Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Winterizing newer Cardinals with Nautilus P1 water management system

All,

My 2017 Cardinal didn't come with all of the required documentation(manuals), and since it is time to think about winterizing in the northern climates, I thought I would post this info as it was helpful for me.

If you have a water panel that looks like this:

Then the instruction manual can be found from the panel manufacturer here:
http://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

In it, you will find the step by step process for properly winterizing the basic pumbing of your trailer, including this panel. The panel performs the proper water heater bypass as well. Surprisingly, the instructions require blowing the panel out with the valves in a certain postion, to clear the passages behind the system too. Then, followed by RV antifreeze through all the lines to all fixtures. Follow your additional instructions for winterizing additional items like clothes washer, refrigerator water/ice maker as well.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Thanks so much for posting this, I'll save the link. We just bought a 2017 Cardinal 3250RL but not able pickup yet as no one has a under bed set up for the hitch for a 2017 f250 cuz ford changed the frame. Anyway, can I ask where and what elevation your at? We live in Placerville Ca at 1700 ft and doesn't get much below 28 degrees for a few hours overnight in the winter. Would you still winterize?
Thanks
Scotrod106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotrod106 View Post
Thanks so much for posting this, I'll save the link. We just bought a 2017 Cardinal 3250RL but not able pickup yet as no one has a under bed set up for the hitch for a 2017 f250 cuz ford changed the frame. Anyway, can I ask where and what elevation your at? We live in Placerville Ca at 1700 ft and doesn't get much below 28 degrees for a few hours overnight in the winter. Would you still winterize?
Thanks
I am in Michigan, about 700' above sea level. If it were me, I'd winterize. The few dollars you spend to be safe far outweighs the cost to repair split pipes.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotrod106 View Post
Thanks
It's sometimes useful to check "historic" weather records when making important decisions. According to my search for Placerville, CA, the record low in December, 1990 was 8°F and in January, 2000 was 11°. So, there's a reasonable chance you will save yourself some grief by winterizing.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Greetings. We've got a brand new 3950TZ, wiinterized, just waiting for April first to roll around. Any tips out there for De-Winterizing?....including Dish Washer and Ice Maker.....thanks.
Dylanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

It will be my first de-winterize too! I don't expect this to be any different approach than my old simple travel trailer, just a few more steps. I'd set the levers to winterize, hook up the hose, and flush all the lines out to all faucets/appliances (except, see note below). Then I would switch to "city water" mode, and continue to flush, this time, it will send water to the water heater, which I would leave the anode plug removed(initially, but then pause, and replace) so that the water heater gets flushed out. I'd be running water through the refridge if you have a water/ice dispenser, washer, dishwasher, etc to get the AF out. Finally, I'd load the fresh water tank with bleach/water run it through all the lines, and let it sit for a few hours/over night, and then drain/flush the lines with fresh water. Lastly, reinstall whole coach water filter with new cartridge(if you have one).

One thing to note, if you de-winterize early in the season, when you may still get freezing temps and you would normally run a electric heater/furnace overnight to keep things from freezing, I've noticed that the refrigerator waterline runs out of the coach, and into the big slide outside of the heated basement. That thin little line will freeze pretty quickly, and possibly in a not easily fixed location. On my 2017 cardinal there is a push/pull shutoff valve for the ice maker line, and if I de-winterize early, I'll leave that line closed with antifreeze in it, until we get past the freezing overnights. I'll just live without water/icemaker in the refrigerator at that time.

Cant wait for camping season to get here!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

I have a 2015 cardinal 3825fl. it does not have the water management panel shown but one that is pretty close. I was able to winterize it ok (at least I hope so). but there are a couple of topics in this post that I would like more info on (if possible).

1. it was stated that there is a valve in the water supply line going to the residential refrigerator (ours is a Frigidaire). where is it again? I need to find mine. would it be possible to cut into this line on the side that goes to the refrigerator and put in a tee fitting and a second valve to act like a drain valve? the intent would be to close the factory installed supply valve and then open the drain valve to drain the water from the refrigerator. would this avoid having to pump antifreeze into the refrigerator?
2. when I winterized and pumped antifreeze into the refrigerator. I ran a lot of water out the cold water dispenser but never really saw pink antifreeze coming out. I ran a lot of water! could the refrigerator water filter be filtering out the pink color? I did not have power when winterizing so I was never able to leave the ice maker on a get pink ice. my concern is getting antifreeze into the ice make supply line. any suggestions?
3. my plan to dewinterize is to basically hook up to city water and flush every line. once everything has been flushed then put in new filters in both the trailer filter (hw1/fr1) and the refrigerator filter. (santa was so nice, he gave both as presents)!
4. I made up a couple of hoses to help with the winterizing. one to draw antifreeze from the jug into the pump inlet. and one for the washer faucets in the rear. screw a short tube onto the faucet outlet and put it down the drain into the grey tank. much cleaner than trying to catch the water in a bucket.

thanks for the info
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I have a 2015 cardinal 3825fl. it does not have the water management panel shown but one that is pretty close. I was able to winterize it ok (at least I hope so). but there are a couple of topics in this post that I would like more info on (if possible).

