Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #1

2014 Shasta Phoenix Fifth Wheel

we just purchased a shasta 5th wheel (phoenix re) anyone have good/bad feedback?
Shamong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Pic of Shasta Phoenix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	42382  
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Shasta. Great looking camper!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

I'm interested in one of these also. Will be looking at one this week, any pros or cons with yours?
Barraacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Back to Shasta Camping...

Phoenix 32re

Purchased new 2014 camper in early January. Have used it a butt load so far... Have swapped out 90% of light to LEDs on the interior...

Problems thus far include replacing a plumbing one way valve under our bath room vanity. Sink drain joints came loose... Window leak which required recaulking... Front cap screw on trim broken/sheared... Clearance light not wired properly...

Some of the above we fixed ourselves due to distance from dealer. Last two items in the list above were fixed by dealer following our shakedown.

Overall,we are very pleased with the value and quality in our upgrade (prior trailer was 2013 Cougar 30FKV.

At this point we have no regrets other than purchasing the Cougar before the PHOENIX.

Happy Travels,

B n D
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
--------------------------------------------------
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Phoenix 32RE

We had our Phoenix 32RE delivered from Michigan (Terrytown RV) in November 2013. We saved a great deal of money purchasing it from Terrytown RV in Michigan. Tanner was our salesman. Actually, at the time, there were no dealers carrying the Phoenix in New Jersey. We Skyped with Terrytown RV and the Phoenix was delivered the following week.

We have been very happy with the Shasta Phoenix 32RE. The unit has everything we wanted in a fifth wheel - rear living room, open floor plan, fireplace, large shower, 15K AC, 50 Amp service, upgraded insulation package, good size bedroom closest, 16-inch wheels, theater seating, 10-gallon water heater, rear jacks, etc. We used it in temperature of the upper 20's and we were perfectly warm inside. The only problem we had was the plastic vacuum breaker check valve under the bathroom vanity broke and leaked slightly when we used the black tank rinse system. We replaced it with a new brass part and it is fine now.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #7

We just bought one in November 2013. Just took it on our first trip two weeks ago.. Love it but have had a few issues. The slide trim had to be replaced once and when they did the two sides don't match. That is being addressed but when we went on our fist trip we found a piece of the slider trim broke again. Also some plumbing issues, accidentally found our water tank hose was too big and the dealer replaced with a different hose. Also had a leak in the shower plumbing. Our dealer is handling all issues but a little frustrating before you even use it once.
lwalker6446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #8

We have the 2014 32RE which we picked up Aug 1 last summer. We love the setup and comfort, coming from a smaller TT with no slides and bunks, this is so roomy and a nice setup for Mom and Dad now that the kids have grown.

We took ours in last December for some warranty items, no access hole for the manual crank for the front landing gear, the manual crank on the kitchen slide wasn't connected, just sitting there on a strange angle, and the AC was always freezing up, though we only used it at night on a couple of occasions.

The hole was added, the rod for the slide connected, and the dealer found the freeze plug (I think that's what he said) wasn't installed causing the AC to freeze up. After thawing out and running again it seemed to work fine for them.

A major issue was discovered by the dealer though and has us a bit concerned. The kitchen/passenger side slide isn't fully connected to the frame and will need to go back to Forest River.

The dealer called and asked if I had any issues since they found the bottom fridge vent on the ground, they pressed on the wall and it was soft. he said they don't delaminate, since it's a "hung wall" and it had separated from the frame. I lost the bottom vent on our first trip and just figured it wasn't installed correctly and ordered another one off of Ebay since we had a trip within two weeks and figured I could get it done quicker.

The good news is that FR is standing behind the product and letting us use it this summer and we will drop it off at the dealer for a trip back to have the wall repaired this fall.

My only gripes, which are minor is that the bathroom sink on ours is small (the one at the Feb 14 trailer show was a bigger), I call it a prison sink, since it reminds me of the size of a sink in our jail (I'm not an inmate, just a firefighter that has to pick up prisoners from time to time) and the Revolution hitch while I like it overall, the trailer will be a little further over on one side depending on which way you turned last by just an inch or two. I seem to notice the 104 inch width more than my former 96 inch wide TT in some tight construction zones.

