Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #21

Agreed. these trailers are just too heavy for E rated tires. I opted for the G rated when we ordered. Another thing, is that these trailers ought to come with disc brakes too. Mine are getting converted this week.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #22

we have a 2015 cardinal 3825 and it came with g rated goodyear g614's. i'm totally thankful for that. everything I have read about the g614's says they are good tires for such heavy trailers. I check the inflation all the time (110psi). one thing to check for is the inflation placard on the trailer. ours placard was for the standard load range e tires and does not reflect the good year g614's.

also, I have read good things about the g-rated sailun tires. they are quite am bit less expensive than the goodyear.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #23
bigdaddy1

I too ordered my Cardinal 3850RL with the G-614 tires. If it had arrived at dealer with anything but I was walking away period!

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #24

We are running the Sailun S637 tires on our 3825. We have traveled a little more than 6,000 miles since we swapped out the E rated Marathons that came with the coach. Tires and rims came off old coach. Dealer swapped them out at our request. DW refused delivery until they made the swap.
In our traveling work crew out of 8 trailers 5 are running sailuns. We put a lot of miles on and the Sailun tires hold up well. Don't abuse them and they'll do the job as well or better than the G614s.
DW, 2 Spoiled Beagles IZZY and Pup Pup,
And Hillbilly Bob an American Bobtail Rescue Cat.
Seeing America one jobsite at a time..
Leonandpandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonandpandora View Post
We are running the Sailun S637 tires on our 3825. We have traveled a little more than 6,000 miles since we swapped out the E rated Marathons that came with the coach. Tires and rims came off old coach. Dealer swapped them out at our request. DW refused delivery until they made the swap.
In our traveling work crew out of 8 trailers 5 are running sailuns. We put a lot of miles on and the Sailun tires hold up well. Don't abuse them and they'll do the job as well or better than the G614s.
Did they do the swap before or after the papers were signed? One procedure is legal, the other is not.

If they did the swap before the trailer was sold they violated the manufacturer/dealer trust if the procedure was not approved by the vehicle manufacturer. They also violated NHTSA regulations by selling a trailer with tires of a different size on the trailer's certification label/tire placard.

If they did the swap after the trailer was sold, NHTSA allows an auxiliary tire placard. It can be displayed next to the original tire placard and shows the size of the plus sized tires along with the necessary cold inflation pressures. BUT, if the vehicle manufacturer has not approved such upgrades the dealer is going to be on their BAD list for violating manufacturer/dealer trusts. Warranty issues could be at risk.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #26

Swap agreed to verbally before papers were signed but done after papers were signed. As in I want my tires and rims transferred or I'm not signing the paperwork.
At the time we purchased there was a recall for the tire placard. Units built one month after mine Oct. 2015 have placards for G inflation.
I pretty much agree with Wifes assessment that she didn't want to take the unit off the lot until the tires were changed. The E tires are under rated for the size of the unit.
I know forest river says the E tires are sufficient for the unit. DW believes it is better to have too much tire than not enough.
As to the dealer. Legal or not, moral or not, They did what was needed to get us to sign. Although I'm sure they probably left the E tires on my big country with a G placard when they sold it.
I have no working relationship with the dealer as we have not been within 600 miles of them since purchase. We use this unit as a second home for work and we are traveling constantly 11 months of the year.
Regardless, These large units need the G tires to overcome the blow out problems they seem to have. If we were keeping this unit we would probably go to 17.5 H rated tires and rims and not worry if we have "enough" tire.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #27

As for warranty, I've had one item replaced under warranty and it was the rear air. Qualified on site tech got it replaced in 2 days. The forest river dealer where we were wanted us to bring it in and leave it we'll look at it. I'm living in it I really can't bring it in and leave it for 2 weeks. So I found a Qualified mobile rv tech.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #28
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Even with the upgraded tires you should take your trailer to some scales, loaded with whatever your normal load is for traveling. You may be surprised by the difference in loads per individual axle and individual wheel position (even with their close spacing).

All on-board water is considered and stored as cargo.
X2. That rig needs to be scaled.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #29

I bought my 3250RL this last May. Went to Talladega, AL. then back home to FL. I watched and checked those Goodyear Marathon tires Everytime we stopped for any reason. We made home ok. Yesterday I went to Tire Kingdom and had Sailun St235/85R16 G rated tires on our 5er. I read alot of reviews on the tire. Only cost me $850.00 for the set of 4.
ramblinman8120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #30

I was searching for G rated tires and found these at etrailer.com

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...PRG235R16.html

Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 14 and a 4,080-lb max load at 110 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 16" wheels.
$185.40 per tire with free shipping In Stock

Or

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...e/LHWL410.html
Radial special trailer tire has a 14-ply rating and a 4,080-lb max load at 110 psi. Constructed of double steel belts and plies with a nylon overlay. Fits 16" wheels and for highway use. Complimentary roadside assistance included.
$219.43 Per tire ....... do not appear to be In Stock at this moment

They are only 1" larger in diameter than 235 80/16 tires so should fit those too if you have the clearance for them. You just need to INSURE your rims will handle the 110 PSI pressure. Both are also rated for 75 MPH. I will still limit myself to 65 MPH because it is easier letting the rest of the traffic pass me and I get much better fuel mileage at 65 than at 75 even when not towing my camper

Both are actually less expensive than the Maxxis 8008s I purchased last time.

I have dealt with these people in the past and they are SUPER to deal with!

My next tires will be one of these sets. Personally I like the idea of free roadside assistance.

Tags
tire, tires