy to pay the difference for the better tires. My marathons only have 2 short trips on them. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I spend big money on new tires even though mine a pretty much new?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #2

I honestly do believe that the number of tire issues is vastly low compared to the number of people who complain about them.

I think that using forums as a gauge of normalcy vs. problems is a skewed universe. People often come to problems solely because they have issues (though, I wouldn't call them complainers).

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #3

I replaced my Marathons with Mich rib LTs they weighed about 20lb more each then the Marathons. I never had one blow out nut l didn't have them long enough to find out. There are a couple of St brands that a good and not as expensive as the 14s One starts with an S and the other an M. Can't remember the names but the S one tou can get in a G rating much cheaper then the goodyears.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I honestly do believe that the number of tire issues is vastly low compared to the number of people who complain about them.

I think that using forums as a gauge of normalcy vs. problems is a skewed universe. People often come to problems solely because they have issues (though, I wouldn't call them complainers).
X2
Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Quote:

X3

Many people switch to Goodyear Marathons as being a quality tire. There is no perfect brand or type tire. Road hazards are many times the cause of a blow out but tire quality is blamed.

I have never heard anyone call Goodyear Marathons China bombs till now Sorry

I do agree with the factory rep. the percentage of blow outs is low esp with the Marathons. I currently have 5 trailers that have "China bombs" on them and have not to date had a blow out on any of them............ If you are near by would love to have your Marathons..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking thunder View Post

I would be more than happy to pay the difference for the better tires. My marathons only have 2 short trips on them. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do I spend big money on new tires even though mine a pretty much new?
I would consider the Marathons a significant upgrade over most of the OEM tires. You didn't say that you had had a blowout or other issue with the original tires. Assuming there were no failures, I don't think its reasonable to expect the manufacturer to take back your slightly used tires and give you LT's for the difference. If this was a concern, it should have been negotiated into the sale before taking delivery from the dealer.

I had some issues with our Trail Express OEM tires and FR warrantied one of them, but the replacement was another "China Bomb." The dealer was good about getting it approved, but they said they weren't sure it would get approved when I originally brought it in. They also claimed OEM tire issues were rare as well. I ended up running the OEM tires for 2 seasons and replacing them with much better (IMO) LT tires before I had any more failures.

I agree that it would be really nice if FR and other manufacturers offered better tires as a factory option, but it seems to be pretty limited as far as brands that come with LT's or offer an optional upgrade.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:

X4

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:

X5

I have been running the OEM tires since 09 on 3 different trailers and running orientals for a lot longer on equipment trailers, not many issues at all.

The last person I want to defend are the RV manufacturers though, so I qualify that as this was on a popup and 2 hybrids, where the LRC tires had spare capacity in relation to trailer weight.

I do believe that using tires right at the legal limit is not good and causes some issues but I don't think its as huge an issue as found in these RV and camping forums. I'd like to know the actual percentage of failures compared to the millions of tires that leave Indiana, and it is millions.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

I just replaced (at my cost) my china Bombs! See my thread "China Bombs bite the dust". FYI----I want with MAXXIS tires after a lot of investigation.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

X6

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000