Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #1

Well finally after about 6 months we used it.

To many things going on, after 6 months of paying for our new Cardinal 3250, last weekend we were able to go about 15 minutes down the street to a campground by our house for the weekend and try it out.

I was pumped to go so not much could get me down, it started out kind of slow I went to raise the front landing gear and the batteries were to low to raise them, bummer, so much for my custom Solar panels, we'll look at that later, got my spare 12 volt deep cycle battery and hooked it up with jumper cables, keep the battery hooked up until we left, put it in the back of the truck.

Thats when I found out the electric brakes don't like to work without good batteries., (I didn't know that you needed good batteries to make your brakes work) oh well now I do.

We got there and all was good and all worked great, plugged in and all batteries were good, still haven't had a chance to see why solar panels didn't keep my batteries up the first time.

Next weekend we are on our way to Flagstaff to see our Daughter and her Husband and our 5th granddaughter, CAN'T WAIT (well I really can but you know what I mean)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st trip .jpg
Views:	179
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	122316  

Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #2

Nice setup! Don't forget to meausure the height yoursel and get a motor carrier atlas at a truck stop. It will have all the height restrictions on any hiway that you may go on. A cheap backup to any gps. That Ram Gps sucks! I have one and it will run you crazy. Get an Rv or truckers GPS. Have fun !

Old 10-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #3

You have a nice set up. Use it and enjoy it. We have met people from all over.over, which is a nice perk to RVing. You will too. Have fun.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #4

Not sure why your trailer brakes are being affected by a depleted battery on the rig. Your 12v battery powers the brakes in the event the breakaway wire is pulled in a disconnect situation. Driving down the road your brakes are powered by 12v from the tow vehicle.

Daryll
Old 10-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

I would have thought the same thing. but I learned differently that day.
The day when I started going I did a pull test and realized something was not right, checked my plug about a million times, adjusted the controller over and over (good thing for diesel brake and tow haul mode) by now I am almost to our camp site. I plugged in and checked my charging and all was good at that time.
Time came to leave and did a pull test all is good stopped me right in my tracks.
I will be checking my batteries better before a trip from now on.
On my solar panels must have had to much dust on them? we will see about that, will be checking that out also.
But all in all a good trip.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Ditto. Your trailer brakes should in no way have been affected by the charge of the trailer battery. Those brakes are powered straight from your tow vehicle. I would double check your ground wires and connectors.

Glad you finally got it out though!

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Batteries

Any chance you had your batteries or solar in disconnect mode? Even in disconnect mode, there are a few things that stay live, such as CO-2 detectors and such that will run down the battery bank.
A Loving wife and Mason the always dirty dog!
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Safe travels.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1 View Post

Next weekend we are on our way to Flagstaff to see our Daughter and her Husband and our 5th granddaughter, CAN'T WAIT (well I really can but you know what I mean)
Take time to check the basic things out before the big first trip. Nothing spoils that first outing faster than overlooking something simple.

Hope all goes well and safe travels. BTW you have a beautiful setup. Enjoy.

Don't forget to

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

You need to check your brake controller and wiring. The trailer batteries have nothing to do with the TV stopping. One way to check your trailer brakes is to pull your emergency stop cable. This should lock your trailer up and not be able to move it at all.

2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote