Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

Water Leak in New 3250 Cardinal

We picked up our new 5er and started going through all of the systems to learn them for ourselves and not just a demo. All was going well until I filled the fresh water tank.
I had the hose running and was watching the gage inside the trailer. When it got to 2/3 I though that was good enough so turned the hose off. Then I heard a trickle of water from the back of the trailer. There are two pipes coming through the underbelly with one being open and the other capped. The capped pipe had water running down the outside of it coming through the spray foam insulation that sealed the pipe around the underbelly.
Of course I panicked and started draining the tank by pulling the cap off. I also could feel a fair amount of water was in the underbelly so pulled the foam away to facilitate getting the water out as quick as possible.
I called the dealer and they were quite surprised and said it would be covered by the warranty but their warranty person was off till Monday. They said they had seen a water tank completely drop down onto the underbelly after several months of use but nothing like this.

Oh, I did check my water pressure and it's 55# which it has been for years. I filled my coach up with no problems and without the inline pressure reducer.
Update:
My dealer is 4 hours away and there is another one in Vegas that is 3 hours away. The dealer is trying to get approval for someone to come to me.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
Bill
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

I got quick results this morning from both the dealer and Cardinal warranty Mgr! They approved having it done by a shop locally in Lake Havasu that I'v dealt with numerous times in the past. I take it in tomorrow then I'll see what the issue is.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Glad they got on it for you
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

I never put much faith in the sensors. I always fill a gollon jug and time it to full and then go by my watch . Just check the sensor after and see if it is somewhat on.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Did you find out what caused the leak? The water tank falling out seems to be an ongoing problem. Do a search on the subject and you will see. The previous owner of my 2013 3675 told me his fell out on the first trip. Apparently the shop didn't fix it good enough and placed a thin sheet of plywood under it and after two years the weight of the tank warped the plywood and allowed it to partially slip out causing it to protrude through the plastic under carriage covering. I ended up repairing it myself with thicker plywood and welding two support braces. So my advice is to make sure whoever does the repair that they do it correctly.
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454466125.407610.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	98819

The shop dropped a bit of the underbelly and was able to see that the drain connection to the tank is cracked.
FR is trying to get a new tank on the way and I'll get an eta tomorrow.
The picture also shows a metal bracket holding the tank up now. It appears that they have corrected the issue of tanks falling out. When the new tank arrives and we get full access I'll see haw the bracket is attached.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #7

Glad to see they are taking care of you and that they have corrected the falling tank issue
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Doesn't the Cardinal have an overflow vent? Or does it have a valve at the city water connection? I have always filled my fresh water tank until the water gushed out of the overflow pipe. I would never rely on the gages. My gage shows full when it's really only 3/4 full.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Doesn't the Cardinal have an overflow vent? Or does it have a valve at the city water connection? I have always filled my fresh water tank until the water gushed out of the overflow pipe. I would never rely on the gages. My gage shows full when it's really only 3/4 full.
Yep, they have an overflow vent. My rig is in my enclosed shop so I don't want to flood myself out. I made that mistake once with my coach and I thought it would never quit running onto the floor...even after I turned the hose off.
When I go on dry camping trips I pull it out to fill all the way like you do.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
Yep, they have an overflow vent. My rig is in my enclosed shop so I don't want to flood myself out. I made that mistake once with my coach and I thought it would never quit running onto the floor...even after I turned the hose off.
When I go on dry camping trips I pull it out to fill all the way like you do.
Gottcha. Yeah the do spill out for awhile.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
Rick and Sandy Dyer

The same thing happened to my 3850 RL. The tank was cracked . The dealer handled the problem quickly but getting a new tanks for me

Rick and Sandy Dyer

2016 Cardinal
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, leak, water, water leak