Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #1

Well finally after about 6 months we used it.

To many things going on, after 6 months of paying for our new Cardinal 3250, last weekend we were able to go about 15 minutes down the street to a campground by our house for the weekend and try it out.

I was pumped to go so not much could get me down, it started out kind of slow I went to raise the front landing gear and the batteries were to low to raise them, bummer, so much for my custom Solar panels, we'll look at that later, got my spare 12 volt deep cycle battery and hooked it up with jumper cables, keep the battery hooked up until we left, put it in the back of the truck.

Thats when I found out the electric brakes don't like to work without good batteries., (I didn't know that you needed good batteries to make your brakes work) oh well now I do.

We got there and all was good and all worked great, plugged in and all batteries were good, still haven't had a chance to see why solar panels didn't keep my batteries up the first time.

Next weekend we are on our way to Flagstaff to see our Daughter and her Husband and our 5th granddaughter, CAN'T WAIT (well I really can but you know what I mean)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st trip .jpg
Views:	284
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	122316  
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Nice setup! Don't forget to meausure the height yoursel and get a motor carrier atlas at a truck stop. It will have all the height restrictions on any hiway that you may go on. A cheap backup to any gps. That Ram Gps sucks! I have one and it will run you crazy. Get an Rv or truckers GPS. Have fun !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #3

You have a nice set up. Use it and enjoy it. We have met people from all over.over, which is a nice perk to RVing. You will too. Have fun.
TXCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

Not sure why your trailer brakes are being affected by a depleted battery on the rig. Your 12v battery powers the brakes in the event the breakaway wire is pulled in a disconnect situation. Driving down the road your brakes are powered by 12v from the tow vehicle.

Daryll
FLY4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

I would have thought the same thing. but I learned differently that day.
The day when I started going I did a pull test and realized something was not right, checked my plug about a million times, adjusted the controller over and over (good thing for diesel brake and tow haul mode) by now I am almost to our camp site. I plugged in and checked my charging and all was good at that time.
Time came to leave and did a pull test all is good stopped me right in my tracks.
I will be checking my batteries better before a trip from now on.
On my solar panels must have had to much dust on them? we will see about that, will be checking that out also.
But all in all a good trip.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #6

Ditto. Your trailer brakes should in no way have been affected by the charge of the trailer battery. Those brakes are powered straight from your tow vehicle. I would double check your ground wires and connectors.

Glad you finally got it out though!

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Batteries

Any chance you had your batteries or solar in disconnect mode? Even in disconnect mode, there are a few things that stay live, such as CO-2 detectors and such that will run down the battery bank.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #8

Safe travels.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1 View Post

Next weekend we are on our way to Flagstaff to see our Daughter and her Husband and our 5th granddaughter, CAN'T WAIT (well I really can but you know what I mean)
Take time to check the basic things out before the big first trip. Nothing spoils that first outing faster than overlooking something simple.

Hope all goes well and safe travels. BTW you have a beautiful setup. Enjoy.

Don't forget to

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
You need to check your brake controller and wiring. The trailer batteries have nothing to do with the TV stopping. One way to check your trailer brakes is to pull your emergency stop cable. This should lock your trailer up and not be able to move it at all.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Thanks for all the thoughts and great Idea's,
Yes the battery disconnect was in the off position, I would think the Solar should still charge.
I don't know if the fact this trailer has electric over hydraulic disc brakes has anything to do with the low battery deal, but as soon has I have more battery power they work better and better I tried charging my batteries that day and the more power they got the more the brakes worked.

I still have no Idea why the solar didn't do its job, maybe to dirty? I don't think so. I have 2 deep cycle batteries it should have worked.
The truck has a built in brake controller I don't think the wiring would be bad.

I have pulled it before taking it back to the dealer a couple of times and the brakes worked to good at first had to really lower the setting on the controller, also after the weekend of charging once again worked like a charm.

Thanks for the comments on the setup we really like it also, I can't wait to take in on a real trip and see how it tows.
A few more days and I will see.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #12

I hate to appear basic but did you try adjusting the trailer brake controller in your TV? Many people new to towning don't realize it can be set and become more effective if adjusted correctly. Your owners manual should have the directions, but basically, start at around 6 and work up ward til it holds you in yoru driveway at an idle without moving.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #13

Yeah I have adjusted my brake controller, thanks for the thought, I am sure that the battery's being low had my brakes not working.
Also I noticed when my battery cut off switch is off the solar panels don't charge and check now with the cut off switch on the panels are charging, just learned something of some importance to me.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

Something else you can learn of importance, as many have already pointed out, is that your trailer battery has nothing to do with your brakes other than supplying the power to lock them up if your pin gets pulled. Look for another explanation and try to get the battery causing the problem out of your head.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #15

Wow, that is a beautiful! Congratulations and sorry for the growing pains. Better to learn local than 300 miles from home
Old 10-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #16

Just out of curiosity, with my batteries all charged up the brakes work fine, when the batteries were too low they didn't work, as I charged them it got better. my battery cut off switch was off at first also.
Could it be because they are disk brakes, just wondering if that has anything to do with that particular situation?
I have 2 other trailers with electric brakes and they work fine, the smaller one with 2 axles if I leave the brake controller on the same setting as the 5er (that is 3 on the setting of Heavy electric over hydraulic) as soon as I touch the brake pedal the tires lock up, even with a car on it. and it has no battery.

I am a little baffled. I will just make sure my batteries are up and ready
Old 10-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #17
Jack of All Trades

With electric over hydraulic disk brakes, 12VDC power is required to drive the hydraulic pump and pump controller. This is usually supplied from the TT batteries. So, if your batteries are dead, (or battery disconnect is off, depending on wiring) you have no brakes.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
You need to check your brake controller and wiring. The trailer batteries have nothing to do with the TV stopping. One way to check your trailer brakes is to pull your emergency stop cable. This should lock your trailer up and not be able to move it at all.
GOOD TEST!!!!!!! ....BUT.....do not leave on for too long as it will burn out the brakes!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #19

RJHuser, Thanks for the reply and after my experience I have to agree with you, That could be messed up to have your battery disconnect off and your brakes not work and not realize the problem.
Its nice to at least hear someone agree with the low battery dilemma.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #20

We just bought a 2017 3250RL also, I really like your paint better tho. I can't pickup ours yet however cuz ford changed the frame on a 2017 f250 and no one has the under bed set up for the hitch. Can I ask you what resources do you have or planning on for low clearances, maybe there's not much to worry about but my trailer is 13'6". Yikes!
Thanks
Scotrod106 is offline   Reply With Quote