Oh yeah and I can't figure out how to remove the glass to clean the fireplace, which I will post a separate thread.

Can't wait to get her back and get ready for the season.
dayooper951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the info, after searching and looking at what seemed to be a hundred trailers we finally decided on a Keystone Outback.
Barraacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #10

We have just purchased a 33CK, yesterday. So far, it's been a nightmare. We sanitized the fresh water tank and started out this morning for a trip to Wisconsin Dells. Stepped on the brake and water came rushing out of the frame everywhere. Took it back to where we bought it and the hose from the filler neck had a large hole in it from where the factory tried to heat shrink it. It was fixed and the bottom dried and resealed.

We are over 200 miles from home at the dells, and come back from dinner and the trailer is flooded.

Has anyone else has these problems?
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #11

Water everywhere

We had the same issue with the bottom filling up with water. It was a hose/clamp issue. It was replaced and also another issue under the bathroom sink. We have had way to many issues for a new trailer but our dealer has been great. I also contacted forest river and they will stand behind everything, but the quality control definitely needs major upgrading. No pride in their workmanship, just get them out and sold.
lwalker6446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamong View Post
We had our Phoenix 32RE delivered from Michigan (Terrytown RV) in November 2013. We saved a great deal of money purchasing it from Terrytown RV in Michigan. Tanner was our salesman. Actually, at the time, there were no dealers carrying the Phoenix in New Jersey. We Skyped with Terrytown RV and the Phoenix was delivered the following week.

We have been very happy with the Shasta Phoenix 32RE. The unit has everything we wanted in a fifth wheel - rear living room, open floor plan, fireplace, large shower, 15K AC, 50 Amp service, upgraded insulation package, good size bedroom closest, 16-inch wheels, theater seating, 10-gallon water heater, rear jacks, etc. We used it in temperature of the upper 20's and we were perfectly warm inside. The only problem we had was the plastic vacuum breaker check valve under the bathroom vanity broke and leaked slightly when we used the black tank rinse system. We replaced it with a new brass part and it is fine now.

I am in NJ and looking at Primetime Crusader and Shasta Phoenix, I have a 2012 Shasta 27RLSS but want to go from TT to Fifth. Closest dealer to us now is in PA as we are in central NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I am in NJ and looking at Primetime Crusader and Shasta Phoenix, I have a 2012 Shasta 27RLSS but want to go from TT to Fifth. Closest dealer to us now is in PA as we are in central NJ.

Go to the Primetime website and watch all the videos on the quality checks they do on each unit and you should be convinced to go with the Crusader. That's what sold us!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
Go to the Primetime website and watch all the videos on the quality checks they do on each unit and you should be convinced to go with the Crusader. That's what sold us!

Which one did you wind up getting I was looking at the 190 but now I am down to the 294 as they just discontinued the 290

Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Which one did you wind up getting I was looking at the 190 but now I am down to the 294 as they just discontinued the 290

2014 295rst touring edition
Old 09-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #16

Quote:

The 294 has a beautiful pantry and cabinet area!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post

That was what made us decide on a Crusader too ! Also we went to the dealer who carried them to see one hands on and kick the tires - we were SOLD on the quality in person 👍

heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

Been to PT website and I like all the options they include talked to several dealers on a Crusader 294 just waiting to see who gives me the best deal

Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #19

Our Phoenix has been fixed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412043221.784471.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	63797 it was the hot water heater with a bad fitting. Not impressed with the quality control final inspection. This and the fact that they tried to heat shrink a plastic hose and burnt a hole in it rather than use the proper size, shows that the director of quality needs remedial training in what and how they are inspecting.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamong View Post

We looked at the 32RE a 2015 and dealer is trying to get $39,995 which we think is a tad high since we got a PT dealer who will sell us a 2015 295RST with everything for Mid $30's? Not sure which way to go as they are both nice but Crusader has auto leveling for less Phoenix has 10 gal HWHeater and 15K AC but otherwise they are about the same

Tags
fifth wheel, shasta, wheel