1. it was stated that there is a valve in the water supply line going to the residential refrigerator (ours is a Frigidaire). where is it again? I need to find mine. would it be possible to cut into this line on the side that goes to the refrigerator and put in a tee fitting and a second valve to act like a drain valve? the intent would be to close the factory installed supply valve and then open the drain valve to drain the water from the refrigerator. would this avoid having to pump antifreeze into the refrigerator?
2. when I winterized and pumped antifreeze into the refrigerator. I ran a lot of water out the cold water dispenser but never really saw pink antifreeze coming out. I ran a lot of water! could the refrigerator water filter be filtering out the pink color? I did not have power when winterizing so I was never able to leave the ice maker on a get pink ice. my concern is getting antifreeze into the ice make supply line. any suggestions?
3. my plan to dewinterize is to basically hook up to city water and flush every line. once everything has been flushed then put in new filters in both the trailer filter (hw1/fr1) and the refrigerator filter. (santa was so nice, he gave both as presents)!
4. I made up a couple of hoses to help with the winterizing. one to draw antifreeze from the jug into the pump inlet. and one for the washer faucets in the rear. screw a short tube onto the faucet outlet and put it down the drain into the grey tank. much cleaner than trying to catch the water in a bucket.

thanks for the info
I'll give my opinion.

1) the location of the valve may vary. on my 2017 cardinal, they plumbed it right into the water docking station area, not shown on the first post(I pulled that photo from the internet). It is a simple push/pull valve, with the refridgerator waterline connected by a compression nut. As for "draining" the line, not likely. However you could probabably push low pressure compressed air through. The reason I do not like this method is that the electric valve in the refridge will break if all the water is not removed. The thought of removing that refrigerator from the slide in the trailer to replace that valve is enough reason for me to just use the pinkstuff. Again, my opinion....others will disagree.

2) Does your refrigerator have a water filter? I've seen other post that the filter removes the "pink" color. I purchased a filter cartridge replacement kit, that is basically a filterless cartridge made specifically to "disable" the filter in the regridgerator for those homes that have a whole-home filtration system. My cardinal does have the filter shown in the first post filtering all the water. If you didnt want to permanently bypass the refridge filter, you could still buy one for winterization purposes and then replace it in the spring.

3) sounds like a good plan. Dont forget to sanitize with bleach/water, probably before you replace the filters. But your call.

4) I did the same for drawing water out of the jug. For your rear faucets, I assume you are talking about the washer prep, when there is no washer connected? Thats a good idea. I actually have a washer and dryer, and ran the pink into the washer, but running hot only, then spin cycle, then cold only, and spin cycle.

Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #9

to dave, thank you!

I did not know about the water filter bypass for the refrigerator. I will check it out, and yes, I am convinced the refrigerator water filter is removing the pick color.

yes I have washer /dryer prep but do not have the appliances. a short piece of plastic tubing with a female garden hose thread connector on it allows me to screw onto the hot and cold faucets and direct the water directly down into the grey tank drain.

you trailer / truck is beautiful! same paint job as ours and we also have a metallic colored truck (dodge).
Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
to dave, thank you!

I did not know about the water filter bypass for the refrigerator. I will check it out, and yes, I am convinced the refrigerator water filter is removing the pick color.

yes I have washer /dryer prep but do not have the appliances. a short piece of plastic tubing with a female garden hose thread connector on it allows me to screw onto the hot and cold faucets and direct the water directly down into the grey tank drain.

you trailer / truck is beautiful! same paint job as ours and we also have a metallic colored truck (dodge).
Thanks! and you're Welcome. Now lets get out there, and burn some firewood!

Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
All,

My 2017 Cardinal didn't come with all of the required documentation(manuals), and since it is time to think about winterizing in the northern climates, I thought I would post this info as it was helpful for me.

If you have a water panel that looks like this:

Then the instruction manual can be found from the panel manufacturer here: http://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

In it, you will find the step by step process for properly winterizing the basic pumbing of your trailer, including this panel. The panel performs the proper water heater bypass as well. Surprisingly, the instructions require blowing the panel out with the valves in a certain postion, to clear the passages behind the system too. Then, followed by RV antifreeze through all the lines to all fixtures. Follow your additional instructions for winterizing additional items like clothes washer, refrigerator water/ice maker as well.
Updated the link the user manual above.

Tags
cardinal, water, winter, winterize