Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

Talking Watch TV from inverter for refrigerator?

Hi all; hope you are all enjoying your adventures. Been awhile since I've been on here.

I want to share a revelation I recently had. When we picked up our new 18 3350rlx, I got a quote from selling dealer to install a larger inverter so that the downstairs outlets, TV, and microwave would work off the grid. Declined their $3500 offer in lieu of propane to run the generator.

Then one morning it dawned on me that the TV is in the same slide as the refrigerator. Located the outlet for the frig behind the drawer under oven. Found all the manuals for the electronics we have, which totalled 240 watts.
I've never seen the frig draw more than 399 watts. These units come equipped with a 1200 watt inverter. So, 400+240 equals 640; just over half the inverter capacity. $20 worth of outlet strip and related later, we have TV, soundbar, DVD, and dish receiver all running off the inverter. I even bought a triple tap thinking that the frig outlet would be a single; it was in fact a double and the outlet strip plugged right in. Almost like FR might have thought of this themselves and chickened out. I ran a short extension cord into the cabinet next to the fireplace where the dish receiver is, and used a plug in on/off switch to cut power to the receiver if we are not using it.

Hope this helps some of you out! Happy travels
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #2

Hi Dave, we too have a 2018 3350 RLX (love it), but I'm not aware that I have an inverter. Is your fridge a residential fridge, or propane/electric (which I have)? I've been thinking about how to wire in an inverter, primarily to run the TV/ Satellite box/DVD when we dry camp (rarely). Where is your inverter located?
Thanks, Gil
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

Hi, not Dave, but my inverter is right above my batteries which support my residential refrigerator.
Pipcoo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #4

my inverter is in the same place. it is mounted upside down on the bottom of the shelf that holds the lippert hydraulic system.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #5

GilnJo, this is Dave. Sorry for the delay. If your unit has the RV style frig which is capable of running off the propane, then you likely do not have the OEM inverter. Its sole purpose is to power the frig when not connected to shorepower. It does not seem to be connected to any other circuits.
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

I installed a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter near my batteries and ran wiring to tv in bedroom and living room so when dry camping just plug into the new outlets.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, refrigerator